Internships are not required for CMM majors, but they are highly recommended.
Don’t know when to complete your internship? Feeling lost in the process and don’t know the next step? Consider these points when trying to find, apply, and complete your internship.
Use this post to help guide your application process: https://hawksites.newpaltz.edu/comm/2020/09/21/the-internship-process-outlined-do-not-wait-to-start-the-process/
- Get certified As Soon As Possible! If you are eligible you should apply for certification right away! Requirements for earning internship approval include having at least 18 credits completed or in progress for your major, 30+ credits completed/in progess at SUNY New Paltz, 60+ total credits completed/in progress, and at least a 2.5 overall GPA.
- Once you complete the paperwork and are approved to earn internship credits, you remain eligible until graduation as long as you still meet all the requirements. You do not need to resubmit the paperwork if you choose to wait another semester(s) to complete your internship!
- Summer internships will most likely cost money! Students pay out of pocket for credits earned during the summer, whether that be summer school or internships. If your financial aid doesn’t cover summer credits, plan to take your internship during the school year to avoid out-of-pocket costs.
- There are NO internships during the winter intersession. This session is only 3 weeks long and is not long enough to complete an internship. Internships are only available during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
Once you get approved to take internship credits (deadline for Spring is second Friday in November; deadline for Summer & Fall is second Friday in March), you need to find an internship placement. Here is a list of resources you can use to find an internship to suite you:
- List of Past Internships
- This list has EVERY internship DMJ and CMM students have completed since Spring 2012 and is updated every semester. It also has all the contact information for each of these internships. Use this resource!
- Internship Instagram for DMJ and CMM majors
- Our @npcommedia Instagram account is constantly uploading new internship opportunities. Check back here often!
- Find this in my.newpaltz.edu under the “Employment Resources” tab
- It has job and internship listings
- Media bistro
- This is a website created solely for job/internship listings in the media field. This is a great resource for all DMJ and CMM majors
- Vimeo video: Where Can I Look for an Internship?
- This video will show you all the great resources you can find internship opportunities. Try them all!