Please consult this Transfer Advising Checklist
Please watch the video major overview for all Communication Studies concentrations:
Spring 2021 Academic Advising Walkthrough from Jason Wrench on Vimeo. Closed captions: Spring 2021 Academic Advising Walkthrough_otter.ai (1).
Here is the presentation:
Every student must know how to read their DegreeWorks progress report: Tour of Progress Report – Transfers & First Year
Our department requires students to use the My Schedule Planner tool for creating their class schedule before meeting with their advisor. Please watch the tutorials: https://hawksites.newpaltz.edu/dmjnews/2020/03/09/use-my-schedule-planner/
Go through the Advising Checklist: Transfer-Advising-Checklist_for Fall 2021
Internships are OPTIONAL for Comm majors. Understand the requirements to be eligible to do an internship, by reading this post.
Nava Atlas is offering a website management and social media internship next semester. They are looking for a journalism, communications or media management major.
The internship will involve growing and maintaining two websites, creating content for their sites and managing their social media.
The websites include:
- Literary Ladies Guide celebrates the lives and work of classic women authors (with a secondary subject of women journalists from the past).
- The Vegan Atlas is a site featuring vegan recipes and lifestyle.
Internships activities would include (remote training can be provided):
- Create 2 to 3 new posts per week on mutually agreed upon topics.
- Learn what goes into creating good content for the web.
- Learn some fine points on SEO (Search Engine Optimization), which helps posts become
evergreen and findable through Google and other search engines.
- Create shareable graphics for Facebook and Pinterest using Canva or graphics program of your choice.
- Maintain and continue to build social media accounts, including Facebook, Instagram and
Pinterest. Develop strategies and keep records of metrics to see what’s working, and build on
This has always been a partially remote internship, so this would work well now as a 100% remote internship.
To apply, email email@example.com.