Shala Mills

Shala Mills

ROLE

In my Associate Provost and Dean roles, I’m eager to assist faculty in exploring innovative ways to improve student learning in all modalities. As an experienced online educator, I’m happy to share my own experience in online teaching.

EDUCATION

• JD, University of Kansas
  • BA Baylor University (History)
Shala Mills
Shala Mills

EXPERIENCE

• Associate Provost for Academic Planning & Learning Innovation/Dean of Graduate, Professional & Interdisciplinary Studies
  • Dean of Continuing & Online Education
  • Chair, Professor of Political Science (Fort Hays State University, Kansas)
  • Director of Liberal Education (Fort Hays State University, Kansas)
  • National Manager, National Blended Course Consortium (American Association of State Colleges & Universities)
  • National Coordinator, Global Challenges Project (American Association of State Colleges & Universities)

MENTOR STRENGTHS

I’ve been an online educator for more than 20 years. I helped take the FHSU Political Science major online and developed a blended model online program for a dual degree major with Shenyang Normal University in China. While at FHSU, I also helped develop multiple Masters of Liberal Studies concentrations for online delivery.

I was part of a multi-campus team that developed a blended model Global Challenges curriculum for the AASCU and I served as the National Coordinator of that project, publishing and presenting extensively about the work and co-authoring a digital textbook and eLearning adaptive learning environment.

I spent a 2015-16 sabbatical helping AASCU manage a larger set of model courses through its National Blended Course Consortium. I have developed ten different courses for online delivery including UG and GR courses and courses delivered domestically and in China.

COURSES

American Civil Liberties, Constitutional Law, Current Political Issues, Global Challenges, Introduction to Law, Legal Advocacy, Legal Research Methods, Orientation to Political Science, Political Philosophy, Sustainability & the Future.

HOBBIES

I love to read, cook, hike, and spend time with family and my mini-Australian Shepherd, Iris. Although time doesn’t permit it much now, I’m an amateur potter and I have a passion for functional pottery. I love live music, theater, and travel. And I plug away at learning Italian.