SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Faculty)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Budget Title: Assistant Professor
Local Title: Assistant Professor, Counselor Education
Posting Date: July 23, 2019
Duties: SUNY New Paltz is seeking a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor with a specialization in or significant training and/or experience in school counseling to teach in its Counselor Education Program.
• Training counselor education students
• Teaching specific school counseling courses such as Ethics and Professional Identity in School Counseling, Professional Roles in School Counseling, Practicum and Internship in School Counseling, as well as general counseling courses such as Counseling Skills, Counseling Theories, and Research Methods and Program Evaluation
• Active program of scholarly research and publications
• Student advising
• Program, departmental, college-wide, and professional service
• Doctoral degree in counselor education, preferably from a CACREP-accredited program or related doctoral degree, excellent ABD candidates with a firm date of completion, preferably by August 1, 2020, will be considered
• Full-time faculty employment as a member in a counselor education program for a minimum of one full academic year before July 1, 2013
• Evidence of teaching effectiveness
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to build successful professional and mentoring relationships
• Certified or eligible for certification as a school counselor in New York State. Counselor educators who are licensed or license eligible as a mental health counselor (LMHC) will be considered if they have significant training and experience within the discipline of school counseling
• Strong working knowledge of the American School Counselor Association’s (ASCA) National Model
• Familiarity of the standards and accrediting process related to the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
• Record of publishing and/or presenting counseling-related peer-reviewed research and evidence of future research potential
Contact Information: Electronic submission required. Candidates are required to submit a cover letter, CV, full data from student evaluations of courses (if available) and may submit publications (if available; URL accepted). Professional references provided by applicant will receive an email with link to upload reference letter. To apply, please visit
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications accepted until position is filled; priority given to those received by 10/1/19.
Other important information about this vacancy: The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
SUNY New Paltz recognizes the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work here is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members–students, faculty and staff. The College’s commitment to inclusive excellence is an important part of our mission of public education and our culture. New Paltz continues to work on building a community that supports freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support these values of diversity and inclusiveness and candidates of all diverse backgrounds who wish to participate in our cultural aspirations are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Web Site: https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1075
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at https://www.newpaltz.edu/firesafety/safetyreport.html.