Victorian London: Making-Up

After searching for a while trying to find an article that interests me in Lee Jackson’s Dictionary of Victorian London, I stumbled upon the Women’s section http://www.victorianlondon.org/index-2012.htm. I expected most of the articles to provide false tips and ridiculous fads for the women of Victorian London, but to my surprise, many of the articles gave useful advice. The article Making-up introduced women to the most refined way to make yourself presentable to society. For example, to put too much rouge on one’s face would cause a lady to “look like a clown” and overdoing it would make one look “foolish” and frankly, offend the rest of society. I found it almost comical that women of that era cared so much about one simple aspect of their appearance.The next paragraph however, talked about to danger of whitening your skin with powder and how that to do such an unthinkable thing “is even worse than rouging”. It seemed, at this point, that make-up all together during this period was too troublesome and only caused controversy. Surprisingly, there is a way to have a happy medium with make-up in Victorian London, it just takes much effort and time to do so. To ensure you have the best possible outcome in your rouging ventures, “It should be put on in straight lines under the eyes, for a layer of carmine heightens their brilliancy; three other layers lower down should be gently rounded off, and be placed exactly between the nose and ears, never reaching below the mouth…” just in case anybody really wanted to be a pro at making yourself not look like a side-show freak on the streets of Victorian London. The author of this article did in fact promote the use of one’s natural glow and blush to assure the ladies that their own delicate coloring is even better than the finest of make-ups, which I found amiable and considerate.

2 thoughts on “Victorian London: Making-Up

1. I love this perspective. Most of the gender based things from the dictionary reflect negatively on the age, especially in regards to women s roles. Thank’s for the interesting, reflective post.