Researching Victorian London

Lee Jackson’s Victorian Dictionary gives a range of various articles and writings created in that time period which gives anyone a look into what living in that time period consisted of. I started looking into women’s roles and the details such as etiquette, demeanour, etc. I found some things very interesting like in one drawing from a Punch article published in 1880 what  women should dress like as they grow older, a kind of What Not To Wear of the day. It’s a little offensive because it shows a young woman at her prime, beautiful and dressed daintily and then another of what seems to be the same women, yet older, dressing more modestly, and has obviously lost her youth. The last is what a woman should be dressed as an old maiden, covered head to toe in black garments and almost looks like a widow and the caption says “As she might (and should) be”. Obviously here we see a very structured life that a women would have to live up to in this world. And in a way I can compare it with the world we live in today, there are standards on what girls should wear compared to young women, to middle aged women and then to the elderly. At least we don’t have any mainstream magazines outwardly bashing on them. Another article that was rather rude one, another from Punch that explains how women can now be employed in the Telegraph industry because “to talk as quickly as lightning is a luxury that the women have not yet been able to enjoy”. It explains how they can gossip and do whatever girly things they want to.. Thanks. One from Richard Carlile’s Every Women’s Book explains how if a women hasn’t married by the time she is 25, she starts sagging and withering away, because she has basically failed her only true task in life. Oh well. The last I looked over from Punch is a drawing of a single women trying to buy herself a single train ticket, and gets very offended when the clerk questions her. Obviously Punch had some hilarious pieces for the ages. I’ve never not hated a magazine more. All I learned was that women are good for nothing… But I didn’t expect a lot from 1800’s England.

One thought on “Researching Victorian London

1. I agree with your statement, “It’s a little offensive because it shows a young woman at her prime, beautiful and dressed daintily and then another of what seems to be the same women, yet older, dressing more modestly, and has obviously lost her youth.”
    It’s true how this is consistent with today’s standards. I think it’s incredible how in 200 years the way woman are pressured to dress for their age has only changed by styles and fads yet the basis of dressing modestly when older has not changed.