What you need:
- 10-15 pictures
- written narration text
- Optional: audio narration (150-200 words is approximately 1-2 minutes)
Then, follow the following steps:
- Go to WeVideo.com and sign up for a free account.
- Review the following WeVideo tutorials found at www.wevideo.com/academy:
- Now, create a new folder in Media
- Click on Media
- right click and choose “New Folder”
- rename your new folder “Digital Video Essay” (or whatever else you like)
- Open your new folder (double click on it) and add your image/video/audio files
- Right click in the folder and choose “upload”
- You can choose to drag and drop, or import from various social media sites
- Time out from WeVideo…
- Get out your written narration
- Look at your list of images you collected
- Indicate which images go with which parts of your narration (write notes on your narration)
- Write down the ordering of your images
- Watch “Create a photo story”: https://www.wevideo.com/academy#mh2flfdp7a
- Your turn: Click on Home to create a new project
- Click Create New Video
- Rename your project (from “untitled video” to whatever you will call it)
- Under Media, select and open the folder holding your image/video/audio files
- You can drag your images from the above folder to your WeVideo Storyboard
- First drag them down and put them in your preferred order
- You can then add Title and End cards (https://www.wevideo.com/academy#gvg9fjwd21)
- You can also choose a theme if you like
- Now, what you have is essentially a slide show of pictures/images – much like a powerpoint. But, a video has the potential for so much more! So, let’s edit, add audio or subtitles, and create your masterpiece!
- Note: For videos that have audio embedded in them, you can adjust the volume in storyboard mode. See the quick tip here: https://www.wevideo.com/academy#zggf6f2fi4
- But, for now, let’s switch our mode to Timeline (from Storyboard) – this will give you the ability to do some more sophisticated editing.
- Go to your main menu (looks like a series of 5 horizontal lines in your upper left hand corner) and switch to Timeline.
- You can view a quick tutorial of the advantages of Timeline mode here: https://www.wevideo.com/academy#1rqf1uqk0r
- You can add audio files to the timeline (there’s a few tracks below the main track for audio) and adjust the volume.
- You can also record narration and voice over with your computer’s built-in mic. See the quick tutorial here: https://www.wevideo.com/academy#famlyo7qmy
- In order to adjust audio levels, see the tutorial here: https://www.wevideo.com/academy#h6xhiz72ri
- Transform your pictures (embed pictures within pictures), see tutorial: https://www.wevideo.com/academy#ajp4v3epgp
- As was mentioned in the “Create a photo story” clip, you can utilize Ken Burns effect to make your images more dynamic (and less like a slide show/ powerpoint). See, https://www.wevideo.com/academy#3bzjahk3ki
- Once you’re happy with your video, you can publish and share it!
- Here is a quick tutorial on publishing your video: https://www.wevideo.com/academy#4zopv5ydjp
Post a link to your video on the class blog by 10/22 at 8am.