Introductory post

My name is Yesenia, but you can all freely call me Yesi for short. I am a senior studying Early Childhood and Childhood Education. Before reading these articles, I knew absolutely nothing about Victorian London but I figured it couldn’t be so different as to when America was evolving into a new era. I learned that London developed its new technology in different areas, rather than the country doing it as a whole. While reading this, I wonder if it had anything to do with location or economic standing. While those in higher class standing were able to live better lives than those in lower class, the areas with better economic funding also were developing at a much smoother pace than those with working class people. This divide of the country made me realize that the country and its people were very segregated, something I didn’t realize other countries (other than Korea) went through. Another thing I learned was that the development of the train was a big deal in London. With the train, it meant that people were able to move from their locations, and also helped those who were workers. The railroad was a form of freedom for those who wanted to move away from the dangerous parts of London. It seems to me a little strange to see just how important the railroad system was to the workers of London and how it continues to be as important to city workers today. There is a saying that says “history always repeats itself” and I can say that this truly does apply.

Work Cited

Robinson, Bruce. “London: ‘A Modern Babylon’” BBC News. BBC, 11 Feb. 2011. Web. 24 Aug. 2015.

4 thoughts on “Introductory post

1. Hello Yesi.
    I do not have a large store of information on Korean history however, I find the similarities that every nation has in regard to struggling individuals very perplexing. Why is it that some people have to work so much harder to remain in a state of constant suffering?

2. I agree history always repeats itself. I see many similarities in the history of London to that of the United States. Some of the issues they were fighting in the 1800’s we are still dealing with today. The theme of segregation was quite obvious in the reading. It gap of rich and poor seemed to get bigger rather than trying to bridge that gap. Great post!

3. I agree Yesenia, London’s infrastructure, which included an elaborate system of trains, did allow workers a sense of personal freedom during the Victorian period. However, a well-engineered system of roads includes a railway system that first and foremost facilitates a standing army. The railway then expedites the transportation of materials to and from factories to provide for that army, to move materials for commerce and then serves to move its citizenry.
    -Katie Vyas

4. Welcome to the class! Good job mentioning so many of the themes that will be vital to our class discussions (class, transportation, and technology). I don’t know much about Korean history or politics, though, and it’s great that you found a parallel between them. I’d imagine a number of other countries and cities probably have similar degrees of segregation, sadly.