Choose one Victorian (1830-1914) text on a queer theme from the list below and submit a clean, proofread version of it along with page images of the original edition of the text (if you can find them) to the class’s Omeka archive (http://victorianqueerarchive.omeka.net/).
1. By November 9th at noon, sign up for a text to upload by clicking here, and come to class with the proofread text and page images. We will upload them during class.
2. The text (with page images) is due on November 12th by noon.
How to Find Page Images:
1. Do a Google Search for the author and literary work to figure out the publication year and the title of the volume it appeared in.
2. Then, search one of the following websites for the volume, date, and author:
- Google Books (https://books.google.com)
- Hathi Trust (http://www.hathitrust.org/)
- the Internet Archive (https://archive.org/index.php)
Omit line numbers and make sure that poem’s transcription follows the indentation, capitalization, and punctuation of the original. Do not include footnotes or other editorial details. When selecting excerpts from a longer text, the excerpts should be sizable, representative chunks and should not end mid-sentence.
How to Create an Account:
- You will receive an email from Omeka.net with the subject heading “You have been invited to join the Omeka.net site ‘Victorian Queer Archive.’” Click the link in the email to accept the invitation.
- Look at the bottom left of the new page, which reads “Try the free Basic plan with 500 MB of storage, 1 site, 14 plugins, and 5 themes.”
- Click the blue-green button labeled “Choose” next to the basic plan info.
- Fill out the form, including your username, password, and enter your email address and full name.
- Click the checkbox next to “I agree to the Terms of Service”
- Enter the text in the ReCAPTCHA box and click the “Sign Up” button.
- Congrats! You’ve made an account
How to Add a Text:
If you’re not already logged in to the archive, go to http://victorianqueerarchive.omeka.net/admin and type in your log in info.
- Click on “Items” -> “Add an Item”
- Fill in “Title” (the full title of the text), “Creator” (Author’s name), “Date” (publication date of the literary work), and “Publisher” (if you can figure out the original publisher).
- Check the box next to the word “Public” on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Click on the words “Item Type Metadata” and select “Text” from the drop-down menu
- Check the box labeled “Use HTML” under the area labeled “Text.”
- Copy and paste the full text of your literary works in the area labeled “Text.” Proofread and make sure the spacing, indentation, capitalization, and punctuation are correct.
- If you have found page images of the original printing of the book, click the word “Files” -> “Choose File” and select the correct file. Click “Add Another File” to add additional files.
- Click “Tags” and enter tags to make your text findable by subject (e.g. “Queering the gender binary,” “lesbian desire,” “diary”) and click “Add Tags” when you’ve finished adding them.
- Click “Save Changes” to add your item to the archive.
- Go to http://victorianqueerarchive.omeka.net/ and look at your item to make sure it looks correct.
- You did it! Congrats!