Introduction – Carly Silk

Hello, my name is Carly Silk. I am a senior and an English major, with a minor in creative writing. Although I initially did not know much about Victorian London when I first signed up for this class, I have discovered several interesting facts about the city during my readings.

For example, although I knew through common knowledge that the River Thames was always a natural barrier separating factions of London from others, I did not know that the South Bank was reserved for the “less desirable” industries, such as soap-making and vinegar factories. I also did not know that South London was, at the time, famous for its taverns and prison complexes, which makes me wonder whether this decision to move the smellier, less pretty aspects of the city into an already downtrodden area was a choice propagated by Victorian London’s aristocratic society. I find it telling that industries in which working class citizens were more likely to work were seemingly lumped together with pubs and prisons. I also find it interesting and accurate that Robinson refers to Victorian London as a “modern Babylon,” seeing as though this era in the city’s history, considering both the uprising of modern architecture and the booming industrial complex that included factories and trains, seemed to crop up almost overnight by historical standards. I also was aware of the filthy conditions of the London streets, but didn’t know that there was an effort to put “slum clearance” into effect. I also was not aware of the fact that the working poor’s homes were destroyed in this move, another insight to how dominant the upper class was in London’s expansion.

Information gathered from Bruce Robinson’s “London: ‘A Modern Babylon’” BBC News. BBC, 11 Feb. 2011. Web. 25 Aug. 2015.

4 thoughts on “Introduction – Carly Silk

1. Hey Carly,

I was also disturbed by the destruction of the working poor’s homes and communities. I guess the need to continue to expand the economy was more important than the poor. The US still does this sort of stuff today in the name of eminent domain.

2. Hey Carly,
    I have to same I was in the same boat as you entering the class. Did not know too much about the time and place except for little things I heard from other classes. I guess if the north had more resources to build I could see why it was a more desirable place to live. But I still don’t see the reason not to help your homeland, even if it is slightly separated.

3. Welcome to the class, and great job commenting on the role class, industry, transportation, and geography had in the formation of Victorian London!