Working with Word Cloud: sometimes disappointing

It is enjoyable for me choosing the better design options, what I could exercise with Word Cloud. However, I felt disappointed about some limitations of the platforms. On Wordle and Voyant I couldn’t eliminate some words that I thought unnecessary to display. My intention was to tell The Speckled Band story, so that, I wanted to use just the words that were meaningful to the it.

Therefore, I tried to eliminate verbs that are meaningless. “Shall”, “may”, “might”, “see”, “come” are common verbs in any text, and kept showing up. “One”, “way” “little”, “hand”, “last”, now, “round”, “side” are also examples of words that kept showing up and don’t mean anything out of the story’s context.

For me, the platform Voyant is not user-friendly at all. The options are not clear and I didn’t manage to exclude any of the meaningless words. The icons are small, a lot of windows shows up at the same time, what makes it confusing to navigate. Besides that, I didn’t find options to change the color or the design of my Word Cloud. The only interesting resource that I have found was the graphic that shows the appearance of a word per segment of the text.

On Wordle the resource of eliminating word was not so good as on Tagxedo, which platform I considered the most user-friendly, and also the one that contains the bigger variety of resources. There I could click on each word that were frequent on the text, but I wanted to eliminate. On Wordle, it wasn’t possible, but at least I could limit the maximum number of words, what helped me to discard some meaningless words.

Here I limited the number of words to 50, what brought a better result than with the standard option of 150 words.
In face of the variety of shapes Tagxedo presents, I found a snake shape, which has everything to do with the story.
At this second attempt, I limited to 40 words.