Discovering Ngrams

I took two similar forms of data and made two separate charts, one involving the titles of my absolute favorite books, and one involving the names of my favorite literary ladies.

In my first chart, we see three novels, The Great Gatsby, Lolita, and The Things They Carried. Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 8.18.38 PM

While Lolita and The Great Gatsby are classic novels, we can see clearly that The Things They Carried is a relatively new book as opposed to the other two which have clearly been around for much longer. Lolita is easily seen to be the oldest of the books. We see a large spike in the popularity of The Great Gatsby incredibly drastically, while Lolita’s popularity grew at a steady incline.

In my second chart, we see Jordan Baker of The Great Gatsby against Dolores Haze of Lolita. Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 8.36.28 PMBoth women, as seen in the graph, are characters that have reappeared heavily throughout the twentieth and twenty first centuries. Jordan Bakers popularity trumps over Dolores Haze’s character, however, i have concluded that that occurs only because Dolores is notably referred to as Lolita or Lo rather than her full name Dolores, and in mentioning her, people often go for one of her recognizable nicknames rather than her given name.

One thought on “Discovering Ngrams