19th Century Word Graphs: Thames/Hudson, trains/cars

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.27.12 AM

For my first graph, I decided to explore the progression of the words trains and cars in the 18th century. Train seems to be the more prominent word throughout the 19th century. This can be explained by considering this was still one of the most important means of transportation, people relied on trains to get to work, the country side, and the shipping of cargo. For most of the 19th century, cars were very expensive and only driven by the wealthy;therefore, they for the most part stayed out of literature since it was not a means of transportation known to most. Towards the last decade of the 1800s, cars does become a more popular word, most likely because cars were becoming more affordable and available to the public.

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.27.24 AM

For my second graph, I wanted to see if there was any noticeable correlation between the words Thames as in the River in England, and Hudson as in the river right next door to usFor the first quarter of the century Thames was definitely the more prominent word because all of England was dependent on the river for transportation and industry built up along the river as England with through their industrial revolution– people came to the river looking for work and boats were constantly passing through this famous river.  However, the Hudson soon became the much more popular word once 1830 hit. This can definitely be explained by the reasoning of more immigrants were coming to America and settling in New York down the Hudson because of all the factories jobs offered there. The Hudson took over the Thames’ thunder.