Voyant – “A Case of Identity”

Screenshot (12)

I decided to use Voyant for this assignment, as I liked how you could filter out words better with it. Wordle has a better look to it’s word clouds, but Voyant can give you a better word choice.

In doing this, I looked at the word cloud and cut out words I thought unnecessary, of which were the words “like,” “let,” “little,” “really,” “left,” and “right.” After cutting these words and a few more, I came to this word cloud. I don’t exactly like the color choice, but I liked the layout so I kept it. All the names are in the center and are horizontal. One thing I noticed in this is that the character names are used many times. Which makes sense there are many characters in the stories, and pronouns would get to confusing.

In going with the focus of names, I saw that Holmes last name shows up far more than his first name. “Mr” was another word omitted in the word cloud, which preceded the male characters names practically every time there name was mentioned. But the other characters, like Hosmer Angel and James Windibank, had their full names stated fair amount of times, unlike Holmes. I find that interesting, as Holmes is the main character. But at the same time, you have to draw attention to the lesser characters, as they usually only appear in one story, so the reader will not have the experience of the character like they would of Holmes.