Scandal in Bohemia with Voyant

I used the digital tool Voyant to create a word cloud of the classic Sherlock Holme’s case Scandal in Bohemia. The cloud’s color scheme doesn’t have an identifiable pattern in correlation with the words frequencies, but you are able to figure out which words are the most frequent in the story once you filter out the stop words. You can figure out which word was used more often by its size in the word cloud. The bigger the words are the more frequent they are and vice versa. The color of the cloud has no real value because it is random colors but it would be useful if the words was colored to follow a set pattern. For example, all of the words that are names could be red, all of the verbs yellow, and the nouns blue.

I think that this tool is useful because it helps you get the gist of the story before you even read it. I don’t think that this tool should be used if you’re looking for details from the story. Looking at the world cloud I’m able to analyze that the king is involved and it has something to do about photographs because the word photographs has been mentioned 21 times and the word king has been mentioned 17 times.

I used two custom stop words which were “sherlock” and “said”. I chose sherlock because his name would be mentioned a lot since the story is about him and i chose said because it didn’t hold any informative value.

Here is my cloud and frequency data:

Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 7.49.05 PMScreen Shot 2014-09-21 at 9.52.40 PM