Teves and Arvin Reflection

I found this piece, “Decolonizing API,” to be rather informative, just because there is a huge absence of Asian American feminisms in my own education to begin with, not to mention critiques of such feminisms. I feel like the conversations surrounding my WGSS major are often surrounding Black feminisms, womanisms, or “Women of Color” feminisms, but never really with the specificity this chapter seems to include. The distinction between Asian Americans, and then this constructed category of API was interesting, and on 314 when they discuss the erasure of indigeneity when categorizing Moana feminism within Asian American feminism. I of course had never thought of this and felt it opened my mind to a more realistic understanding of these histories that have been systematically erased and silenced. When Teves and Arvin begin discussing academia and curricula I also found it very informative and interesting, as the authors seem to communicate this separation of participating in both specific community spaces, and these academic spaces which are already contributing to erasure of those said communities. It is just interesting to think about these tensions, and other places they arise in various forms as well. I think the reading in general can be taken as a call to realize that decolonization takes many different forms and may not always be overt. I feel like all I can really say is that this essay honestly helped me learn a lot I feel, both about Asian American feminisms and decolonization in general.

One thought on “Teves and Arvin Reflection”

1. I definitely agree that this reading was quite informative; as I had been pretty ignorant to even just the physical, literal number of Pacific Islands/Pacific Islanders that there actually are (25,000 islands, 2.3 million people, p. 108), I was completely ignorant to the diversity of these people. I also agree that this reading was a call to understand that because settler colonialism manifest in different ways, decolonization must counteract that settler colonialism in equally different ways, if that phrasing makes sense.