Decolonizing API

Decolonizing API

With the advent of European colonialism brought to the Pacific Islanders, we see a perversion of traditional ideals to an over-sexualization of a “savage” peoples. The islands freedom for its individuals, especially women, was incorrectly seen as a weakness and a lack of control. As a result,  the Pacific Islanders have been wrongly viewed as over sexual or at least made to seem that way to justify the rape of their culture by the colonizers. Furthermore, not only has white heteronormative capitalist colonialism perverted Pacific Islander ideas but it has caused a conglomeration of cultures where Asians and Pacific Islander have been conglomerated together. This causes a slow but steady genocide of the culture and peoples of the Pacific Islands.  The way Pacific Islanders try to overcome the ignorance and “planned disappearance” of their peoples is acknowledging the illegalities of settler colonialists via criticism of appropriation of their culture. The appropriation of a culture and the silent erasing of the narratives of native people is a disgusting way of claiming someone’s lifestyle as your own. Another thing that I found horrible was the way that the “spirit of aloha”, a symbol of kindness was used to exploit the Hawaiian culture for their own benefit. Through the juxtaposition of good traits into weaknesses, colonialism has been able to flourish. Between misunderstanding freedom as a lack of control and then self-imposing their own control, and using kindness as a weakness, colonizers have taken good and wreaked havoc on indigenous narratives. Yet, what would happen if we took kindness at face value and didn’t take advantage of it? How would this affect the thoughts of coloniality? Would it cause a slow deconstruction of the colonial settler ideas and push us to a more indigenous like mindset of freedom? Or would it make way for repercussions for those indigenous lives loss?

One thought on “Decolonizing API”

1. I agree with your post Juan and would like to add my own comment. The erasure of indigenous culture is a genocidal war that is long from over. Your post reminds me of the body politic that I studied in Intro to WGSS last semester. In Hawaii specifically the tourism industry and the governing laws of Hawaii have been built to suppress indigenous culture. I feel like I need to write a blog called “How to go on Vacation and not erase or appropriate Ingenious culture”. I am not saying that I have never done this or that anyone who does it is terrible person. What I am saying is that people need to be more aware that these “laws” made by and for the benefit of the hetero white supremacy patriarchy are not going anywhere. Unless we realize our own complicity we will all continue to take part in this erasure. There is something disgustingly about the sexist and racialized ways that American society praises assimilation, unless we prefer that person to eroticize their own culture in sexy hula girl outfit or sexy geisha girl costume from Party City.