Montagnino_Quote Collection

Published on: Author: Elliot Leave a comment

What a process to sit down and choose quotes from an entire semester. Each quote, except the last four, come from different readings. I followed a theme of sexism (for the most part) because this course showed me the rampant amount that exists within the hip hop community. The last four all come from the same reading because it was one about just straight up sexism and I really enjoyed it the most. I would have used quotes all from that reading if I could have just because there was so much packed into it.

The ten quotes that I chose are the ones that resonated most for me when doing the readings throughout the course. I followed a theme of sexism when choosing my quotes mostly because I believe problems that exist within the hip hop community (and even problems outside of it in the rest of the world) can not even begin to be solved until we tackle sexism. There needs to be equality between men and women so we can function better as a society. If equality exists and sexism dissipates within the hip hop community, maybe followers of hip hop will jump on the bandwagon like they always do and we can make some real change. But how do we tackle sexism within the hip hop community? Maybe make more courses like this one available to students at every college across the state and encourage them to take it. Maybe cancel culture should exist on better terms for toxic men and women in the hip hop community. Maybe black men need to learn how to wholeheartedly support black women. Maybe black women need to do better at calling black men out when they really mess up as humans. That last one is difficult since white people have essentially ruined everything and never seem to be held accountable, unlike black men. Nothing is easy, nothing is simple. But, we won’t get anywhere if we don’t start somewhere.

When creating these images, I tried to be as simplistic as possible so they weren’t overwhelming to look at but still had some sort of substance. I kept the quotes the same color across every image (pink) and the author/title the same color across every image (gray). I wanted to use symbols that went hand in hand with the quotes so they could be better understood. I included the feminsit symbol in every single one so everyone knows they were done by a feminist for feminist reasons. I tried to keep other colors relatable to the quote. I kind of just stared at my laptop for a good few hours and let my creative juices flow keep the things mentioned above in mind.