Quote Collection!

Published on: Author: prestone1 Leave a comment

These specific quotes that I have curated represent many of my own ideas, opinions, and interests I have discovered and that I’ve had before and after taking this course. I derived all of these quotes throughout the semester and through reading whether that was from being inspired by them in class lecture, discussion, or reading them myself and being absolutely wowed. Specifically one of the quotes that I found in the reading The Making of a Hip-Hop Globe which was: 

“But with American underground rap, the locus of hip-hop moved away from urban, black, and working-class sectors of artists and audiences became increasingly middle class, white, and multi-racial.” 

This quote resonated with me because this very concept is something my crew and I discussed in detail when constructing our What’s Up in Hip-Hop presentation. Specifically with underground rapper noname; at this point in time she doesn’t feel comfortable performing because most of her live audiences have been white people. She claimed that her music that she produces is written and supposed to inspire people of color but specifically black people. I find this concept very interesting because in the quote it describes how in modern american underground rap is primarily consumed by white people rather than people of color. 

Not only did it make me think of my presentation, but also it made me connect to a quote that I discovered in the reading Space Matters. The quote stated: 

“We explicitly and implicitly account for the differences that space makes when we consider urban phenomena; it is one of the key factors that modern citizens draw on to make sense of the urban worlds that inhabit daily.” 

I connected these two quotes in my head because it is referring to an area in which is occupied. In this case the space is the underground hip-hop audience and how it is being dominated by white folk. Although underground rap is primarily being produced by and for people of color from urban areas. In a way this can be seen as problematic because the media isn’t necessarily being consumed the way it is meant to and the listener may not be able to relate completely to the words. However I can see the other side of the coin where music can and should be consumed by anyone is able and willing to enjoy and really listen in. I sort of draw the line when people who aren’t black or a person of color try to draw criticism to that sort of music because they may not be able to fully understand it.

Overall the narrative that I am trying to raise is that more awareness should be raised in modern day hip-hop. There is a lot of ignorance to hip-hop and its background. As a feminist I think women in hip-hop should not be ignored as well as me not being a huge fans of people who aren’t people of color trying to throw their two cents into hip-hop where they may not have any business the matter.