Balousek_Graffiti in Hip Hop

Published on: Author: balousep1 Leave a comment

Going into this class I had already taken a class about hip hop and learned about the history. I think something that people do not take into consideration is everything that hip hop consists of. Although, I do have to remind myself every now and then that hip hop does in fact consist of graffiti and breakdancing, as well as, rap music. I did learn more in depth about the life of graffiti artists. I did not even think about sexism and gender inequalities that women face in relation to the men who participate in graffiti.

The whole structure and culture of graffiti is completely gendered. Females writers participated alongside male writers within the same crews, instead of having separate crews. However, women who were writers experienced sexism because men would not want them to be writers. As a result, men would spread rumors about women writers and their sexual reputation in attempts to discourage them from wanting to pursue their practices in graffiti. To promote their femininity, women would have names that were considered more ‘feminine’ like Lady Hearts and Lady Pink. Women taggers used brighter colors and less black, more landscape and flowers. Women graffiti artists used gender-based art to create individuality and to me that is amazing. I think it is incredible that individuals took what others tried to use against them to become their own. 

I think when we fall into our own societies views and patriarchal mindset we forget that most things are sexist. It bothers me because I was actually surprised when I read about the sexism within the graffiti world. It is almost like my brain has become sheltered from that which is really annoying and I am going to pay more attention to it now.