Almonte_Blog1

Published on:

I remember hanging out in my room and my older sister came in saying “We like 2pac over here”. I was like “um okay”. Growing up in a Spanish home I was not really sure who 2pac was. Elvis Crespo, Marc Anthony, Celia Cruz were more likely to take over my mothers speaker during saturday morning clean ups. Fast forward to Biggie vs. 2pac beef and everyone had to choose a side, well my sister told me we rock with Tupac so thats who I like better (having never listened to Biggie aside from his mainstream songs). This made no sense to my friends with comments like “how could you??!! you’re from New York!”……Dimitriadis touches on the epic hip hop beef in his article and it brought me right back to all those emotions of feeling like whoa going forward before I pick a side I need the history on whats even going on! I’ve been loving the history and background of hip hop, learning what the first mainstream song was, reading up on the last poets and how influenced others became. I’d have to say the most difficult article to comprehend was “Space matters” but as we began to break it down in class it began to piece together. “All abroad the Night Train” brings me back to being in the city isn’t it ironic how we can still find so many similarities to whats going on STILL and the way hip hop is still a breath of fresh air and escape.

Oh and BTW…..Tupac is ALIVE…You’re welcome.