Don’t know when to complete your internship? Feeling lost in the process and don’t know the next step? Consider these points when trying to find, apply, and complete your internship.
- Get certified As Soon As Possible! If you are eligible you should apply for certification right away! Requirements for earning internship approval include having at least 18 credits completed or in progress for your major, 30+ credits completed/in progress at SUNY New Paltz, 60+ total credits completed/in progress, and at least a 2.5 overall GPA. Read this to apply for certification.
- Once you complete the paperwork and are approved to earn internship credits, you remain eligible until graduation as long as you still meet all the requirements. You do not need to resubmit the paperwork if you choose to wait another semester(s) to complete your internship!
- Journalism majors are required to take at least 4 internship credits. 160 hours of internship work are required for the semester, which amounts to about 12 hours per week. It is recommended that you complete your internship hours over 2 partial days per week. Remember when making your schedule to keep at least two partial days open so you have time to complete your internship!
- Digital Media Production and Digital Media Management majors must take a minimum of 3 internship credits. When making your schedule, make sure to leave time open to complete your required internship hours.
- You are required to take the Internship Seminar with your first internship. This is an online, 1 credit course. If you choose to complete more than one internship, you do not need to take the Internship Seminar again.
- Summer internships will most likely cost money! Students pay out of pocket for credits earned during the summer, whether that be summer school or internships. If your financial aid doesn’t cover summer credits, plan to take your internship during the school year to avoid out-of-pocket costs.
- There are NO internships during the winter intersession. This session is only 3 weeks long and is not long enough to complete an internship. Internships are only available during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
Once you get approved to take internship credits (due by the mid-point of each semester for the following semester), you need to find an internship placement. Here is a list of resources you can use to find an internship to suite you:
- The BIG LIST of Past Internships: tinyurl.com/npbiglist
- This list has EVERY internship DMJ and CMM students have completed since Spring 2012 and is updated every semester. It also has all the contact information for each of these internships. Use this resource!
- Internship Instagram Page @npcommedia for DMJ and CMM majors
- Our Instagram is constantly uploading new internship opportunities. Check back here often!
- Find this in my.newpaltz.edu under the “Employment Resources” tab
- It has job and internship listings
- Media bistro
- This is a website created solely for job/internship listings in the media field. This is a great resource for all DMJ and CMM majors
- Vimeo video: Where Can I Look for an Internship?
- This video will show you all the great resources you can find internship opportunities. Try them all!