Rodriguez_Total Chaos

Published on: Author: rodriguj84 Leave a comment

In the reading, “Total Chaos” by Jeff Chang the objective of the interview taking place is to discuss intersectionality as it relates to queerness within Hip Hop. In the text it states, “Black gays have always preferred to abide alongside their black communities rather than “ghettoize” their sexualities.” I feel as though this quote stood out above all the rest to me due to the fact that I find it so relatable. As a queer man of color, I often times find myself finding a better sense of community amongst people who I identify with racially and ethnically, rather than force myself to fit into a space that is more catered for white gay men. Although white men who are gay may be able to identify with me in terms of being oppressed through our queerness, there are still many things I feel as though I may go through that these men cannot relate on in terms of racism, discrimination, etc.

In terms of deconstructing myths based around Hip Hop, I feel as though this reading changed a lot of the preconceived notions I already had about the Hip Hop culture. I grew up thinking that there was never truly a queer presence in Hip Hop. I believed that the only time the LGBTQ community was ever referenced in terms of Hip Hop culture was when they were being bashed, or the victims of derogatory statements. This reading helped open my eyes to the active LGBTQ presence that lies within the Hip Hop community. “HomoHop”, was a big social movement, which shed light on queer figures making waves in Hip Hop. And even so, I learned that while the Homohop movement may have placed a spotlight on queer hip hop artists, they have existed since this community arose.

In modern times, we are even seeing more barriers being broken, as an influx of Black queer Hip Hop artists are beginning to erase the stigma surrounding what a traditional Hip Hop artist looks like. From Frank Ocean to more recently Lil Nas X we have seen more and more Black men begin to be more open about their sexuality as it intersects with the Hip Hop community. We as members of the Black and Latinx community must continue to advocate and encourage more Black queer representation in Hip Hop. Young children need to be able to grow up seeing their own resemblance within Hip Hop, to be able to feel fully comfortable and accepted into this culture.