Nguyen_Blog#2

Published on: Author: nguyenc2 Leave a comment

When reading the “The Real Hip Hop” Battling for Knowledge, Power, and Respect in the La Underground by Marcyliena Morgan I came across this quote. “The knowledge held by underground female MCS regarding the multi-layered black woman’s experience does not occur magically.” (137). I found this quote to be very true because women in general have to work much much harder to get noticed or even get to the same level as a male in the music industry. Morgan said in the reading himself the man get paid just to insult/disrespect someone and they will get paid. I really liked this reading because Tricia Rose in Morgan’s book  talks about how there should be safe spaces for women to be creative and to be heard and ask questions about “sexual power” (147). Women create that space for other women to be heard and to tell their story. I would like to compare this to the last class when we did a lyrical analysis to Cardi B song about her career from being a stripper to rising to become a very famous female rapper. We broke down her lyrics of her being feminine but going really hard in her lyrics telling her story the way she wants to the tone of her song was very aggressive because she is telling it how it is in her life. Cardi B mostly talked about her rise to the top and how she can support herself now. Cardi B did what she needed to do to support herself and her family by using her body or she can just lose. It is basically telling the roots of her story. All of Cardi B success did not just happen in the snap of her fingers.

I do not really listen to Cardi B music however I do respect that she work hard to get where she is at and to be very very good at it. c: