Nguyen_Hip-Hop History Recap Edit

Published on: Author: nguyenc2 Leave a comment

During the first class I was not expecting to watch Missy Elliot’s Throw is Back music video. While watching it I did not expect us to have a full breakdown of what are some elements of hip hop. Usually when you think of hip hop it is always aggressive or rough with a bunch of curse words with every line of the music video. When the class discussed the Missy Elliot music video I was surprised on how much we discussed for once music video. An example is that women are portrayed in different music videos very sexually and the men are in charge being a king and all. Missy did not only reverse the rolls in the music video with men carrying her and  she took us back to a lot of old hip hop references. When talking about the music video about the men not having shirts they did not take up the entire music video of zooming in on the men because they were shirtless. Missy did not do that because that is not the main part of her music video. She is talking about her accomplishments in her music career I would really like to do more music video or lyrical analysis for the class because it becomes a good class discussion. 

Now for the Murray Foreman’s reading “Space Matters: Hip Hop and the Spatial Perspective” I was getting a hard grasp on what the reading was. During the class discussion I was still confused about the Space and Place. While still reading the assignment I came across this quote “In hip-hops physical and localized expressions and in rap’s narratives the authority of individuals experience is generally built upon what is conceived as the self-evident truth of natural or material spaces,where events occur and experience is registered.” (23) When I think of this quote I think of identity. How hip hop was created by certain people. They make music or entertainment out of their experiences, how they live, where they live, how they create the things that they do.