Eddy Interview with Jahda Williams

Jahda Williams
Jahda Williams

Interview by M D’Alessandro, Graphic Design, Freshman 
with Jahda Williams, Graphic Design, Junior 
September 2021 

What personal experience or journey brought you into your current role at or connected  SUNY New Paltz? 

After high school, I really wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with my life. Instead of wasting money at a school where I didn’t have any purpose, I decided to stay local and go to my community college (best decision ever!). I was a liberal arts major, but all the electives that I picked revolved around art. One day, the dean of the school was just like, ‘What are you doing? You clearly love this. Why don’t you make this your major?’ and the next day, she switched my major to Computer Graphics. Now, I have my associate’s degree.  

You went to community college before coming to SUNY New Paltz. What was that like? 

I went straight out of high school — I graduated in June of 2018 — to community college in August. I went to SUNY Sullivan. Going to community college was kind of like going to high school 2.0. Everything seemed to be in one building. It was very familiar. Here, it’s completely different. This is an actual campus; it’s a whole new realm.  

What influenced you to come to New Paltz?  

As a college student, my dad and his cousins used to come up here to party. Also, I have a lot of family members who went to school at SUNY New Paltz. I have my grandmother who came here, and my aunt as well — and I think a few of my cousins came here. I wasn’t really sure about New Paltz until I talked to my family and they were like, ‘I went there! I’m an alum!   

What are your most important sources of success and change? 

I think just having your head and heart in the best state of mind. And of course, support from my family and friends really keeps me going. As for change, I like a steady routine and a plan. I am the ultimate planner!  

What would a better (university or community) system look like for you?  

For me personally, everything here is great. I have yet to see or have a bad encounter, and I really don’t see it happening here. If anything, I would wish that COVID-19 could go away completely so we can have a better understanding of the New Paltz college experience and get to form friendships with people better.