Mercedes Rooney

Mercedes Rooney

CONTACT

rooneym@newpaltz.edu

ROLE 

I have been teaching at SUNY New Paltz in the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures for many years, where I am an instructor and coordinator of the French language program. I teach French language, culture, grammar, and literature courses across the curriculum. I have developed in-person, hybrid, and online synchronous and asynchronous course formats to better serve a diverse body of students on and off campus, using the latest research on best pedagogical practices to deliver content.

I have been active in GE Assessment Development at the departmental and college levels and have presented at several national conferences on issues dealing with second language acquisition and pedagogy. Last semester, I also taught a course for the new SUNY Consortium program.

Exploring and implementing “new” methods, apps, and technological tools to increase students’ engagement and build a sense of community while meeting their educational goals continues to contribute to my personal and professional growth. I am ready to share my successes (and failures) with you and will strive to provide you with all the support and resources available as you find your way through Brightspace and beyond.

EDUCATION

• Maîtrise de langue vivante étrangère, Faculté des Lettres et Sciences Humaines, Université de Franche-Comté (France)
Mercedes Rooney
Mercedes Rooney

EXPERIENCE

• French Language Program Coordinator; International Internship Coordinator
  • Mentor and Supervisor for Adjunct Faculty, International Scholars and Teaching Assistants
  • Proctor for ACTFL Proficiency exam
  • American Council for Teaching of Foreign Languages (Member)
  • American Association of Teachers of French (Member)
  • American Association of University Supervisors, Coordinators, and Directors of Foreign Language Programs (Member)
  • GE Assessment (HUM)
  • French Club Faculty Advisor
  • SUNY Online Ambassador Recognition

MENTOR STRENGTHS

Organization might be one of my strongest skills. You can share with me your educational goals and I do my best to help you find the tools to implement them in the simplest and most efficient way. You also can count on my patience and sympathy in the process

COURSES

French language courses at all levels, French and Francophone Literature After 1800, French Literature Before 1800, The French Detective Novel, Advanced French Grammar & Syntax, French Phonetics, Theories and Techniques of Teaching a Foreign Language, Intercultural Connections in the Romance Languages.

HOBBIES

Reading (in French, Spanish, and English); Cooking