Dorian vs Sexology

According to Labouchère Amendment, any man engaging in homosexual behavior, “shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and being convicted thereof shall be liable to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years with or without hard labor.”  In Chapter 7 of A Picture of Dorian Gray, Basil admits his feelings for Dorian.  Basil states that he was worried about putting his painting on for show because, “I grew afraid that the world would know of my idolatry.”  Basil’s fear is reasonable considering he could be jailed for being found to have feelings for Dorian.  It is also surprising that Basil is willing to admit these feelings to Dorian due to this law.  I think that this passage reveals that Basil trusts Dorian.  I think Wilde is commenting on this law because Basil has not acted on his feelings for Dorian, but could still be punished by law.  I think the words the Basil uses to describe his feelings for Dorian are interesting.  Basil uses words like idolatry and worship.  This is interesting because homosexuals were describe using Greek mythology and these kinds of words echo the divine and mythical.