Victorian Prostitution

Tristan describes prostitution in the Victorian period as being an issue created by men.  She believes that because women and men are not treated equally, particularly in regards to sexuality, prostitution has become a lifestyle for fallen women.  She is quiet sympathetic to prostitutes and states, “When a dog dies he is watched over by his master, whereas the prostitute ends on a street corner without anyone’s throwing her a glance of pity!”  (Tristan 5).  This illustrates that a dogs life is more valued by society than a prostitutes.  I think the Thomas Hood poem agrees with Tristan’s article, because he too seems sympathetic towards prostitutes.  In his poem, he talks about a dying prostitute and states, “Take her up tenderly / Lift her with care” (Hood 1).  The poem still uses words like sin and mutiny to describe her profession, but uses caring language about how she should be treated in her death.  I think in a way Hood is blaming the women, but also takes the woman’s life history into account.  Tristan’s article blames society and does not blame women at all for becoming prostitutes, but Hood’s poem is harder to determine.  Hood seems to blame homelessness for prostitution because he references a woman not having a home a few times.  He also describes a homeless woman as being cold which I think is his way of giving her reasoning to become a prostitute.  Tristan brings money into the equation the same way that Hood does.  If a woman is homeless than how else is she supposed to live?  I do think that Hood partially blames the woman because of the way he discusses prostitution, but he also seems to be stating the only God can judge her sins, not men.  The last stanza of the poem seems to support this.