Roles as a Governess

The piece from Fraser’s Magazine published in 1844 writes greatly of the necessity of becoming a governess. The job in itself is not ideal, in any way, but necessary. It writes, “There was such an overplus of single women that the old order of things was subverted. Women must have bread to eat as well as men. If they have no husbands to toil for them they must fin food for themselves. They found, if they would not sink in the scale, they must work with their heads, and not with their hands. Must! oh the ruthlessness of necessity,” (569)

As the article goes on, the magazine continues to show the reader the complex life of a governess. These women, although women, were now working women. Their roles as women had therefor shifted from unpaid domestic life and child rearing, to paid domestic roles and child rearing. The role as a governess stemmed from lower-class women who seemingly had no other option but to work. Being women, the only work deemed suitable was child-rearing and teaching.

These women were intelligent, yet isolated. The magazine piece speaks heavily upon this on page 573. If the children needed not to be attended to, the governess was forced to remain solemn in the school room, thus isolating her from the world around her.

The piece heavily criticizes the life of a governess, to the extreme.

I would argue that Bronte argues on the opposing side of this magazine piece, even pushing for the idea of women become governesses. According to Bronte, a job as a governess is seen as an opportunity for a woman to work, a good opportunity at that.

Jane is excited about her job as a governess, and again, sees this as an opportunity for her to show her strengths. Bronte writes, “My heart really warmed to the worthy lady as I heard her talk; and  i drew my chair a little nearer to her, and expressed my sincere wish that she might find my company as agreeable as she anticipated, ” (Bronte 164).

Bronte goes on to portray the life of a governess as a wonderful experience for Jane, thus not focusing on the isolated aspect, or many of the negative aspects that the magazine addressed.

Works Cited

Brontë, Charlotte. Jane Eyre. Ed. Richard Nemesvari. Toronto: Broadview, 1999. Print.

“Hints on the Modern Governess System.” Fraser’s Magazine November 1844: 567-577. Print

6 thoughts on “Roles as a Governess

1. The isolation that governesses must deal with is portrayed by Bronte. When Mr. Rochester had his guests over, she narrated: “Adele and I sat down on the top step of the stairs to listen” (245-6). Like her master’s ward, she was excluded from the activities in the house because she was not to be included without formal invitation, which in most cases she would not get were it not for Mr. Rochester’s partiality toward her.

2. Chelsea,

I agree with your comments on the article, but do think that Bronte shows some examples of Jane’s isolation within her role as governess, especially on a large scale level.

One example would be looking into who Jane talks with at Thornfield. There is little conversation to be had there, as the only people around are Jane herself, Mrs. Fairfax, Sophie, Adele, the servants, and eventually Mr. Rochester.

Thornfield itself is described as “grey and battlemented,”(180) suggesting its castle like or fortress like qualities.

When Jane sets off on her errand walk away from Thornfield in Chapter Twelve, she observes how isolated the hall is. It is the only object she sees from the hill. So, Thornfield itself is isolated in the country, removed from people. The people inside the home are limited, and Jane is further limited (at least in theory) by her position as governess.

-Hannah

3. I also wrote on the idea of isolation that is presented in Fraser’s magazine, and agree with you that the article focuses a lot on the lonely and isolating aspect of the job. Bronte does seem to present the role of a governess in a happier light than the article overall. Jane is caring and attentive towards Adele and everyone in the house demonstrates kindness towards her (aside from Mr. Rochester at first.)
    However, Bronte does portray the lonely side of governess in life. Jane does pace up and down the halls, consciously aware of there being more to life than helping to raise children. She still feels restricted, and I think Bronte ultimately thinks that while the governess position is good because it allows women to work, it still makes them feel cut off from society and other opportunities that men could pursue.

4. As much as I do agree that Bronte argues in favor of governesses, I do not think that Jane’s experience was entirely positive. Though she does enjoy teaching Adele, she still feels a restlessness in the job, not allowing her the opportunity to travel as she would like and, before Mr.Rochester arrives, engage in stimulating conversation. Bronte also does not hold back the negative aspects of a governesses life, such as when on page 254 Blanche Ingram accounts on the governesses she herself had: “half of them detestable and the rest ridiculous, and all incubi”. It is a horrible description of the women that fill the loveless job of governess. And Jane is forced to sit and listen as she disgraces her further with no care to those present. Though through Jane Bronte tries to show a different light on the misunderstood governess, she also presents the negative connotations socially known and accepted, though cruel.

5. Hi,

I agree that the role of the governess allowed an opportunity for women to earn their living, but I think Bronte argues that the life of the governess (although productive in that matter) still is another form of isolation. Jane has now left the isolation of Lowood, but only to face another sort of isolation in Thornfield. As the Fraser’s magazine states, governesses were both an outsider and an insider to the family they worked for. They usually became a confidant and knew the family secrets (572). This is portrayed in the novel when Mr. Rochester tells of his relation to Adele and her mother. There are also scenes when Jane feels restless: she even paints a bird flying over a woman drowning. These things suggest Jane is isolated and not as happy as she wants to be. She wants to travel.

6. I think that Bronte creates a complexity in Jane’s character and her motives that make it hard for me to agree with your suggestion that Jane is happy being a governess. I do agree that she is at first excited to be leaving Lowood. What I find interesting is that she is excited by the company of Mrs. Fairfax because she assumes her to be the lady of the house, but is disappointed when she realizes that she is not. She later goes on to state that she becomes bored of being at Thornfield and is almost sick of Mrs. Fairfax’s company. Becoming a governess gave Jane the opportunity to get out in the world, but until Rochester arrives, she is still bored. I think Jane’s character craves adventure that being a governess cannot provide for her.