Governesses

The author of the piece in the appendix is clearly against women becoming governesses.  The author believes that it is detrimental for a woman to become a governess because “the miseries of the governess may even swell that sickening glamour about the ‘rights of women,’ in which would never have been raised had women been true to themselves” (570). The author believes that women should not be educated and also makes claims that becoming a governess will make women go insane.  The author also seems concerned with how the role of a governess has upset the class system.  The author states that women who used to work in shops have now become governess and when they decide they don’t want to be governesses, women of lower class have taken their spots at the shops (569).  I think the author is upset that women have found a way to raise themselves up in class without the help of a man.  Bronte clearly does not agree with this portrayal of the governesses.  The author clearly thinks that becoming a governess leads to insanity, but in the novel Jane becomes a governess because, “I remembered that the real world was wide, and that a varied field of hopes and fears, of sensations and excitements, awaited those who had the courage to go forth into its expanse, to seek real knowledge of life amidst its perils” (151).  The author also seems to think women almost brag about their intelligence once they acquire it, but in the novel Jane is quite modest about her abilities.  Mr. Rochester is also fascinated by Jane and speaks with her as if she is his equal.  I think in this sense Bronte is trying to eliminate class differences.  Jane also does not upset the class system thus far in the novel because she was a teacher at Lowood and then becomes a governess which isn’t much of a raise in class.

4 thoughts on “Governesses

1. I didn’t think about how the article suggests that the governesses would disrupt the class system by rising without the help of a man, but I certainty agree. A lot of these type of comments come from the prejudice of women at the same time (as you mention), so any type of moving forward for women is closely examined and then criticized. All the points that the article is making are based upon this belief that women should not be given high opportunities and are meant to make sure the rest of the Victorians do not give women a chance at a higher quality of life or choices in their life.

2. I agree with your assertions that the “Hints on the Modern Governess System” article views the governess system as detrimental to women, especially to their mental health. However, I don’t agree that the author was upset at the idea of women raising themselves up in society— on the contrary, it seemed to me that they were in support of it, but bothered by the many difficulties the governess job presented. On page 575 of our book, the author explains how saturated the workforce is with governesses and says that women should “labour in other fields, and thus diminish the superabundant stock of teachers.” The author then goes on to further support women and their abilities with the statement: “there are many women as capable of discharging the office of clerk and book-keeper as men.”

3. I definitely agree with what you argued in your post—especially that women that sought to be governesses ran the risk of going insane. I can see the insanity happening because of the high competition for the position, and the limited income that it provided, especially when governesses wound up costing less than sending their children to schools. I also agree with and enjoy the quote you used from Bronte’s “Jane Eyre” and feel as though it reflects the argument validly and supports it. Bronte certainly seems to support the position of governesses, especially through the actions of and role of Jane Eyre throughout the novel.

4. I don’t think it’s so much being a governess that causes the insanity but the social rejection families placed upon the poor governess that caused it. Much of the article discussed the capabilities of a governess, even arguing for the weight they must carry for families concerning their secrets and caring for children without the love that usually accompanies it as a mother would. It was the isolation and the communication with nothing but the children of whom they taught that caused some governesses to go mad, not so much the teaching and molding of children, of which they were paid to do.