Interview with Tessa Fryer, Fall 2021

Tessa Fryer
Tessa Fryer, portrait by Patrick Hopkins

Interview by Patrick Hopkins, Visual Arts Major
with Tessa Fryer, Senior, Double Major in Psychology and Philosophy

What is your name and pronouns? 

My name is Tessa Fryer, and my pronouns are she/her.

What is your age and major?

I’m 21, a senior, graduating in Spring, and I’m double majoring is Psych and Philosophy.

Where are you from?

About thirty minutes south of Albany. Originally, I’m from South Korea, and I was adopted when I was 6 months old. 

What types of hobbies or activities are you interested in?

I’m really interested in reading a lot of philosophy, I also enjoy writing, and music I really find interesting. I also like researching psychological topics, fashion, and the outdoors. 

Has campus made you feel welcomed as an Asian woman, and a child of adoption for
that matter?

Yes. Honestly being at New Paltz was very helpful for me. Idon’t know for sure, but from what I see, I feel it’s more inclusive than other schools. I’ve never felt discriminated against while here. Maybe it’s a privileged position for me, but personally I haven’t felt discriminated against.

How does the community here at New Paltz differ from your home?

I would say there’s a lot more diversity, across all wavelengths with race, sexuality, etc. In my hometown, it was very small so there wasn’t much diversity, and I was one of about five Asians at home. But here, there’s more. Back home, I was one of the “few”Asian kids but here I feel like I’m like everyone else, if that makes sense.

What personal journey brought you to your current role?

I transferred after my first semester at Oneonta. I have three older brothers and I’m the youngest. They all went to New Paltz, so when I was a senior in High School, I knew that I did not want to come to New Paltz because I had been visiting here since I was 14 to see them, and I just wanted to have my own journey. So, I ended up choosing SUNY Oneonta, but then after a semester I decided it wasn’t the place for me, so I ended up in New Paltz anyway.

What issues or challenges are you confronted with?

Regardingmy background, one of the biggest challenges for me is the fact that I was adopted into a Caucasian family that doesn’t share the same race as me. Ao one of the only challenges for me is that if I were to visit Korea, I wouldn’t feel 100% that I belonged there, even though I would look the same.  But when I’m here, my mom is Irish and my dad is English, so I don’t necessarily feel the same either. I’m not biracial, but culturally, I feel that’s the best way to describe how I feel. There’s a very niche community that I feel like I most belong to and that’swith other Asian adoptees. 

Why do these challenges exist? 

Notfor good reason, not for no reason, but it makes sense. I’m thankful every day that I was adopted,and I never once did I want to change that. Nor did I ever think about going back to Korea or try to find a life there. So that’sone of the challenges that comes with it and something I must deal with. But the good outweighs all that absolutely. Maybe those challenges exist because here, no matter how inclusive people are, at the end of the day I’ll still feel that I don’t look like everyone else here. But that’s no oneelse’s fault. I’m fine with that, it just is what it is.

What are your most important sources of success and change?

I honestly think my most important source of success is my mentality. I have a really good work ethic and I know what I’m capable of. I know alot of things don’t come easy, and I’m fine with that. There are people who want things handed to them, but that’s not how the world works and I’m okay with going through hardships if it means that something good will come in the end. My lifestyle, mentality, and world view are my biggest sources of success. The way I was raised showed me that you can’t just expect things, you must work for them. Just be a good person and hopefullythat will come back to you as well. My family doesn’t come from a lot of money, so that influenced me as well, and I’m thankful for that. I’m honestly glad that I didn’t come from a lot of money because I think it really shaped me to be more understanding and more patient.

What are changes that you would like to see and be part of?

People need to ask more questions and not be so comfortable and complacent. People need to think for themselvesa lot more than they’re doing rightnow. I like to think I’m a part of that, but I would like more of the people around me to be a part of that as well. I think it’s okay for everyone else to think differently, it’s good, and it helps humanity if were all a bit different. Just for people to think for themselves because we have that freedom right now so people should use it.

Who else needs to be pulled into the conversation?

Everyone. There’s no reason for anyone to be left out of this conversation. Everyone can benefit from being a part of it. No one is more responsible to be in it than others. Everyone just needs to step back and think about “What do I think for me?”,instead of “What does everyone else want me to think?”. When you get to the end of your life and look back, you’re going to realize, “Wow, I really wish I was truer and more honest with myself and how I thought, and I wish I expressed myself more accurately.” There’s a quote by the Dalai Lama, he said “Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.” That’s perfect. That’sone of my favorite quotes, it’s so true. I attribute that to how true we are to our word. We should speak our minds and not act in a way that will make society happy or make the majority happy. Do what you want, and just be a good person. 

Interview by Patrick Hopkins, Visual Arts Major as part of a collaborative Interview Book Project in ARS 331 Photo Books and Installations.