I documented my process through stop motion developing a moving self-portrait utilizing unconventional found natural materials such as leaves, twigs, and decaying stems that I selected from my backyard. I used these products as a drawing element to capture my current physical (features) and mental state (facial expression) at this point in my life. I re-used a piece of cardboard from an empty box as a neutral or earth toned surface to work off of. The objects I used will be returned to the garden to decompose once I am satisfied with one of my stop motions. The materials and lesson I hope to bring into my future classroom(s) connects since just like natural objects and seasons, people are constantly changing as well. This includes both our physical features with growing up/aging, self expression (through clothes, etc), and how feel at each moment and view ourselves/self-worth. The natural products and the nature of human beings also relate to the cycle of growth and decay. Thus, my creation is temporary and Stop Motion Studio is necessary in order to record “my” existence as all the components change and “disintegrate.” Students will learn that their final product does not have to be tangible in order for it to be valuable or meaningful to them as their artistic processes and work can be documented digitally. They will be able to think creatively and demonstrate environmentally conscious behavior as they find new ways to use what they already have around them to transform it into something.

Mentor Artist: Sculptor and Photographer Andy Goldsworthy

http://www.artnet.com/artists/andy-goldsworthy/

3 thoughts on “Final Project Progress

1. Malka, I think stop motion is a really great way (and more engaging than just photos) to document the student’s work and create more of a piece that students can share with each other. Through your description, I see that you have two big ideas emerging, change and sustainability, that I think do compliment one another, but could be misinterpreted. Are you planning on giving an option to focus on one or the other? Or is the project meant to include both ideas?

2. Hi Malka! I love how much your project calls to attention the ever changing nature of our personality and identity. Stop motion is also a really great choice for showing growth and development and im really excited to see what your final product turns out to be!

3. Hey Malka! I have to say I really enjoyed your presentation today! This lesson is really interesting, and bringing natural materials into the classroom is a great way to teach sustainable art. The way you combine decay, evolution, and change to make a portrait is so striking! I’d love to see what a class would make with this lesson.