Meaningful Making: Projects and Inspirations for FabLabs and Makerspaces, Chapter 16

Author: Gilson Domingues and Pietro Domingues

Reflection: “The Young Papaneks: In the Face of a Problem, a Project”

I picked this chapter because I am fascinated by ways in which people transform waste products/materials around them into something that serves a purpose again or is used as a means to send an impactful message. Gilson and Pietro Dominigues share that they, like other Brazilians, are “natural born designers” as they give value to low-cost, excessive materials while creating a cleaner community. When children reuse resources, they learn about how to alter materials around them to suit their artistic needs. Being a designer looks different for each age group. Children often use play to make discoveries and learn how to connect pieces together. I believe that there needs to be more opportunities for students to create experiences together within (art) classrooms. I would have middle school students work collaboratively to explore design and fabrication through building toys using unconventional materials. Groups of students could use cardboard and other discarded materials brought from home and/or found at school to invent their own kinetic toy based on their interests. In order to do so, they will learn how to use motors (after I gain more experience) to bring their creations into action. Students could then use markers or paint to add details to their creations after the parts are all put together. Along the way, children will learn that through the repetition of the prototyping process, their designs or products will keep on improving.

Unfortunately, I personally have not had the opportunity to use motors within the art classroom in K-12. Though, I did my best to reuse materials around me or use products to their full potential. Due to my exploration of potential surfaces to create on in 11th and 12th grade, I discovered the beauty of painting with acrylics on cardboard. I fell in love with how smooth it was in contrast to canvas and how the brown surface set a tone for my work. I delved beyond the surface after my appreciation for the ribs that peaked through to the top layer and made holes and rips at times to reveal another dimension when it suited my artistic visions. Thus, I believe that all children need the opportunity to test common materials to their full potential and recognize how such objects can be transformed to live beyond their initial purpose.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18jlCteVYdqpTufNu4BV1K_Gn7smotYGQc5SeG2C93Ac/edit