I aspire to become an art educator so that I can inspire, guide, and assist my future students in achieving their aesthetic and expressive goals. Specifically, I would love to continue to work with middle schoolers and/or high schoolers. However, I think I will be best fit to guide an advanced middle school or advanced high school/AP class as I would feel confident in pushing their creative boundaries. 

Unlike most, my main motivation stems from moments of witnessing or being involved in undesirable situations within the art classrooms. My unfortunate past experiences throughout sixth through twelfth grade regarding art education made me question what it takes to become an art teacher. Over the course of these years, I rarely witnessed the art “teachers” showing examples of their own work, demonstrating how to most effectively use the material, or giving a hand to a student clearly in need. Thus, it was challenging for me to take their thoughts about my work into consideration when I did not even know what my own “teachers” were capable of doing. It was difficult to look up to those “teachers” when they would not have the drive to do what is expected of them. They failed to recognize the needs of each student (even beyond art) and seemingly had no desire to get to know each artist.

I feared being called on and dreaded my work being used as the class example. My teachers, outside of art as well, did not understand. I was left to watch students struggle artistically and was asked by some of my peers to share how I accomplished a certain task. Though, I would just turn red as my social anxiety consumed me. It was not until my junior and senior year of high school when I finally was comfortable discussing my tips with others. Not only was I comfortable, but I would look forward to doing so. It came to the point that it was me walking around the AP art classroom taking a break from my own work for a moment to see the work of those around me (I will strongly encourage my future students to do this). I would be the one to initiate conversation with my peers, who I was all familiar with from the year prior, asking if they needed help or wanted to share their ideas.

Even though I was left with many unanswered questions about the art world myself, my senior year made it very clear to me that becoming an art educator truly is my purpose in life. In middle school I felt like I had to become an art teacher, but in high school I saw myself as an art teacher. This made me eager to attend SUNY New Paltz as I was only able to imagine what else I would be able to achieve knowing I would meet and learn from such well-rounded professors. My vision did indeed come true. 

I believe most art teachers’ dreams (my future self included) involve having students who are curious about the world around them. The ones who do not simply see a house, but notice the way the light casts a unique shadow onto the freshly cut grass…the way its colors and textures intertwine with one another yet feel so distant.  We strive to guide those who want to learn how to translate their visual experiences into a still or moving image so we feel we have a sense of purpose. We want the students that will become teachers of the class at times. The students who will share their knowledge with others when we do not have the “answers” and are left to listen. 

There is always more for us to learn which is why I am excited for this course. I have a very basic understanding of the software and the tools/materials we will be using, but I know this experience will help me become a better mentor in the future. I hope this class will inspire me to incorporate some unconventional art projects in the classroom and help us all to re-invent what art education can look like.