The Walking Shakespeare: A Comparison of Main Characters

by Kristin Lynch (Circle 1)

Julius Caesar is a play that presents a competition between two forms of government. Caesar represents the monarch way of doing things and Brutus and his crew represent the democratic way of deciding the fate of the people. As I got two know each character throughout acts 1-4 I began to analyze each man’s character and characteristics of leadership roles. I could not help but to draw parallels between these two men’s leadership characteristics and that of Shane and Rick from AMC’s hit show The Walking Dead. Two men; one no better than the other. Both have faced violence and war. Both see each other as a brother or close friends. Both have very different ideas about what is best for the people.

Shane like Caesar is viewed by the people as more then capable to rule. He appears just as modest as he needs to and has kept them safe so far so, he must be a great ruler. Both Caesar and Shane consider themselves more valuable than any other person and are said to become irrational and feared when given positions of power.  Both characters make decisions with personal intent and to subtlety manipulate the people in to thinking they are genuinely modest. Like when Shane went crazy and broke the chain on the barn (because he was mad). But, made it look like he was just oh so eager to protect the people. Comparatively Caesar pushed the crown aside in front of a crowed three times, appearing to be thinking about what is best for the people. But, clearly thinks he would be the best to rule; he refers to himself as something like a god. Both characters will go to great lengths to save face and prove their leadership. For example, Caesar trusts his wife when she tells him not to go to the capital. However, he ignores his wife’s prophesy to prove his capability of receiving the crown. Both characters become a target as soon as some of the people closer to their environment start to catch on to how fake they are. One by one, the group of high ranked folks in both Shake spears play and the TV series see the men as completely arrogant and weekend from power. At the moment of death for each character we see a very calm approach to their extinction. Rick slowly removes his gun and starts handing it over to Shane as a way of manipulating Shane in to thinking he can trust him while obtaining a position to kill. The conspirators do the exact same. The men (except Brutus) kneel down in front of Caesar and plead for the release of someone. It is then, when the heads of men without brains are the biggest they are the weakest. Both Caesar and Shane are stabbed by a friend for the greater good.

The parallels between Brutus and Rick are also pretty cool to explore. Brutus and Rick know how they truly feel about their hot headed friend, but they wait for other friends to bring it up to them before they start making plans to do something about it. These characters are ultimately pushed to the point of killing for the greater good, but they don’t want to at fist. Rick has to (kill) now that he sees Shane for as violent as he feared anyone would become. Brutus feels he has to (kill) because he knows what Caesar is capable of and has to make a move before he gets the crown and possibly does something stupid. Both Rick and Brutus are known for being honorable and it is ultimately their honor (Caesars to Rome/the people, Ricks to Lori/the people) that causes them to kill not in cold blood but in sacrifice to assure fairness for everyone. Brutus tells Antony in Act3 Scene1, “Why I, that did love Caesar when I struck him, Have thus proceeded”. This line pin points the emotions of Ricks and Brutus’s  character so well. These men are not killers. They loved their friend, but he was corrupt. As Brutus puts it something like I love Rome more, Rick says something like I killed my best friend for you people!

7 thoughts on “The Walking Shakespeare: A Comparison of Main Characters

1. Andrea Stowell

Kristin,
    I have never seen The Walking Dead, but think it’s interesting how an old play by Shakespeare is totally relatable to a current t.v show. Before this class I didn’t have the slightest idea that She’s the Man is based on The Twelfth Night, which shocked me considering it’s one of my favorite movies. I find it funny because most people would probably choose a modern t.v show or movie like The Walking Dead or She’s the Man over a play by Shakespeare, but little do they know they all correspond with one another and portray similar ideas. Kudos to Shakespeare for staying relevant in today’s young generation.

2. Danielle

Kristin,
    I’ve only seen a few episodes of The Walking Dead and do not really remember any of the plot line or characters, but I really like your take on this blog post. I find it really helpful when I can make connections between the text and something like a show or movie that I am interested in. Like Andrea said, it shows that Shakespeare’s works, although written such a long time ago, are still being applied to modern works and is still relevant. I like how you are able to find parallels between two of both works main characters, Julius Caesar and Shane, as well as Brutus and Rick.

3. Orr Klein

Kristin,
    Like some of the other commenters, I haven’t seen much of the walking dead, but I think your analysis is pretty clever and I enjoyed reading your comparison. I always like seeing contemporary comparisons to Shakespeare because they not only allow me to understand Shakespeare’s characters by using something I’m familiar with, but I think it’s pretty interesting to see where the origin of these characters may have come from. I feel as if his character archetypes are pretty timeless and can be applied throughout any story, but I’m curious to watch some of the walking dead to better understand your references.

4. Alyssa

Kristin,
    I really enjoyed reading your post! I’ve watched mostly every season so far of The Walking Dead and your comparisons couldn’t be more accurate. I thought it was really interesting and creative to compare a Shakespeare play with a television show about zombies. Your comparison of Brutus and Rick made me get a better understanding for Brutus. Caesar and Shane are similar because the both of them strive for power and manipulate others into thinking they are doing things for the greater good, when in reality they are doing the opposite. As you have stated, Rick and Brutus do things to better those around them, whether or not it’s something as painful to do as killing your friend.

5. Lauren

Kristin,

I absolutely adore the fact that you chose to draw comparison between Julius Caesar and The Walking Dead! Both the renowned play and the massively popular TV show depict scenarios in which a figure-head, or some form of leadership, is contested but also deemed as necessary.

Just like Shane and Rick, Brutus and Caesar are competitors for the same position. This commonality renders them opponents, but it also provides a bond between them which is inseparable. Brutus and Julius Caesar respectively represent republic and the monarchy, but truly, they are rooted in the same fundamentals – a concentration of power, a form of leadership, and competition. So really, what is the difference between a republic and a monarchy? What is the difference between Shane and Rick, and Brutus and Caesar?

The great fallacy of Julius Caesar is perhaps the unwillingness to relish in the common ground that two viewpoints possess.

6. Christine Fahnestock

Absolutely love this blog post–definitely haven’t come across a comparison like this before, nor had I thought of it myself. As someone who’s watched all but the last two recent episodes I can definitely agree with your position on this; the characters from Shakespeare’s play and those in The Walking Dead have striking similarities in their characteristics and how they handle the political side of things. Really, really glad you brought this to light.
    The parallel is a bit more interesting, too, as it’s Shane/Caesar that dies, and Rick/Brutus that lives (yet bears some consequences, if I’m remembering correctly). I wonder if there was some Shakespearean inspiration in the show afterall 🙂

7. Danielle Lown

Kristin,
    I have never seen the show The Walking Dead before, but I am intrigued by the fact that you decided to compare this play to something in the modern time period. I am often wondering how these plays would be if they were rewritten and modernized so it is very interesting to see that you drew comparisons to something from the modern world. I am now curious to know if this show is in some way adapted from Shakespeare’s time. I am now interested in watching the show to see if I can draw any similarities too! Very interesting post.