Wit & Propriety

Hello there, my name is Chelsea Wright.  I am a Creative Writing Major, with a psychology minor. My favorite authors are Jodi Picoult & Maggie Nelson.

Given that James Fordyce spent a great deal of his essay discussing wit, it seems necessary to blog on propriety. With this in mind, the reader of such an essay can not help but think of Elizabeth Bennet.

Now, as to whether James Fordyce’s ideas correlate directly with the ideas of Pride and Prejudice is questionable. I believe that the book mocks a great deal of the notions that Fordyce puts into question, while at the same time going along with these notions.

In a ‘conversation’ between Mr. Bringley, Elizabeth, and Mr. Darcy, the idea of propriety is indirectly touched upon. Propriety is of the utmost importance throughout the novel, for all characters. James Fordyce makes the importance of propriety in society extremely apparent in his sermon.

During the ‘conversation’ (Austen 87) amongst the trio, rather an argument,  Elizabeth rudely laughs and soon after realizes that she has offended Mr. Darcy and, although going against her rebellious natures, ‘checks’ her laugh (Austen 87). This is to say, and make apparent to the reader, that although Elizabeth is rebellious, and often goes out of her way to defy society norms,  she is still a respectful young lady. Rude is rude.

Soon after this, Austen notes that Mr. Bingley becomes upset and aggravated that there is an argument happening in his presence, when he himself finds arguments to be going against the rules of proper etiquette.

Mr. Darcy, as this scene goes on (Austen 87) finds himself entranced by Elizabeth Bennet more so than ever before, which would imply that the Sermons to Young Women  by Fordyce does not always offer the best advice. He writes, :”As to the affection of wit, one can hardly say, whether it be most ridiculous or hurtful. The abuse of it, which we have been just considering, we are sometimes, perhaps too often, inclined to forgive, for the sake of that amusement which in spite of all the improprieties mentioned it yet affords, “(401). This being said Fordyce argues that women should avoid being exceptionally witty, but also admits that to some, this extreme wittiness is enticing.

After reviewing not only the book, but the Sermons as well, it seems that I ultimately see Fordyce agreeing with the mocking of propriety that takes place throughout Pride and Prejudice. Propriety is important, and wittiness is ultimately what draws Mr. Darcy to Elizabeth. The Sermons touch on what ought to be done, while arguing that going against what ought to be done may ultimately be beneficial.

One thought on “Wit & Propriety

1. I really agreed with your comments on James Fordyce’s article presenting the notions of the woman’s role in the period through a more questioning tone. I felt like what Fordyce was saying within his article was pertinent to the society within the novel that Austen is going against through Darcy and Elizabeth’s wit and rebellious tendencies. I’d love to hear more about Fordyce’s mocking elements throughout his sermons.
    Tori