Introduction & Wit

Hi, my name is Autumn Holladay. I am an English major with minors in Creative Writing and Film & Video Studies with a concentration in production. My favorite authors are T. S. Eliot, William Faulkner, Carson McCullers and Robert Penn Warren.

Pride and Prejudice mocks James Fordyce’s Sermons for Young Women, even though the text had some value to the principles of the time. First off, as a way of introducing the text in PAP, Mr. Collins picks out the Sermons to read to the Bennet family, yet, can only read three pages before Lydia interrupts him and offends him: “I have often observed how little ladies are interested by books of a serious stamp, though written solely for their benefit…there can be nothing so advantageous to them as instruction” (Austen 103). Austen comments on this belief through Mary Bennet: the only sister who reads such conduct books and, ironically, is the sister with the least amount of suitors. Both Mary and Mr. Collins study conduct books and apply them to the real world, in which the conduct codes ultimately fail. Mary has read that a lady should be accomplished in music and the arts. She applies this code by singing and playing the piano at Bingley’s ball, yet it does not work out. She takes it too far and the audience is bored; Mr. Bennet must tell her to stop. The code does not work in a real world setting.

James Fordyce was a clergy man like Mr. Collins who tried to seek fortune in London. The Sermons include an essay meant to dissuade women from making witty remarks since men would be less likely to marry because “every wit is a critic by profession” and thus would not make a peaceful marriage (400). As an argument against this, Elizabeth’s wit is what attracts Mr. Darcy to her first, rather than her looks or her accomplishments. In fact, out of all of the Bennet sisters, Elizabeth has three marriage proposals from: Mr. Collins, Mr. Wickham and Mr. Darcy and is the wittiest of the sisters. Her wit also leads her to decline all of them before agreeing to Mr. Darcy. From this point, it seems clear Pride and Prejudice works as an argument against such Lady Conduct books.

One thought on “Introduction & Wit

1. Autumn,

I couldn’t help but feel sorry for Mary, who is described as the “plain” sister who reads up on conduct codes like Fordyce’s and only ends up failing to make herself desirable in spite of her efforts. Elizabeth, meanwhile, defies the standards laid out by Fordyce and attracts a number of suitors with her wit. The juxtaposition between the two sisters stands to show Austen’s own opinions on Fordyce’s sermons, and I wonder if Mary and Elizabeth are based off of examples Austen witnessed in real life.