Jennifer Fortuna Blog Post 1

My name is Jennifer Fortuna.  I am an English major with a minor in Creative Writing.  My favorite author is J.D Salinger.

I think that Pride and Prejudice challenges the ideas in Fordyce’s sermon.  Elizabeth is a complete embodiment of all the attributes Fordyce warns against in his piece.  Fordyce states, “But when I speak on this subject, need I tell you, that men of the best sense have been usually averse to marrying a witty woman?” (400).  Elizabeth is quite witty and frequently criticizes Mr. Darcy which Fordyce specifically says not to do.  The entire sermon warns women against behaving in manners that he deems to not be agreeable.  I think that Austen critiques these sort of conduct books through creating the character of Elizabeth, who is by no means agreeable in accordance to Fordyce, but is such a wonderful character.  Fordyce claims that witty women will not be attractive to men of good sense, but Elizabeth has clearly caught the attention of not only Mr. Darcy, but Mr. Collins, and Mr. Wickham.

Jane’s character is in stark contrast to Elizabeth.  Jane fits into Fordyce’s depiction of how a woman should behave.  Jane’s agreeableness works for her throughout the novel thus far, but I think that her looks also have great influence over the way that she is treated.  Austen emphasizes Jane’s looks multiple times.  When Mr. Collins first meets Jane, he wishes to marry her and mentions how beautiful she is.  In contrast to Jane is Mary.  Mary tries to follow the rules of Victorian society, but is unsuccessful as she is not as attractive as Jane.

The novel rejects the ideas in the sermon because Elizabeth is just as successful as Jane in terms of winning the attention of men.  The only characters in the novel who seem to not like Elizabeth are Bingley’s sister, who have their own reasons for not like Elizabeth that have nothing to do with her behaving socially inappropriate.

One thought on “Jennifer Fortuna Blog Post 1

1. I was conflicted in the way that The Pride and the Prejudice dealt with Fordyce’s novel. You, however, make a good point in how Jane is considered the ideal image of a virtuous women yet she does not favor as well with the gentlemen as Elizabeth does. I even think about Mary, who is the sister that read books like Fordyce’s in order to become the ideal woman. She was not very successful either but turned out to be a hindrance more than anything else toward the family during their social events. It definitely seems that The Pride and the Prejudice was intended to subvert and even antagonize many of Fordyce’s teachings.