St. George Street is located in at the corner of George Street and Margaret street. According to Charles Booth, this area consisted mostly of middle and upper class citizens. The church first opened its doors on September 4 1850, and it was created to serve a Roman Catholic population of immigrants coming from Ireland. The two architects were Joseph and Charles Hansom and their builder Ralph Witherly from York.
In Romance in a Shop, Conny has a conversation with Gertrude about how she spends much of her time at Saint George and how she has no interest in getting married. She is much more content spending time under a glass ceiling (conservatories). Compared to how much life is changing for her other sisters, while hers seems to not give in to giving up on the new woman idea.
‘Parish Church of St. George.’ An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 1981. 20. British History Online. Web. 30 October 2015. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/york/vol5/p20.