Skin Color and the Price of Beauty

Well. From the first sentence that read “all women who belong to the white race always concern themselves, and will always concern themselves, about the purity, freshness, and brilliancy of their complexion”that already took the cake to inspire me to write a hearty response. Naturally, in this era, the only race that is even considered a race, is the white one. Women of this time period also consider their “fine” and “fair” skin to be a delicacy, and apparently, some believe it is inherited to be of a beautiful complexion.

According to various passages in this article, pure blood that accounts for silky smooth skin, and blonde wavy or straight hair, blemish and freckle free, have the best skin tone on the planet, and therefore, are deemed a complete human (not to mention the most “beautiful). But to be a women of a rich or popular standing, they would have to conform to this mandatory societal view that demands specific reactions and applications to beauty. A specific amount of makeup is necessary, and making ones face as pale as possible (vitamin D free I suppose(no sunlight for you)) is the epitome of pretty. Anyone who defies this, rejects it, or really, disagrees with this notion will not be treated as a “lady” and are looked down upon.

I guess the worst part is that there are so many aspects that go into beauty, that of course it is impossible to be beautiful. I believe that any individual, of all skin colors, should be able to have the freedom to feel that they are naturally beautiful based on the body that they are born into, because it is true, all people of all colors and skin tones, are beautiful. Skinny or fat? Both are beautiful. Dark or light? Both are Elegant. Soft hair or rough hair? Both are spectacular. I personally feel that this conventional standard is pompous and ridiculous, but it was important for me to learn that this is how troublesome the beauty standards were in this era, and it made me realize that here in America it is the same. Problematic isn’t it? To add to that, its 2015 and we still have beauty issues and self-absorbed rules to what is beautiful and what is not. There are so many self-conscious and depressed/non confident women (and men too). I mean I would be too if these were all things that had to be fixed/watched out for in order to be beautiful. I mean look at these categories:

Face, Wrinkles, Complexion, Disease, Sunburn, Warts, Blemishes, Depilatories, Water(?), Cosmetics, Hands, Arms, Powders, Hygiene, and the Body.

They basically had something to say/fix/criticize every part of the body. No wonder so many people have self-image issues related to the body nowadays. The scary part: nothing has really changed.

(Health and Hygiene-Beauty, Health, Sanitary Products-Complexion-Colour/http://www.victorianlondon.org/index-2012.htm)

3 thoughts on “Skin Color and the Price of Beauty

1. I am not all that shocked by your findings about skin color but your notes on freckles did. I love freckles, I wish I had them. I find it funny that pale skin was treasured in the Victorian Era but now it seems like being tan is more prized. I like your comments regarding acceptance versus conformity.

2. Hi Josh,
    Great observations about the intersections of race, gender, and beauty! You’re entirely right also about the problematic similarities between policing of femininity in the Victorian period and the present.
    What did you make of the article’s discussion about disease? And did anything surprise you about the article’s insistence that women should avoid being thin and should put on weight? Any theories on why that would be a beauty standard of the day?

3. Hey Josh, I totally agree with your opinion about skin tone and race. I also find it completely absurd that a simple thing like skin tone played such a huge role in the social environment. The tables have completely changed from that time, since “tan” or “glowing” skin is treasured and much more widely admired. There is no pale “cover girl” on Elle or Glamour magazines. Besides, a little vitamin D never hurt anyone, right?