Intro post

Hey everyone! My name is Mike Falsetta! I’m a senior and I am an English major with a Film/Video studies minor. I know what am I gonna do with that. We’ll just see I guess. Anyway yes I am taking this class because it is a requirement for my major but also because it seemed really interesting and I enjoy the hybrid class so far so I figured why not try another one. Also who doesn’t love London, am I right? For what ever reason I always feel like people are infatuated with London (my reason is Doctor Who) so I figured why not figure out more about it. I really hope to have a fun and informative class!

So after reading the article, I learned some pretty interesting things about early London. First off northern London was filled with people who only cared about themselves. Apparently they let a river stop them from helping out southern London who was in serious need. Finally after expanding and connecting northern London set aid and trade over freshly made bridges halfway through 1700s. That was not enough though. They kept expanding going west and picking up on land they had from centuries past. But how did they learn to expand and move so fast? Well many inventions came about to help with speed and travel. The bridges were made to the south and railways started sprouting up all over London. There was good and bad that came with all this expansion. Many people gained jobs due to building new bridges and roads and railways. But on the flip side many families homes were destroyed to the expansion of all these travel options. As with most, I guess you could say “industrial revolutions” there is always upsides and downsides. Trade in quickness and more efficiency for some tragedies such as loss of homes and smog. Such is life.

3 thoughts on “Intro post

1. Northern London was definitely full of selfish people. I feel like the rich folk only wanted to build and expand when it was convenient for themselves. Even after building several bridges and aiding the south a bit, they still considered it to be a distasteful place and for the most part, it was. Mostly because that’s where they had been putting their unfavorable industries, prisons, and asylums for years. It was dirty, filled with poor people, and had been separated for so long that it had built a longstanding bad reputation.

2. I’ve mentioned this before, but I’ll mention it again: The bridges being built over the Thames can definitely be considered the beginning of the industrial revolution, not only introducing London to the modern world but eventually making it the epicenter. Everything is new and shiny and convenient, but underneath there is still the poverty and all the parts of London that no one wants to address. Some things never really change.

3. Welcome to the class! (Also, it’s always nice to meet other Doctor Who fans.)

Good work addressing issues of class, transportation, technology, commerce, and pollution. We’ll come back to them a lot throughout the semester.