

RESIDENCE HALL STUDENT ASSOCIATION
ASSOCIATE COUNCIL MEETING

Date: 2/28/22

Location: SUB409

CALL TO ORDER 9:02 PM

Emily: Hey y'all! I'm going to call this week's meeting to order.

MYSTERY ACTIVITY 9:02 PM

Emily: I hope y'all enjoy looking at our old yearbooks! Allison, when is yearbook committee?

Allison: Yearbook committee is every Friday, 3 to 4 in the RHSA office! I would love to see you and get your input or help.

ROLL CALL/HALL REPORTS 9:08 PM

Saskia: Hi everybody! So when I call your hall, if you can give me the number of people representing your hall, how many RHSA shirts you have on, how many NRHH shirts you have on, how many Conference shirts you have on, and a hall report from your hall gov if you have one.

Hall Name	Number Present	RHSA Shirts	NRHH Shirts	Conference Shirts	Hall Report
Ashokan	3	0	0	0	Next Thursday, March 10th, holding a Scooby Doo: Spooky Island movie night- feel free to wear wear themed attire, our hall gov will be the full Scooby squad (Mystery Machine included)
Bliss	2	0	0	0	Nothing to report.
Bouton	0	0	0	0	None.
Capen	1	1	0	0	Holding an Encanto movie night for midterms next week- wear pajamas!
College-Shango	2	0	0	0	No new currently, but planning some events so stay tuned!
Esopus	2	1	0	0	Midterms destress and self care event, date TBD but probably next week. Also very happy about open mic event turnout!
Gage	3	3	0	0	Just came back from Black History Month Kahoot program we held!
Lenape	3	3	0	0	Holding a Disney karaoke night tomorrow.

Minnewaska	0	0	0	0	None.
Mohonk	1	0	0	0	Nothing to report.
Ridgeview	1	1	0	0	Next meeting Wednesday, some events developing including a documentary watching event.
Scudder	1	1	0	0	Nothing to report.
Shawangunk	0	0	0	0	None.

SENATE 9:12 PM

Chet: Thank you very much for having me. I'm Chet, the Senate Chair for the Student Association Senate and I come to these meetings to make reports. There are a few things to announce. Our meeting is this week on Wednesday at 5pm in room 6263. Everyone is welcome if you want to sit in, listen along, or have anything you want to contribute. Around the campus, hopefully already, you'll be seeing some posters with QR codes on them. Those QR codes will take you to a Google Form which is a comments and concerns page. If there is anything on campus you would like the Student Association or Student Senate to look into, you can go through that and leave a comment which will be looked over by our Senators as well as the Student Concerns committee which is starting up very soon. The last thing is tentatively in the works. We're planning an event with a group called Soul Fire Farm which will be focused on reducing racism through the food system and how to be community leaders to that effect. Please stay tuned because it's going to be a great event, and I'll have more information soon.

NRHH 9:14 PM

Eric: We're planning on having our first tabling coming up throughout the next couple weeks so keep an eye out for that. We'll be either in the SUB or Peregrine Dining Hall. We have decided to continue rolling applications until the end of the semester, so if anyone is interested in joining we'll be doing application review rolling so you can be inducted sooner. If anyone is interested, I'll take emails after the meeting.

Emily: You can also see NRHH in the yearbook. They do a lot of cool events, so if you're interested in doing anything like that please talk to Eric after the meeting!

OLD BUSINESS 9:15 PM

Motion to Open Old Business: Bliss
Second: Gage

Historian

Allison: I have our winners from the latest riddle in the minutes on the Facebook! In first place we have Gage! *Moose Clap* Now for info about the riddle in the minutes, I'll hand it over to Saskia.

Secretary

Saskia: The riddle in the last minutes we rolled out was “What does the acronym NRHH stand for?” The answer, which can be found on our website as well as some other places, is that it stands for National Residence Hall Honorary. If you have any questions or interest in NRHH, please reach out to Eric or Emily or anyone who is involved to get involved with that organization because they do some great stuff. Once again, this week’s minutes are also going to have a riddle hidden in there and that's going to be published in the email blast, on the website, and on the Facebook. Feel free to go on our Facebook to answer that and win some GFPs for your hall!

Historian

Allison: Here’s your weekly reminder that whenever you put on a program with your hall government, you should fill out a lovely PUP sheet to earn GFPS! All the PUP sheets are available on our website, like if you do a program with an RA Liaison or a passive program or whatnot. Just fill it out, get the proper signatures, and then hand it in to us or email it to us. You must hand it in no more than 2 weeks after the event took place.

Vice President

Parker: We just want to thank everyone who came to our Night at the Dorsky Museum Buzz. It was a lot of fun! We had some cool scavenger hunts, and special shoutout to Lenape for doing the dinosaur tracing.

Lenape: What happened to Samantha?

Saskia: I’m so sorry, I forgot to bring her after I promised you! She will make a return because I know you want her back. Feel free to reach out to me to request Samantha back if I don’t remember.

Emily: She can make a special appearance at Coffee House if y’all want.

Motion to Close Old Business: Gage

Second: Bliss

NEW BUSINESS 9:18 PM

Motion to Open New Business: Ridgeview

Second: Esopus

Coffee House

Madison: I’m here to remind you that Coffee house will be Wednesday, March 2nd from 6:30pm - 8:30pm. There will be performances, a blind date with a book section where we raffle some of the EBoard’s favorite books but they’re disguised so you don't know what they are, as well as various treats and goodies for refreshments. It is going to be very fun so we hope to see you all there!

Emily: I almost ordered 34 gallons of hot apple cider for Coffee House but, don’t worry, I ordered the right amount.

Positional Q&A

Emily: Each and every one of us on the E-Board know how nerve wracking it can be to run for an E-Board position. We really want to thank y'all who are running for positions because it means a lot to us and encourage the rest of you to get curious. It's so different to read the duties in our Constitution than learning from that person in that position so we're going to have a positional Q&A just about every meeting so you have a chance to ask us questions you have about joining the E-Board. Does anyone have any questions about what we do, any of the vacancies that we have, or what we do on campus?

Gage: What vacancies are there?

Emily: For this EBoard or for next year's EBoard?

Gage: Next year's EBoard.

Emily: The positions that have not had any nominations or people haven't accepted are President, NCC, Secretary, Treasurer, and Historian.

Allison: You can still be nominated if someone has been nominated already, but those are just the ones we have no interest for as of right now.

Emily: No one is elected to any of the positions because we've held no elections yet this semester, so anything is up for grabs. Did you have any questions about any positions in general?

Gage: What is NCC?

Emily: NCC stands for the National Communications Coordinator. You communicate with every RHSA regionally, which is very fun because you get to see how other schools operate with programming and advocacy. Technically I do it now and I did it when I was in NRHH. *Where is the RHSA office located?* You get to choose delegates for conferences, both regionally and nationally, you get a lot of free stuff from conferences, and you get to communicate with a lot of other RHSAs in the region to talk about programming and events to bring it back to us and make our campus a better place. I know NCC is a lot because it is a full fledged EBoard position but it's more of the background workings.

Any other questions? If not you can find us in our office hours in Capen B16, and our office hours are on our Instagram. Feel free to come talk to us about anything.

Change in Election Schedule

Allison: Due to some scheduling conflicts, we've decided to switch the election dates for PR and CCC. Now the CCC election materials will be due on March 28th and the election will be held on April 4th, and the PR election materials will be due April 4th and the election will be held April 11th. If you're planning to run for these positions, please keep these schedule changes in mind! An updated election schedule is always available on our website.

Nominations

Motion to Open Nominations: Bliss

Second: Esopus

Emily: Since there's no people currently tabled for positions, are there any nominations? Again, you can nominate anyone for any position as of now, but the positions with no one nominated are President, NCC, Secretary, Treasurer, and Historian.

Lenape: Nominate Abby from Lenape for President.

Bliss: Second.

Emily: Since she is not here, she automatically tables.

Any other nominations tonight? 3, 2, 1. Seeing none.

Since the Vice President election is next week, we will close nominations for that position. If there are people running for a position, we close nominations for that position the meeting before the election takes place to make sure everyone has a fair chance.

Motion to Close Vice President Nominations Until Spring 2023: Esopus

Second: Bliss

Motion to Table Nominations: Lenape

Second: Gage

Emily: As I said, Vice President materials are due tonight. If you are running for Vice President, please pass out your materials to the AC! The materials are in your folders. You should have gotten the candidate application and resume.

Next week, we will host the Vice President elections and the Treasurer application will be due next week as well. Just a reminder that you need 1 Candidate Form and 15 copies of the Candidate Application and resume or co-curricular transcript

Motion to Close New Business: Mohonk

Second: Lenape

UPCOMING EVENTS 9:25 PM

- Coffee House | Wednesday, March 2nd from 6:30pm - 8:30pm | SUB 100N

STUDENT CONCERN FOLLOW UP 9:26PM

Emily: In a previous meeting, there were concerns about dumpsters being overfilled. Has anyone noticed this to happen again since the snowstorm?

Gage: Yes.

Emily: Any other halls? If you do see it you can email us about that. A reason why they were overfilled so much was because of the snow storm. Due to hazard conditions, the garbage could not have been picked up but if that happens again, please let us know so we can communicate that to Residence Life and increase how often the trash is picked up. I'll definitely let them know about Gage's dumpsters specifically.

HALL CONCERNS 9:26 PM

Emily: If there's something wrong in your hall that you have already talked to your RAs, SRA, and RD about and nothing has been done, this is your time to tell us. 3. 2. 1. Seeing none.

Scudder, have you seen any improvements with the cleaning or do you know if another custodian was hired?

Scudder: It's fixed.

Emily: Great. If it changes again, let me know. Any other hall concerns? 3, 2, 1. Seeing none.

STUDENT CONCERNS 9:27 PM

Emily: If you have general concerns for things going on campus-wide (something's broken, wrong, administrative concerns, faculty concerns), this is your moment to tell us so we can relay the information to the administration. However, if you have any food concerns (type, quality, price, location), we will not hear them at this point. We will hear them on March 7th, but you can also email us at rhsa@newpaltz.edu. This is also the accessibility concerns meeting so if you have any accessibility concerns this is your time to bring it up.

Mohonk: There is that smell in the dining hall when you enter, usually later in the day. It's every day and smells very bad. It's just in the lobby and the stairs when you walk into the dining hall.

Esopus: It smells pretty similar to how it did when we had a sewer pipe break. It's sewage gas.

Mohonk: It's been like that the entire semester.

Emily: I'll definitely double check on that with CAS and whatnot. You said it was later in the afternoon? Okay. Any other student concerns?

Esopus: I don't know how talked about this has been, but the lack of elevators in certain halls and buildings across campus is an issue. I have a music professor in College Hall who had a temporary disability and her entire class had to be moved to a different room on the first floor because there is no way to get to the second floor if you can't walk up the stairs in College Hall. There are a couple of buildings like that, and the excuse that they make special accommodations when needed is not enough. There should be accessibility all the time, everywhere on campus, otherwise it's unfair.

Emily: I agree. I was talking to someone in administration about this and we just don't have the funds to renovate every building. But that's definitely something we should work toward so I'll bring that up again. Any buildings in particular or just all buildings?

Esopus: Any building without an elevator. I know specifically College hall, and Capen and Scudder are the two residence halls I know of. Bouton as well.

Emily: I'll definitely bring that up so they can create a plan for all buildings to be accessible in the future. Thank you for bringing that up.

Ashokan: In Ashokan hall there's a door in the basement that's supposed to open automatically when you swipe your card. For me, I don't have access and if I don't have access I would assume 10 or 15 more people don't have access. We do have members in the hall who do need accessibility, and for those of us who might get an injury we wouldn't have access to that door opening automatically and would have to do it ourselves. I want to see if that can be checked on to give access to all. I've seen a number of people be able to open it with their ID cards but I can't so a bunch of members in the hall can't open it for some reason.

Emily: Is this a door that leads to the outside?

Ashokan: Inside past the basement back entrance, to the right there's another door.

Emily: Thank you for clarifying. Do you know if anyone filled out a work order or told an RA?

Ashokan: No. I mentioned it a few times.

Emily: I'll check in with Sarah about that. Any other concerns?

Esopus: When the lights on campus break, they tend to strobe and that can be a concern for people with epilepsy because it makes campus hard to get around. Especially on the main pathways, I know someone who has epilepsy who has struggled to get around in the past.

Emily: Is it still the library in particular or is it more places?

Esopus: There are a couple lights by Wooster hall that are still strobing. When they're broken they just strobe for some reason.

Emily: Wooster by the quad or by the other academic buildings?

Esopus: The other side of Wooster.

Emily: Thank you. I just need to know so I can tell them which lights.

Lenape: This has been going on for a long time, but in our main lounge one of the ceiling lights flickers and a couple don't turn on at all. I did fill out a work order but I don't know where those go. That's an issue for people who may have epilepsy in our building.

Emily: I'll definitely check in on that. Thank you for letting me know.

Gage: Last Sunday morning when we got a lot of snow, it was like 5pm, after it had stopped snowing for 5 or 6 hours, and nothing had been done about the snow. That's an area where the stones in the path are already loose so it's really hazardous. Same out in front of Gage, they take a long time to shovel that. In addition to people who require accessibility aids in their day to day life, being the athletic hall we have a lot of people on crutches and with injuries, so it gets really complicated for them because our side doors have stairs so the main entrance is the only one they can use.

Allison: I talked to the Safety Committee about the snow and how it's a big accessibility issue. I've personally noticed too that there are places not done. Their main focus when it snows is taking into account all the students that have communicated to the college that they have accessibility needs. So they'll prioritize their routes to class and back to their halls. I don't know if so many spaces get left out *because* they're prioritizing those, but I will definitely bring it up again because it is just little pockets that get left and aren't done. But they did say to me that they prioritize the paths that these students will take so they can get to class, which might be why smaller areas get left.

Gage: This is the whole front entrance of the SUB though, where we have the MPR and food and study spaces.

Emily: We also have the number for facilities where you can call if you see anything, because it might take some time after we have a meeting like this until something can be done. The number for facilities is (845) 257-3301. If you call them and tell them where a patch of ice or unshoveled snow is they will prioritize that more. Hopefully that helps. And you can always feel free to email us as well when you see it.

Allison: I'll definitely bring it up again with safety committee, because I brought it up last time and I want to hammer home that this is something consistently being brought up.

Emily: Especially with residence halls because we live there. Thank you for bringing that up.

Ashokan: I have a student concern outside of Ashokan hall. I was quarantined in Awosting and my experience, and the experience of other people, was far from decent. For my roommate who was also quarantined, the entire toilet came out of the wall. For me, the sink started leaking. The water is lukewarm in the building. In terms of cleanliness, it's obvious that nobody checks when someone leaves. When I checked in, I found underwear and socks in a drawer. I found hair in the sink and drain. The drawers were also dirty. Covid stays on surfaces, so it's not safe and it's unclean, because in terms of cleaning supplies we don't have much to work with. With the leaky sink and broken toilet that came off the wall, there's no one to call after a certain time. When you do call, they can't do anything. I called utilities past a certain time and because there is no RA or RD they can't get in.

Emily: They should be holding to a better standard for students in quarantine, so I'll definitely check in on that because there are things they can do.

Gage: We had a resident in Gage who was quarantined in Awosting whose sink and shower water was brown and also was woken up by rats in his room.

Gage: My roommate didn't have heat the five days she was in there. She was the only one in isolation so they considered the building unused. Also there was no hot water.

Emily: Okay, there should definitely be a better standard for students who are in quarantine in accordance with the guidelines, so I'll check in on that.

Gage: I have a friend who has to use accessible entrances right now, and I'm wondering about the dining hall and accessibility because she has to exit by the back ramp but every time you open the door it sets off the fire alarm and draws a lot of attention.

Emily: I didn't know that. I'll check on that, because I know that's the only accessible entrance to Peregrine.

Esopus: I wasn't even aware there was an accessible entrance to Peregrine. I'm sure people with registered disabilities are informed, but just for people with chronic pain or if you twist your ankle it should be better known where the accessible entrances are for the community.

Emily: That's a good point, because it's not marked at all or shared with students. Thank you for sharing that. Any other concerns?

Bliss: The MyZone scanner at Peregrine is not working and people with Celiac aren't being able to work there.

Esopus: Peregrine has trouble correctly labeling when foods have certain allergens, which could seriously affect Celiacs.

Emily: So they're not labeling food with allergens correctly? I'll definitely ask about that.

Gage: I've noticed that at the beginning of last semester things were a lot more clearly labeled, even with the calories and with fine print and symbols. Now a lot of time there's nothing to let you know what's in food. Vegetarian stuff too, sometimes there are small pieces of chicken in food where you wouldn't know it.

Emily: Is this all over campus or just in Peregrine?

Gage: Just in Peregrine. The desserts lately don't have anything labeled. I remember last semester it would say if things were vegan or gluten free and now it doesn't list that. We know someone who is allergic to tree nuts who has consumed tree nuts in the dining hall a couple of times.

Emily: I'll communicate that straight to the dining hall to let them know.

Esopus: It's not only the dining hall food, but GrubHub has a lot of issues. For example, if you don't want bread on your sandwich for people with Celiac there is no option to get it without. You have to rely on them reading the special options, which they don't always do. If there even is a special instructions space, which there isn't consistently.

Lenape: There are some places on GrubHub that have pictures that don't match with the description. On the menu they'll have photos of something different than what you order.

Emily: That should definitely be fixable because I think they just have to recalibrate it or insert the correct photo, so I'll check in on that.

Lenape: For MyZone people, we do have a dietician back because I believe our dietician left a couple years ago. But, she's not on campus every day, so since she's the one who has to grant access to the MyZone room if she's not here we don't have access.

Bliss: The scanner to the room isn't working.

Emily: I'll check in on that to see if someone can be the liaison to students while she's not here. Thank you all for representing the students and letting us know. Any other student concerns? 3, 2, 1. Seeing none. If you have any more concerns feel free to email us.

OPEN FLOOR 9:48 PM

Emily: If you have a program, meeting, or any other announcement that you would like to share with the Associate Council, now is your time to share! Are there any open floors?

Gage: At 8pm on Wednesday one of our RAs is working with a Scudder RA to do a clothing swap in the Gage main lounge. If you want to come to that you can give away old clothes and get some new ones! You can find information on the @npgagehall instagram.

Esopus: The Drag Club has finally picked a date, time, and place for our first show of the semester. It's the first Friday back from spring break, March 25th. In SUB 100N. We've been working very hard so if you guys could come that would be great! It's at 8pm.

Lenape: The New Paltz Film Society is an up and coming club which has movie screenings every Sunday at 7pm in the Lecture Center!

Gage: The Black Student Union is having fashion show tryouts! If you're interested, it's March 7th in SUB 100N.

Bliss: Has anyone been to the New Paltz astronomy club? I went today and there was no one.

Ridgeview: When is that?

Bliss: 8pm on Mondays, but the John Kirk planetarium was closed.

Emily: Do you know who's part of it? I would email Raj in the physics department. I can give you his email after the meeting.

Allison: Also, if you ever need to get in contact with a club you can go on Engage and a lot of times they will have their current members and how to contact them.

Ashokan: Our hall's Scooby Doo movie night is next Thursday at 8pm! Bring your friends, because we've got Scooby Snacks and drinks. And dress up if you want.

Parker: If you want to be a Student Ambassador, you can still apply until this Friday. Then you'll go through group interviews in the next week. Also if you like Saskia and Sion and want to hang out with them all next year, that's a motivation to do it! Someone also made a point today to mention that student ambassadors are the ones to give tours on campus because maybe I didn't mention that. It is a paid position and one of the only requirements is that you have to live on campus. Me, Jaden, Sion, and Saskia all do it so if you have any questions feel free to ask us. If you have any questions about the application, I'm in charge of it so ask me. We also have CREW, which Jaden can talk about.

Lenape: If you're interested in doing CREW, if you want to get involved or become a Student Ambassador, this is a great opportunity to give tours. This is a volunteer opportunity, and if you don't want to give tours we'll also need people to help direct parking. I was the parking director last time and it was a lot of fun! We have our fliers that we'll be posting up here. CREW training will take place this week. If you're interested you must attend at least one training. We have Tuesday, March 1st from 5pm - 6:30pm in SUB 401, Wednesday, March 2nd from 7pm - 8:30pm in SUB 409, and Tuesday, March 8th from 5pm - 6:30pm in SUB 401. If you have any questions you can contact Jaden or Alyssa.

Parker: You can also go to Instagram, @newpaltzambassadors, for that information as well, and if you go to that Instagram you can see a really funny TikTok that Saskia and I are in.

Chet: The candidacy forms for Student Association positions are currently open. You should be able to find them on our Engage as well as our Instagram. All of our seats are open, every EBoard position and every Senate seat. If you're interested in being involved in Student Association, make sure to sign up. Those close March 7th so make sure to get to them soon.

Emily: Reminder to fill out the survey for the presidential candidate if you went to the student open forum or anything they were at! Your voice and opinions matter and you should have a say in who the next president will be! So if you haven't already, please fill that out. Any other open floors? 3, 2, 1. Seeing none.

PASSING OF MOLLY THE MOOSE 9:54 PM

Emily: Where's my moose?! Gage, what did you put on Molly?

Gage: She has a flower to offer everyone for Valentine's Day! We'd like to give her to Esopus.
PASS THE MOOSE!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK 9:55 PM

Parker: "We're all trying to get better / And we've all had quite enough / Of this pleasant displeasure / But people don't change people, time does" -The Wombats

ADJOURNMENT 9:55 PM

Motion to Adjourn the Meeting: Bliss
Second: Lenape

Next meeting will be in SUB409!



