

RESIDENCE HALL STUDENT ASSOCIATION
ASSOCIATE COUNCIL MEETING

Date: 11/22/21

Location: SUB409

CALL TO ORDER 9:07 PM

Emily: Hey everyone! We're going to get started with the meeting!

MYSTERY ACTIVITY 9:07 PM

Emily: It's about drive, it's about power. We stay hungry, we devour- Coca-Cola products! If y'all would like some Coca-Cola products, come get some! If not, that's totally cool and I will not be offended in the slightest. We have more up here, so if you get thirsty during the election feel free to come up during the break.

ROLL CALL/HALL REPORTS 9:08 PM

Saskia: Hi everybody! So when I call your hall, if you can give me the number of people representing your hall, how many RHSA shirts you have on, how many NRHH shirts you have on, how many Conference shirts you have on, and a hall report from your hall gov if you have one.

Hall Name	Number Present	RHSA Shirts	NRHH Shirts	Conference Shirts	Hall Report
Ashokan	1	0	0	0	Held a successful program last Thursday.
Bliss	2	2	0	0	Nothing to report.
Bouton	0	0	0	0	None.
Capen	1	0	0	0	Currently planning an event.
College-Shango	0	0	0	0	None.
Esopus	0	0	0	0	None.
Gage	1	0	0	0	Held a successful WebEx event with Professor Meg Devlin which had high attendance, and there is a Sex Ed Kahoot coming up- the date has to change, probably to December 3rd, but we will keep you all updated.
Lenape	2	2	0	0	Chilling.
Minnewaska	1	0	0	0	Pizza social event being held right now!
Mohonk	0	0	0	0	None.

Ridgeview	2	0	0	0	Nothing to report.
Scudder	2	0	0	0	Currently planning last events, and celebrated hall gov appreciation day!
Shawangunk	0	0	0	0	None.

SENATE 9:11 PM

Chet: Our last meeting, the Senate was not able to reach quorum and therefore we could not conduct business. However, that is not stopping us from going forward and planning for next semester. Our last meeting for this semester is going to be December 3rd, on Friday, at 3:30 in SUB 6263. As always, if you're interested in what we're working on and trying to do, come on by! Keep checking your emails because there should be a survey coming out soon about transportation on campus. Our contract with UCAT is coming up. We've extended it so we can negotiate our contract and make sure it's really helping students, being more useful than it is now. So if you see that survey come out, please fill it out and say the things that will make it better so we can get it in our contract.

NRHH 9:12 PM

Eric: Currently for NRHH we're taking applications, so if anyone's interested I'll gladly take your email. We'll send you an email with all the information. Applications are currently rolling this semester so we'll be taking them throughout the rest of the semester. If you have any last minute idea that you'd like to apply, I'll gladly take it. Other than that, we'll be planning for the rest of the semester.

OLD BUSINESS 9:12 PM

Motion to Open Old Business: Gage
Second: Lenape

CCC

Ethan: Reminder that after you have a program, you can fill out a PUP Sheet and turn it into us! You can either email us a filled out copy or turn one in to any one of us during our office hours! Here is a link to the PUP Sheet you can fill out:

<https://tinyurl.com/PUPSheet>

The PUP sheet totals are scarce, so if you have PUP sheets turn them in!

Emily: For those who don't know, whoever has the most GFPs, which is basically our points system, wins hall of the semester and you get a little prize. That is coming up soon, so if y'all are very competitive this is a great way to get that competitiveness out!

Historian

Allison: I have the results from our Facebook riddle in the minutes challenge! Can I get a Moose Clap? In first place is Lenape hall! If you want to place in this, please respond to the riddle in the minutes.

Secretary

Saskia: So if you didn't see, the riddle in last week's AC minutes was "Who was the Secretary of RHSA during the last academic year (2020-21)?" This was a fun little question, because the answer is our President Emily, who used to have my job! Once again, congrats to the hall that answered that riddle. I'm going to be putting one of those in every single AC meeting for the rest of the year so keep an eye out for that when they go up in the email blast or on the Facebook, and answer the riddle on our Facebook page to earn GFPs and maybe win hall of the semester!

Condom Casino

Logan: Condom Casino was so much fun! First we have to thank all of our volunteers that helped us, but also we have to thank everyone who came. Condom Casino is usually our biggest program of the year and it was better than we could have imagined in this strange time. It was a super fun time and the organization looks forward to putting it on next year as well.

Emily: We did order latex free condoms and we just did not check that we had the box, but we are ordering more so we are going to disperse some of those around the halls just to make sure it's accessible to everyone. Again, so sorry for not realizing that until last minute but we are working to fix it.

Motion to Close Old Business: Lenape

Second: Bliss

NEW BUSINESS 9:15 PM

Motion to Open New Business: Scudder

Second: Ridgeview

AC Retreat

Saskia: Once again, we're getting closer to the end of the semester and after we come back from break on Saturday, December 4th, we are hosting an AC Retreat for you guys to celebrate how much hard work you've put in, especially going through elections and stuff. It's going to be a really fun event! It's going to be Wii Sports Resort themed, so we're going to have Wii Sports in real life, some video games, some crafts, and food. It's going to be from 1:00pm to 4:00pm in SUB 100N, again that's Saturday, December 4th, so stop by! It's going to be fun and relaxing, we're not going to make you do any motions or anything. You can just come, hang out with us, and have a good time!

Scudder: Is the event only for us or is anyone welcome?

Emily: Typically it's only for AC members. Usually we go off campus to somewhere like Six Flags, but since we don't have the budget for it and we're staying on campus, invite all your hall gov members! Y'all go through so much work and I really appreciate all of it, as I'm sure do the rest of the EBoard. Any other questions, comments, or concerns?

Banquet

Madison: I'm so excited, and I hope you are excited, for banquet! If you came to NPLC banquet or you know somebody who did, this is going to be more fun! It's going to be Monday, December 6th at 8 pm in the MPR and it's going to be Renaissance Faire themed! You better believe I bought two dresses already. I cannot wait to see what everyone else wears. Free food- I mean, do I have to say anything else? I'm so excited and I hope you guys are excited too. *What does the acronym "PUP" in PUP sheets stand for?*

Emily: Just to clarify, this is an AC Meeting. It's just going to be our last AC Meeting so we're ending off with a bang. We're getting everyone Pasquales. Y'all better dress up- but if you can't, totally understandable. We will also be announcing hall of the semester as well as EBoard Choice awards and Liaison of the Semester at banquet. Y'all better get hyped for it. And your whole hall gov should come- everyone in the hall should come!

Madison: Everyone in the world should come!

Scudder: Our last meeting, since we're reading off the hall that won, when will the PUP sheets be due? When do you need them?

Emily: The Wednesday before. December 1st. Any other questions, comments, or concerns?

Ten Minute Break

Emily: In everyone's folder you received the candidate's application, which includes their resume as well as the questions they were asked to see what they would want to do on the RHSA EBoard. If y'all are curious about that, feel free to look. We're going to take a 10 minute break, so everyone please be back here at 9:30.

Election

Emily: We are about to begin our election. That means from this point until the end of our election tonight, no one who leaves the room can re-enter because we don't want information getting out to the candidate.

Allison: You can leave if there's an emergency, you just can't get back in.

Emily: There should be no verbal communication anywhere in this room, and no technology. If you are seen using a phone, laptop, etc you will be asked to leave the room until the end of the election. We will have Ethan in the back of the room watching for tech. These can be discussion points or questions for Q&A. During elections there will be a 3 minutes speech, there will be 5 minute Q&A extendable up to 3 times followed by the rest of the candidates. After all candidates, we will have a 5 minutes discussion period extendable up to 3 times.

I'll now ask all candidates to stand up. Y'all can head out with Logan. We will be using the speakers list during the election. For example, if this is Lenape's second point and Scudder's first point Scudder will go first and then Lenape will go, because it makes it more equal to make sure we're hearing all of the halls. Now Allison will list the responsibilities of Vice President.

Allison:

- A. The Vice President shall serve as Acting President in the event that the President is unavailable or the position is vacant as per Article Six Section 2.A.1 of this Constitution;
- B. Attend all President's Cabinet Meetings;
- C. Works closely with the Student Activities and Union Services (SAUS);

- D. Contracts all campus venues using the Facilities Use for Scheduled Event (FUSE) form;
 - 1. Attends all individual/group event consultation for all events ;
- E. Contracts all security and crew for events with SAUS;
- F. Contracts transportation needed for off campus events;
- G. Contracts catering for events as needed;
- H. Books, coordinates and plans both the Fall Associate Council Retreat and Spring Associate Council Retreat;
- I. Maintains and organizes all information needed for events on and off campus;
- J. Prepares and disburses evaluations for large programs (i.e. Spirit Weekend, Condom Casino etc.);
- K. Prepares and facilitates scoring for large programs (i.e. Spirit Weekend, etc.).

Emily: Knowing the responsibilities of Vice President, we will now have 5 minutes to list expectations you have for your Vice President.

Expectations:

Good chemistry with the rest of the EBoard
 Attends all meetings
 Open communication with the rest of hall government
 Good time management
 Great amount of energy
 Patience
 Understanding of forms used as VP
 Active listening
 Creative
 Cooperative
 Must be able to sub in for President is necessary
 Able to act on short notice
 Open to compromise
 Punctual
 Passionate about RHSA

Move to exhaust speaker's list with additions: Scudder
 Second: Gage

Candidate 1:

Parker: Hello everyone! My name is Parker Alber, my pronouns are he/him/his, and I am running for Vice President. In my time so far at New Paltz, I have served on Shawangunk Hall Government, as well as acted as an RA Liaison to Ridgeview Hall Government this semester. When I served on Shawangunk Hall Gov in the 2019-2020 school year, I was an Associate Council Representative, and absolutely fell in love with Hall Gov and RHSA. I had planned to run for PR Officer in Spring 2020, but when everything moved online due to COVID, I withdrew myself from the running and have regretted it since. I knew that RHSA E-Board was an experience I wanted to have, and this year I fell in love with Hall Government again and knew I needed to try again for E-Board.

You might be wondering why I have chosen to run for Vice President; it is because I have noticed a need for RHSA to reinsert itself as the advocacy organization that we are on this campus. Many clubs and organizations took a hit from COVID and are facing low numbers, and I believe that a strong push for student advocacy can help us with recruitment. In my experience this semester as a Resident Assistant and last year as a Community Mentor, I have noticed a lot of frustration from students in regards to feeling unseen and unheard by administration with their concerns, and not knowing where to turn. I want every single resident of this campus to not only know that RHSA is here for them, but to know exactly what that means. I want to keep communication open between the E-Board and students who come to us looking for help by providing a weekly update on our progress with their requests.

Some of the duties of the Vice President include organizing all of the behind the scenes of programming; organizing vendors, contracting venues, coordinating transportation for off campus events, and organizing all of the information needed for said programs. This work I have experience with from my time working in Residence Life, and I have lots of experience with professional emails and phone calls from working with Admissions. I am very organized and keep my email organized as well, replying to emails the required response usually the same day, but definitely within 24 hours. I have lots of experience working both individually and on a team, and would be able to collaborate with my fellow Eboard, but also know the boundaries of what is appropriate for collaboration and what is individual responsibility. I have a lot of passion for RHSA and programming, and plan for an amazing semester if elected. With that, I yield to questions.

Q&A

In your resume it says there are some things you've personally noticed in terms of campus accessibility. What are some of those things?

Parker: The biggest thing I've noticed in terms of accessibility- and this is very specific- is the laundry room door in Ridgeview. You have to plant your feet and pull with all of your might to open that door. There is an accessibility sticker on the door if someone in a wheelchair did need to open it, except it does not work. We have tried to get it fixed. There's a lot of accessibility buttons on campus that also don't work that I've noticed while giving tours and pressing them. I know people report it and still nothing happens, so in terms of that those are things that could be fixed.

Do you feel that if you formed the ability to work with the other members of student government, how do you plan to apply that to your position of Vice President?

Parker: One way I would like to apply that is that despite reaching out to whoever whether that's various hall govs or organizations on campus, working through admissions and over the summer working at the Welcome Center I noticed a lot of departments around campus like to dodge emails, so I've gotten very comfortable over the phone, calling people to say "This is what we need, what can we do" and then sticking with that phone call or making multiple follow ups at an appropriate time to make sure those needs and concerns are met. I don't really take no for an answer when it comes to advocating for others or needing to get things done, so I would plan to keep going with that and push things as far as I can if they need to be.

Could you name one of your majors strengths and one of your weaknesses?

Parker: My major strengths are organizations and time management. I'm going to try to avoid making an astrology joke but I might go for it anyways- I'm a Virgo moon if anyone knows what that means. Apparently that means I'm organized. One of my weaknesses, actually, is how obsessively organized I can be, to the point that my folders have folders and then those have sub folders and those have sub folders. So sometimes things can get a little bit lost, but I can always find them.

Who did you talk to to prepare for this position?

Parker: I talked to the Vice President last year, Serena, and then also the Vice President the year before, Sarah. Both of them actually said the same which was almost worded exactly the same. They both said there is a lot of responsibility that comes with being Vice President and that it is important to have a boundary of knowing what is work you can do individually but then what is stuff to rely on the rest of the EBoard for, to know that they're there, and to use them for any extra assistance needed.

Do you believe you have great chemistry with the rest of the EBoard here?

Parker: I do! I've known Emily, Madison, and Allison since my first semester here. Myself, Allison, and Madison were all on Shawangunk hall gov together. Emily and I went to a leadership conference together that same semester. I met Saskia this year because we're both student ambassadors together. I also knew Logan my first year, and we were in RHSA together that year and we both live in Ridgeview now. Ethan I also met this year because he lives in Ridgeview as well. So I would say I do have pretty good history as well as chemistry with everyone on this EBoard.

Do you have any programming ideas or initiatives you would like to work on if you were elected as VP?

Motion to extend by 5 minutes: Scudder

Second: Ridgeview

Parker: I would love to do a lot of different diversity, equity, and inclusion programs. Also collaborating with different organizations based on the type of programming we would like to do. I believe February is Black History Month, so collaborating with the Black Student Union or the Black Studies department and doing a program that celebrates and highlights that because myself and the current EBoard, none of us are black, so I do not believe we would be best served to put on that program by ourselves. I think using RHSA's funding and recognizability as an organization in collaboration with other well known organizations we could put on a program to represent a lot of different students.

Was there anything you didn't get to add to your original speech you would like to add now?

Parker: There is one thing I forgot. I kind of touched on it, but I've noticed a lot of frustration from a lot of residents when it comes to the need for advocacy. Even just living in Ridgeview, we have the Rivera house community there and I know a lot of them have noticed things that feel discriminatory towards them and don't know who to go to or what to do. Sometimes as RAs we hit certain blocks in terms of what we can and can't do. I think addressing that frustration and then actually being able to alleviate that frustration is something I would love to do.

Could you elaborate more on how you would like to fix the advocacy issues you were just talking about?

Parker: First, I would start with some of my own initiatives like fixing accessibility and mobility on campus, as well as some LGBT related concerns I've heard from residents in

Ridgeview. I also had the idea of tabling simply for advocacy, getting a table somewhere in the SUB or down where the farmers' market is on academic row and putting up a sign on the table that says "Do you have any concerns? Come talk to us!". I know in the past RHSA has put up flyers with a QR code in every residence hall and while I think that is effective, it doesn't feel as personal as actually having a conversation face to face. So being able to get not only student concerns face to face but also a contact with that student could help with that advocacy process.

Motion to exhaust speaker's list without additions: Lenape
Second: Ridgeview

Motion to open discussion: Gage
Second: Bliss

Discussion

Emily: We're going to go into a period of discussion. You can raise your placard but you won't be called on yet you'll be put on the speakers list and then you'll be called from there. Also, you can't utilize outside information. We can talk about how Parker worked and wouldn't take no for an answer when advocating for students, but you can't use personal experience. We'll begin with the first placard raised.

- He seems very organized, which is something we're looking for.
- Parker demonstrated a lot of enthusiasm for the position.
- We like how he focused on advocacy and trying to connect the whole student body with RHSA. As part of RHSA, we don't think about how other students don't have that opportunity and some people don't even know we exist so we like that he mentioned bringing RHSA to more people.
- Since he knows everybody on the board, it seems like he's going to be very cooperative with everybody.
- Going through the expectations we created, we feel like Parker hit all of them.
- The resume is very impressive. His experience is in areas that would all help with this role on the EBoard.
- He seems like he really cares about the position.
- We appreciate that he seems to have a very well thought out plan of what he would like to do, should he get into office.
- Even with the weakness he mentioned in the Q&A, it seems like he can turn that weakness into a strength and we believe that is a very valuable asset for this candidate.

Motion to exhaust speaker's list with additions: Scudder
Second: Minnewaska

Emily: If you have any additions, we will take a moment for those now. 3, 2, 1. Seeing none.

Move to open voting by secret ballot: Collango
Second: Bliss

Emily: I'm going to put your voting options on screen. If you're voting for Parker Alber it means you think he would be a great candidate for Vice President. No Confidence means you do not believe any of the candidates are fit for this position. Abstain is if you had any biases for or against Parker so you will not vote. Only two people can vote per hall.

Lenape: Can liaisons vote too?

Emily: Yes, if you're representing your hall.

Votes:

Parker Alber: 11

No confidence: 0

Abstain: 0

Emily: Congratulations to Parker, our new Vice President!

Motion to Close New Business: Bliss

Second: Lenape

UPCOMING EVENTS 10:04 PM

- AC Retreat | Saturday, December 4th | 1:00pm - 4:00pm | SUB 100N
- Banquet | Monday, December 6th | 8pm - 10pm | SUB MPR

HALL CONCERNS 10:04 PM

Emily: If there's something wrong in your hall that you have already talked to your RAs, SRA, and RD about and nothing has been done, this is your time to tell us. Are there any hall concerns?

Gage: There are two womens' bathrooms on the second floor. In the bigger one, the third showers- we've talked to our RA and it was temporarily fixed- but the water does not drain in that third stall. I think they put a mop out once but the mop's not there anymore so it's unusable because it is a very high amount of water you would be standing in. To specify, it's the floor tile, not the actual shower.

Emily: If you're looking at the showers, is it on the right or the left?

Gage: On the left.

Emily: I'll definitely check in on that for you.

Lenape: In the Lenape main lounge, one of the lights flickers. Actually, two of them flicker.

Emily: Is it just one specific light, or all of the lights in general?

Lenape: It's two of them, diagonal from each other.

Emily: I'll check in on that for you. Are there any other hall concerns? 3, 2, 1. Seeing none.

STUDENT CONCERNS 10:06 PM

Emily: If you have general concerns for things going on campus-wide (something's broken, wrong, administrative concerns, faculty concerns), this is your moment to tell us so we can relay the information to the administration. However, if you have any food concerns (type, quality, price, location), we will not hear them at this point but you can email us at rhsa@hawkmall.newpaltz.edu.

Gage: Why do so many of the street lights strobe? It makes me nervous.

Emily: Is there one in particular you're thinking of?

Gage: It's near the art building and the library. It makes me dizzy. There's like four of them.

Ethan: Second.

Gage: For people with epilepsy, it's a concern too.

Emily: I will definitely contact facilities about that and see what they can do. Any other student concerns? 3, 2, 1. Seeing none.

OPEN FLOOR 10:08 PM

Emily: If you have a program, meeting, or any other announcement that you would like to share with the Associate Council, now is your time to share! Are there any open floors?

Logan: I need y'all to look at Parker's temporary placard! He made it in 10 seconds, it looks great.

Emily: Look at you go, Art Major! Any other open floors? 3, 2, 1. Seeing none.

PASSING OF MOLLY THE MOOSE 10:08 PM

Emily: Where's my moose?

Minnewaska: We gave her a condom! Scudder get's Molly!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK 10:09 PM

Madison: "Promise me you'll always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Winnie the Pooh

ADJOURNMENT 10:09 PM

Motion to Adjourn the Meeting: Bliss

Second: Collango

Next meeting will be in SUB409!



