

RESIDENCE HALL STUDENT ASSOCIATION
ASSOCIATE COUNCIL MEETING

Date: 9/7/2020

Location: Zoom

CALL TO ORDER | 9:01PM

Matt: Hello everyone! I am going to call the meeting to order. It is 9:01pm. We have plenty of people here, more will keep joining.

MYSTERY ACTIVITY | 9:02PM

Matt: Hello everyone. What I thought we'd do is play a lovely video for you all to get us started about who we are. We're going to play our national conference videos.¹

Matt: I hope everyone enjoyed that brief look at conference. I know some of you may know who I am, but for others I would like to formally introduce myself. Hi I'm Matthew Kreuz, you can call me Matt. I am the President of the Residence Hall Student Association. I go by he/him/his pronouns. My role as President is to work with administration and handle student concerns while being a bridge between students and the administration. I would now like to ask my Vice President to introduce themselves.

Serena: Hi I'm Serena. I'm the Vice President. I go by she/her/hers pronouns. I am basically the main source of contact for all event related things and to take Matt's place if he's ever in a situation where that needs.

Jess: Hello y'all! I'm Jess, Jessica Jewel. I am the Treasurer. I go by she/her/hers pronouns and I manage all things money. My main job is to maintain the budget.

Emily: Hi y'all! I'm Emily. My pronouns are she/her/hers and I'm the Secretary of RHSA. My duties include writing the minutes for these meetings. I also send out the minutes to the A.C. through the A.C. Email Blast. You guys can fill out this form right here:

<https://forms.gle/NydXai3GdPg2GgB69> that way you can stay updated with all things with RHSA. Thank you!

Jordann M.: My name is Jordann. I'm the PR. I go by she/her/hers. My roles include making posters and visuals for all our events and meetings.

Callie: Hi everyone! I'm Callie. I'm the NCC, which stands for National Communication Coordinator. The conference videos that you just watched, I'm in charge of picking a delegation to go to those conferences, planning things we're going to submit to them, talking to the Regional Board of Directors which is directly over us that connect the whole Northeast. My pronouns are she/her/hers, didn't say that.

Jordan H.: Good evening everyone. My name is Jordan Hennix. I'm the Campus Communications Coordinator, or CCC for short. My responsibility is connecting various organizations to RHSA as well as keeping in contact with some of you guys, the RA Liaisons, and being your main resource with anything RHSA related. I use he/him pronouns if I didn't say that.

Cassandra: Hi everyone! I'm Cassandra. My pronouns are she/her/hers. I'm the Historian this year and I run the social media, the website, and take fun photos at the events. To stay updated on events and challenges we do, follow our instagram and I'll put the handle in the chat.²

¹ We watched the NACURH Conference videos which can be found if you click [here](#) and [here](#).

² The RHSA Instagram handle is NPRHSA.

ROLL CALL/HALL REPORTS | 9:12PM

Emily: We take attendance at all of our meetings and we call them Roll Call and Hall Reports. When I call your hall name, say how many representatives are present, if you're wearing an NRHH shirt, an RHSA shirt, or a Conference shirt. You also typically give a Hall Report, that means whatever you did at your last meeting. However we didn't have any meetings yet so you can say nothing to report, when your elections are, your G.I. and all that stuff.

Hall Name	Number Present	RHSA Shirts	NRHH Shirts	Conference Shirts	Hall Report
Ashokan	0	0	0	0	None.
Bliss	2	0	0	0	The G.I. is tomorrow and elections are Thursday at 5:00pm.
Bouton	1	0	0	1	We're having our G.I. tomorrow and our elections Sunday at 7:00pm.
Capen	1	0	0	0	We're having elections later this week.
College-Shango	1	0	0	0	We're having our GI on Thursday.
Esopus	1	0	0	0	We had our G.I. last week and it was fire.
Gage	1	0	0	0	We have our G.I. Meeting on Wednesday and we'll have elections based on what people's availability is at the G.I.
Lenape	3	1	0	0	We'll be planning our G.I. meeting soon.
Minnewaska	0	0	0	0	None.
Mohonk	1	1	0	0	Our G.I. is this Friday at 7:00pm.
Ridgeview	1	1	0	0	None.
Scudder	1	1	0	0	The G.I. is to be determined.
Shawangunk	2	0	0	0	Our G.I. Meeting is on Tuesday.

SENATE | 9:17PM

Matt: Hey everyone, at this point in the meeting we have members from other large organizations on campus give an update on what they are doing. We always have a spot for the Student Association and NRHH. I'm going to be reading the Senate report. Voting on Engage begins on September 14 and it ends September 17. Students will be able to vote for the Executive Board Representatives and the Student Senate as well as some constitutional change so be on the lookout for that.

NRHH | 9:18PM

Gigi: For those of you who don't know me, I'm Gigi. I'm the NRHH Representative. I work with Callie to plan out conferences and I'm the connection between both organizations! NRHH is RHSA's sister organization and our values are recognition and service. I have no NRHH updates as of now!

OLD BUSINESS | 9:18PM

Motion to Open: Ridgeview

Second: Lenape

NCC

Callie: As the NCC, I'm the parliamentarian of the organization and as such I help enforce parliamentary procedure, which is called parli pro for short. I do see some familiar faces so I know a couple of you know how to do this, which is really exciting. In a normal semester there would be placards with info on it regarding parli pro, which we call Robert's Rules, but this semester I have a pdf of tips and tricks on how to participate fully and appropriately during these meetings and sound fancy and cool and fun doing it!³ We're going to send it out and show it later on because we're going to explain parli pro a couple of times. For example, if Matt asks for a motion to close new business, somebody would drop an x in the chat and when called on would say "_____ moves to close new business." The blank spot would be whatever hall you're from. For example, I live in Ashokan so I would say Ashokan moves to close new business. Once that happens, someone would second. That's a little bit on how that works so when Matt asks for a motion, you can drop an x in the chat you would say whatever hall and then you would say "_____ moves to close/open new business." If you have any questions, feel free to message me or to ask throughout the meeting.

Treasurer

Jess: Hey y'all! In order to have your Hall Gov elections, you're going to have to fill out the form to schedule your Hall Gov elections so an Executive Board member, like one of us, can be there to help facilitate the election of your next Hall Gov!⁴ Currently there's four positions available, it's a little different this year if you've been in Hall Gov last year. There's the Programming Coordinator, Communications Coordinator, A.C. Representative, and Floor Representative. The CCC, Jordan H., is going to email you if he hasn't already. There's an announcement on Microsoft Teams so you can see more information about the positions there.

Campus Communications Coordinator (CCC):

Jordan H.: I'm going to go over what your positions entail for a brief moment. Before I get into that, if you guys have not received the email I sent to your RD's, please reach out to me after the meeting. RA Liaisons are the bridge between Hall Governments, your RA staff, and your respective halls. With RA Liaisons, you guys help Hall Governments with advertising, programming, and community building. As an RA Liaison you are a resource, so they will be looking towards you guys for guidance, especially since you guys are established student leaders.

³ You can view the Robert's Rule Cheat Sheet by clicking this [link](#).

⁴ To fill out the form to schedule when your elections are, please click this [link](#).

Some advice is always advise, not supervise; meaning, point them in the right direction and observe their decision making. If something were to go wrong, you guys are the mediator to keep things on track. After this meeting, I will be emailing all of you the form that Jess just mentioned so we can pinpoint exactly who can go to your elections as well as your G.I.'s. I heard that some of you already had them so fill it out so we know if you already had it or not. After this meeting, I will be establishing a form of communication with all RA Liaisons through GroupMe as well as Microsoft Teams.

Historian

Cassandra: Soon we will announce social media challenges that we're going to have this year. They are opportunities for Hall Governments to earn Good Fellowship Points for their hall. These challenges will be things such as TikTok of the Month, Creative Photo of the Month, and various trivia and other types of challenges through Facebook or Instagram! That is all.

Public Relations Officer:

Jordann M.: Hello! This semester it will be a little bit different from past semesters. We will mostly be advertising virtually. As mentioned before, we have a Facebook and an Instagram. The Instagram handle is NPRHSA and the Facebook is @rhsa.newpaltz. We'll be doing mostly virtual advertising like I said but we'll be posting QR codes, links, Meeting ID codes, or whatever platform we're meeting on for the events. Make sure to turn on post notifications for both platforms to keep up with everything that we're doing!

Motion to Close: Lenape

Second: Scudder

NEW BUSINESS | 9:24PM

Motion to Open: Lenape

Second: Mohonk

Schedule of Events:

Serena: Roughly these are the dates for our events this semester. These are the four Buzz's and we already had one, which was our Tie Dye event. October 2 will be our Hot Seat event, October 16 will be our Bubbles event, and November 6 will be our Escape Room event. Condom Casino and Spirit Week, which we usually have in the fall, are going to be moved to the spring semester. If anyone has any questions, you can reach out.

Hot Seat Buzz:

Callie: You're so awesome at parli pro already, I'm so proud! Our first Buzz event of the semester is Hot Seat. You can ask and get all of your burning questions answered, make some new friends, and just have a good time. *What's the name of our moose that we pass around every week?* We are so excited to hear all of the fun questions you have for us and can't wait to see you all there! If you have any questions or concerns, email us or DM us on Instagram.

Motion to Close: Mohonk

Second: Ridgeview

UPCOMING EVENTS | 9:27PM

- Hot Seat Buzz (Friday, October 2 from 7:30pm-9:00pm on Zoom)

HALL CONCERNS | 9:27PM

Matt: If there's something wrong in your hall that you have already talked to your RAs, SRA, and RD about and nothing has been done, this is your time to tell us. Do we have any hall concerns? 3. 2. 1. Seeing none

STUDENT CONCERNS | 9:28PM

Matt: If you have any general concerns for things going on campus wide, something's wrong, broken, or could be improved, this is your moment to tell us so we can bring the information to administration. However if you have any food concerns, type, quality, price, location, etc. we will not hear them right now, but you can email us at rhsa@hawkmail.newpaltz.edu. You can also fill out this Google form for both Hall and Student Concerns:

<https://forms.gle/j7qrziK2aWq9guyt5>.

Lenape: This is a serious concern because a lot of students have been talking about this and I understand it may be hard to address, but in regards to the large presence of bees on campus, in particular dining areas outside the Atrium and Peregrine. It's almost impossible to sit down and have a meal outside in those areas without being dsitrubed or feeling endangered by the bees. Is there any way to address that with more cleaning in those areas or more garbage cans or spraying the area in any way?

Matt: I'll reach out to dining services as well as the sustainability network on what they could do. Also, if you could specify if there's any specific areas around buildings that there's a higher concentration, that could always help. I could also check if cleaning staff are taking out the garbage regularly, which I believe they are. I don't know if the E-Board or advisors have anything else to add but I could reach out to those services to see what they could potentially do.

Lenape: As an example, there's one garbage can outside the outdoor seating area in front of the Atrium and multiple times it has been fully overflowing and swarmed with bees.

I'll probably fill out the form as well.

Matt: Are there any other student concerns?

Ridgeview: This isn't about food specifically, but it's about a social distancing concern. Whenever I get dinner at the SUB around 6:30pm/7:00pm, it is swamped with people. It's crowded, no one is social distancing. It's happened to me a few times and I don't think it's very safe. I was wondering if there's something we could do about the Grubhub system or something because it gets so backed up and there's a crowd of 50-100 people in that small space and it's not good.

Matt: This is the SUB? Could I ask where in the SUB? Is it the Pomodoro's/Nester's area or SubConnection?

Ridgeview: It's by the Pomodoro's and Nester's. Subconnection, that area is never crowded to my knowledge.

Matt: I could CC Kevin Dicey on that. There's not a whole lot I can think we can do if people are ignoring the signage on the ground, but that is something I can still ask about

and see if we can have more enforcement on that. I don't know if the advisors or E-Board have anything on that, but I can ask about making sure it's clear the signage is there or have Grubhub notification that you have to follow signage at those locations if you're on campus. They posted on Instagram to order before 6:00pm to avoid the rush. Again, I know it's not the most ideal system that you have to order it at different times. I will still follow up, but if you can avoid it, that might be your best bet. I will still follow up because not everyone has that opportunity.

Matt: Are there any other student concerns? 3. 2. 1. I'm seeing none. Always feel free to reach out to, email, or you can always contact us in any way, shape, or form you wish. We also have the forms that are available.

OPEN FLOOR | 9:33PM

Matt: If you have a program, meeting or any other announcement that you would like to share with the Associate Council, now is your time to share by typing an x in chat. If you would like your Hall Gov programs and events to be advertised on the Hall Government Google Calendar, please fill out the following Google Form: <https://forms.gle/LrwXyzJfyvX8SXby5>. If you want, you can list your elections there, but we already have the other form so focus on that one. Are there any open floors?

Lenape: What I wanted to ask is in regards to the links that were shared in the chat. Are these all on SharePoint as well that we have access to?

Matt: I'm not sure if they are on Sharepoint. Emily, do you know if they're on Sharepoint?

Emily: No but we can make them available on Sharepoint and through the minutes that we send out.

Jordan H.: I'm not sure if Callie went over this in parli pro, but something when doing parli pro and motions that people in the A.C. can do in the future where your name is, if you can put what hall your from it would makes things much easier because throughout the meeting we had to say your names and that goes again Robert's Rules. Do you guys know how to change your names? If not, we can show you guys how later.

Callie: Also in regards to adding your hall to it, it would be really cool if you're comfortable if you add your pronouns to it. If you're comfortable doing that, you should totally do that too! It would be really cool if you add your pronouns to that too!

Matt: Are there any other open floors? 3. 2. 1. Seeing none

PASSING OF MOLLY THE MOOSE | 9:35PM

Matt: Who's got Molly?

Serena: I have Molly!

Matt: Who are you passing Molly to?

Serena: Scudder!

Matt: Scudder hall, congratulations! You have Molly! After the meeting, Serena is going to send you a picture of virtual Molly where you get to put something on Molly, send it back to us next week at this meeting, and pass it to a hall of your choice. All that we ask is that something appropriate and you send it to us private just to make sure it's nothing inappropriate, and then you can pass it off to whoever you want.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK | 9:36PM

Matt: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

ADJOURNMENT | 9:37PM

Motion to Adjourn the Meeting: Ridgeview

Second: Jordan H.

Next meeting will be on Zoom!

