

**RESIDENCE HALL STUDENT ASSOCIATION  
ASSOCIATE COUNCIL MEETING**

Date: 11/05

Location: Deyo Hall

CALL TO ORDER 9:06 PM

MYSTERY ACTIVITY 9:06 PM

Happy E-Board Appreciation Day!!!

Sam: I appreciate you all so much!

ROLL CALL/HALL REPORTS 9:08 PM

HALL NAME	NUMBER PRESENT	SHIRTS	CONFERENCE SHIRTS	HALL REPORT
BEVIER	1	1	0	Cancelled meeting
BLISS	2	0	0	Had bonding and talked about program ideas
BOUTON	3	3	0	Discussed new programs
CAPEN	1	1	0	Talked about Programs
COLLANG O	2	0	0	Talked about programs for November and recruited new members
CRISPELL	2	0	0	Cancelled meeting
DEYO	11	8	0	Discussed program
DUBOIS	3	2	0	Cancelled meeting
ESOPUS	9	6	0	Discussed Program Ideas
GAGE	2	0	0	Talked about upcoming events
LEFEVRE	4	3	0	Discussed program ideas
LENAPE	6	2	0	Talked about November programs
RIDGEVIEW	3	3	0	Talked about ten days of turkey program and collaboration with Esopus
SCUDDER	3	2	0	Talked about event on Friday

NRHH 9:11 PM

Hi, so applications went out last week, this week NRHH is going to every single hall government meeting. I hope you all apply.

SUSTAINABILITY 9:11 PM

Tune in Next Week for Sustainability.

SENATE 9:11 PM

Tune in Next Week for a Senate Report.

FUNDING REQUEST 9:11 PM

Sam: So we have a funding request today, so I'll explain how this works really quickly for y'all. So first the requester will give a 3 minute presentation. After that we will open up a 5 minute Question and Answer period that is extendable up to 3 times. After that the requester will leave the room and we will enter a discussion period that is extendable up to 3 times. After that we vote. Whenever you're ready you may begin, Pharez is on time.

Presenter: Hi everybody, I'm Eleanor, I'm the President of Amnesty International, it's a student run organization on campus in case you're interested. So the program I'm asking for funding for is called Life after Deportation. It's all been scheduled and put together, it's already been fused, the only issue is compensation of the guest speaker, Luis Argueta, he's a Guatemalan Film Producer and Director. He's gaining more global recognition and really getting up there and he's coming to display audio and visual testimonies by undocumented immigrants who have been deported back to their countries and their lives at that point as well as advice from immigrant rights activists and advocates and he's going to show us these testimonies that haven't been released or published or produced or anything like that, it's just for New Paltz Students to see and without compensating him this program can't happen. So we're asking for \$800.00 and I think right now, in this political climate if you don't mind me saying so, it is so important to talk about what's happening to these people who are being sent back to their countries, you know, this affects me deeply, I have a couple family members who have been sent back actually, and it's like, what do you even do at this point. So it's very important that we talk about it and it's beneficial to the residents, we want to talk about diversity, we're a diverse campus and school. I want to see programs like this happening and I'll believe that when I see it so that's it really.

Sam: Gonna ask everyone in the Associate Council to no longer use technology at this point so no phones, laptops etc.

Motion to Open Q&A: RIdgeview

Second: Deyo

Sam: So a funding request is when an organization comes to us to request money for a program or event that they're going to be putting on, which comes out of our specific funding request budget and we give to them if it gets passed. If you can ask any questions related to the program or why we should or should not give her the money you can do that now.

Bliss: How long is the program?

Eleanor: It runs from 5-7 PM.

Dubois: What club or organization is this being hosted with?

Eleanor: This is being hosted with Amnesty International, Spanish Club, and the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Department.

Dubois: Are you looking to have it in the Lecture Center?

Eleanor: It's already been fused in the Science Hall for next Tuesday from 5-7 PM, food will be provided but we aren't paying for food, we're only seeking compensation for the speaker.

Lefevre: How much money do we have in the budget?

Sam: So point of order, for funding requests we don't talk about how much is in the budget because the money is there to give to them.

Juan: We have money in the budget that's allocated for certain programs so anyone on campus can come and ask for money and we can either deny or grant them the money, but it's not actual about the money, we already have the money allocated for it in the budget. It's about the program and how it'll affect the community. So a program like this, we want to talk about how it might help the campus community. This is something to keep in mind, think more about the program than the money.

Sam: And if we didn't have the funds we'd let you know.

Lefevre: Could you tell us more about the speaker?

Eleanor: Okay, so Luis Argueta has filmed the film U-Turn, it's about the ICE Invasion in factories in Illinois and a bunch of people were deported and basically he follows the lives of these deportees and what happens to them and their lives trying to come back to the United States due to their socio-economic situations and it basically focuses on Latin American and Central America's relationship with the United States as well as immigration and deportation and that whole subject so he focuses his work on that and it'd be beneficial to have him on campus because he's slowly gaining global recognition so the price that he's asking for isn't that bad. You also get to meet him, shake his hand, ask him questions. He knows so much he's so well versed on the topic, I want to meet him too and I think he would help us to be more woke and to be more proactive about the situation which is very prevalent right now.

Deyo: How have you advertised the event?

Eleanor: Due to my lack of printing quota I did not print enough posters but we do have a poster or flyer with all of the information that all of the involved organizations are going to advertise. The professors in the department also plan to share it with the students and encourage them to go for extra credit as well, we'll advertise on facebook, everything like that, and the sign is in the library.

Bouton: How many people do you think are going to go?

Eleanor: Hopefully 100.

Pharez: 30 Seconds.

Sam: When Pharez says 30 seconds you can say Move to extend by 5 minutes and then we need a second. You can just say it.

*(Question and Answer was extended by 5 Minutes)*

Ridgeview: Do you know if he's planning on showing one continuous film or multiple clips?

Eleanor: A variety of clips.

Deyo: Could you email us a poster so we can put them up in our clubs?

Eleanor: Of course.

Dubois: How did you reach out to the speaker?

Eleanor: If any of you know Luz Porras, she's a lecturer here in the Language Literature Department and she knows everybody up in Guatemala and she knows performance artists and other amazing people who dedicate their lives to their work and we displayed U-Turn and I told her I wanted to do something on campus related to the department and she said she'd call Luis and see what he's up to and he said he was doing a tour and he'd go out of the way to stop in New Paltz to talk to us.

Motion to Close Q&A: Esopus

Second: NRHH

Sam: I'll ask that you step out now while we do a discussion period and vote and we will call you back in when we have a decision.

Motion to Open Discussion: Deyo  
Second: Scudder

Sam: The discussion period will open when the first point is made.

Ridgeview: I think-

Sam: Point of Order when we're referring to things in a discussion use your hall name instead of I.

Ridgeview: Ridgeview thinks that it's definitely a good idea to bring the speaker on to campus to address current issues and diverse ideas so the compensation is worth it.

Bliss: Bliss agrees with Ridgeview.

Pharez: Point of Parliamentary Procedure really quickly, if you're agreeing with something someone else says you can just say yield to redundancy.

Lefevre: Yield to redundancy.

NRHH: NRHH notices that due to the collaboration of three different clubs that it should have a larger outcome so it might be a good thing.

Bouton: Bouton feels that the price is not excessive and as Kendall said, a lot of clubs will be there so I know that this is really important to a lot of people and the topic should be discussed more often so Bouton feels this is a good idea.

Dubois: I think it's a pretty well developed time with elections going on right now and it might be a good eye opener. I think the program would go over pretty well.

Lefevre: Lefevre wants to say that considering that he is gaining international recognition that having him come might be beneficial for the campus overall.

Sam: Point of Order for my own executive board, please do not snap at discussion points as you will not be voting.

Deyo: After they vote on this, how will he be compensated?

Juan: So basically I cut them a check, they get the money, he deposits his check, and that's it. It's the same way anyone deposits a check, it gets approved by CAS but otherwise it's fine. It's a valid question though.

Dubois: Do you think any violent or harsh opposition will be seen in response to the event?

Sam: I don't think that's something that we can foresee, it's a very big time for protests right now, especially with the current political climate and elections coming up tomorrow, I don't know what the outcome would be so I wouldn't take that into consideration when you're voting because we can't see into the future.

Collango: Collango believes that it's an important topic that people should know about.

Pharez: 30 Seconds.

*(Discussion was extended by 5 Minutes)*

Collango: But it's important for people not just for SUNY students but across America in general, and I feel like the more awareness we have here, the more we can spread it to our families back at home and we can definitely benefit from somebody who has directly worked with people who have been deported to spread awareness across America.

Bevier: Unfortunately it is a topic that hits home for a lot of people, and for others there is a lack of knowledge about it, so bringing someone like him to our campus would be good for educational purposes overall and for people to gain a greater understanding of it.

Sam: If you guys agree with a point you can snap in support.

Deyo: Also because he's going out of his way to come here, it's an important factor.

Lenape: Is there anything we should be doing to promote the event?

Sam: Usually it's on the presenter and their club to promote the event but personally halls can advertise if you want to but you don't need to.

Motion to Close Discussion: Ridgeview  
Second: Lefevre

Motion to Vote by Closed Eyes Hands Raised: Capen  
Second: Bliss

Sam: So we will now move into a period of voting, I ask that everyone close their eyes and I'll give the voting options when everyone's eyes are closed. Your voting options are: Giving them the full amount of 800\$, giving them another amount that would be discussed, not giving them any money, or abstain. So if you have a placard it counts for one vote and you don't have to vote for the same thing your partner is.

Full Amount: 24  
Another Amount: 0  
None: 0  
Abstain: 1

Sam: We have come to a decision!

Sam: Congratulations we have voted to give you the full amount of \$800.00, you can speak to Juan later on how to get your money.

OLD BUSINESS 9:35 PM  
Motion to Open: Scudder  
Second: Collango

NCC

So conference was this past weekend, we went, it was a 4 ½ hour drive, we went, it was a lot of fun, we learned a lot, it was great, if you didn't get a chance to go to conference and you want to go because it's so much fun and you all want to go, watch out for applications because they may or may not be coming out later this semester!

Historian

Hey, my first committee meeting was last week and it was poor timing because it was Halloween on a Tuesday night but we decided on an official time which is Tuesdays at 8:30 PM, this is the Kollage Friendly Committee, KFC will be provided, not at this meeting but maybe the next one. So yeah, if you're into photography, you want to make collages, do a scrapbook, have fun, our next meeting is tomorrow but if you're interested and you haven't given me your email or GroupMe yet, come up to me after the meeting so I can get your info.

Labelling Pizza Party

So that happened, thanks for coming, it was great. We finished really quickly, those of you that came from your halls, you're getting GFPs for that and we had pizza. Thanks for coming.

Bliss: Where's the committee meeting?

Marissa: It's in the RHSA office in Capen B16 by the weird crazy steps.

Collango: What time is it?

Marissa: 8:30 PM on Tuesdays.

### BUZZ Video Game Night

So I wasn't there but I wasn't there, I was at conference but I heard it was great and that you guys had a lot of fun! It was great working with other organizations and I see you guys got those great green shirts you're wearing today! I made those, they're great they're fantastic.

Motion to Close: Collango

Second: Dubois

### NEW BUSINESS 9:38 PM

Motion to Open: Lefevre

Second: Ridgeview

### Palisades Mall Trip

Alright guys, so on December 1st we're taking a trip to the Palisades Mall! We're going by Bus, if you want to go, come to the office to sign up, you can give us \$5.00 to save your seat but when you get on the bus you get that \$5.00 back, so it's a free trip we just want to make sure you're going to come and that we're not giving away seats, so they're probably going to be around 80 seats and we'll let you know when you can start signing up for that, probably next week. So look out for that, go gift shopping.

Sam: Drop by our office hours to give your deposits.

Jules: Hell yeah.

Motion to Close: Deyo

Second: Esopus

### UPCOMING EVENTS 9:40 PM

Palisades Mall Trip, December 1st, 9:30 AM Lot 32

Lenape: How long are we going to be at the mall?

Sam: We'll be there from 10-4. It's open to anyone.

### HALL CONCERNS 9:40 PM

If there's something going on in your Hall that you've already talked to your RAs and RD about, you've waited for something to happen and nothing has been done, this is your time to tell us.

Lenape: So for our bike storage room, there's a half foot drop and we've requested a ramp so you don't have to lift it up in the rain because it's become a hazard to do that but nothing has been done yet.

Sam: I'll look into it.

Lenape: Is the parking lot a hall concern or a student concern?

Sam: I'll take that as a Student Concern.

### STUDENT CONCERNS 9:42 PM

If you have general concerns for things going on campus wide, something's broken, wrong, can be improved, this is your moment to tell us so we can relay the information to administration, however if you have any food concerns, type, quality, price, location, etc. we will not hear them at this point but you can email us at [rhsa@hawkmall.newpaltz.edu](mailto:rhsa@hawkmall.newpaltz.edu).

Lenape: The Lenape parking lot on the weekends, people come for sports events and they take up the entire lot, they fill up the entire Resident Lot and they never get a ticket so I can't find a place to put my car. Also the resident lot fills up a lot and the commuter lot is always empty so I heard some residents suggest that they look into making the commuter lot for residents as well.

Sam: I know that right now administration isn't looking to changing anything related to parking because they're fairly happy with how things are right now but I can look into the people parking during sports events for you.

Lenape: Yeah, because they take up the entire lot.

Lenape: I'm not sure what the solution is but I feel like lawn care is everyday now and my professors are getting really frustrated because it interferes with their teaching. Last week my professor moved to a different room and then the lawn care moves to the other side of the building.

Sam: I'll look into that for you.

Sam: I would like to open a point in student concerns where we talk a little bit about the college council meeting if any of you went on Thursday and let us know how you felt about it. For those of you that don't know, last Thursday there was a college council meeting in SUB 62/63 where the college council was going to be voting on renaming the Hasbrouck Quad building names and I wanted to gather data on how people felt the meeting went and their opinions on it. How many of you went? Can I get a raise of hands? Okay. I'll keep you updated on any future college council meetings.

Pharez: Next time can they use proper parliamentary procedure because it's very important. That would be fantastic.

Jules: Point of Information, should we be coming to you for anything concerning our administration or college council in general?

Sam: I'd say both.

Jules: College Council members should not be allowed to talk during the public forum.

Jules: The chairman should be required to maintain a calm composure instead of yelling at people during the meeting.

Jules: Students should not have to be escorted out by the police for talking.

Sarah: If they're going to make rules about how many times a student can talk then they need to tell the students beforehand instead of escorting them out for talking.

Lenape: Do you know how long they can postpone it for?

Sam: They postponed it until spring semester and from what I've heard from administration the meeting is probably going to be around February.

Lenape: But can they postpone it again?

Sam: Yeah they can basically postpone it indefinitely if they use the right parliamentary procedure for it until we all graduate if they wanted to but chances are that won't happen. I'll let you know when I find out more information on it.

Juan: That's why it's important to go and show face and illustrate that it's an important issue to the student body, so if you go it'll make a difference!

Sam: Like I said, I'll let you all know what the spring date is when I get the information.

Deyo: If it's postponed is it going to be a meeting again where we can attend and can we be excused from class?

Jules: I don't think you're allowed to be excused for it, however a lot of professors are very accomodating of it.

Marissa: For this one, I went to my professor and asked him if I could leave for it, and not only was he okay with it but he told me to announce it to the class and have the entire class leave to go to it. Nobody went but still.

## OPEN FLOOR 9:48 PM

If you have any stuff about your personal clubs and organizations, stuff going on in New Paltz, etc. this is your time to tell us!!!

Deyo: So tomorrow at 8 we're having our Hall Gov Hot Seat and we'll have pizza and garlic knots for you.

Juan: What time?

Deyo: 8:00 PM

NRHH: Hi! If you're a first year student, the community mentors in Esopus are having a program called Registration Nation tomorrow night and Wednesday night from 8-9 PM and we'll show you how to register for classes and everything. So if you are a first year or a transfer student registering for the first time, come through! It's tomorrow and Wednesday from 8-9 PM.

Jules: Did you guys know that tomorrow is Election Day?! If you're registered to vote, you vote in the SUB! I expect to see all of you that can legally vote there!

Deyo: Also, there's a SUNY website called [suny.gov.civicingine](http://suny.gov.civicingine) or something like that so it's really awesome if you're registered to vote you can find convenient information about the candidates in your area so if you're registered here in New Paltz just type in New Paltz in the search bar on the website and it shows all of the candidates and their information about their issues. It's good to be informed.

Pharez: Point of Information, what's the website?

Deyo: Can I get it, it's on the door over there.

Juan: Oh I have it right here.

Chrissy: [suny.civicingine.com](http://suny.civicingine.com) and if you see any of the flyers with a big check mark on it asking if you're registered to vote, it's written in red or blue or something.

Marissa: Come sign up for my committee.

Jules: Project Heal is having a program on November 14th in SUB 418 at 8 PM it's called Thank My Lucky Stars and it's a stress relief program before Thanksgiving and we also have meetings at 7 PM on Thursdays in SUB 416 if you want to come through and see me.

Ridgeview: This Friday at 4 on the outdoor track behind Ridgeview, Ridgeview and Esopus are doing a collaborative football game and if we need extra players any halls are welcome to come through.

Sam: There is a #metoo event on the Second Floor of the SUB right by the SUB MPR where you can write down experiences or like #webelieveyou on post it notes and there's trigger warnings just in case.

## PASSING OF MOLLY THE MOOSE 9:52 PM

Dubois: We are giving them to our reflection buddy, Deyo and we put a duck necklace on her!

## QUOTE OF THE WEEK 9:53 PM

"Everyone has flaws, that is undeniable, but we can choose to see past our flaws and see the beauty that we each hold inside of us." -Avina Celeste

## ADJOURNMENT 9:53 PM

Motion to Adjourn Until Next Week: Deyo  
Second: Dubois

Next Meeting in Dubois Hall!!!



