

RESIDENCE HALL STUDENT ASSOCIATION
ASSOCIATE COUNCIL MEETING

Date: 10/21/2019

Location: Minnewaska Hall

CALL TO ORDER 9:03 PM

Clare: Hey everyone! I hope you all enjoyed your fall break, and are ready to get back into the swing of RHSA stuff. Let's get started!

MYSTERY ACTIVITY 9:03 PM

Clare: Matt O. is going to show you how to do the "Matt." You can try if you want to. *Both Matts danced in front of the AC.*

ROLL CALL/HALL REPORTS 9:04 PM

Matt O: Hey guys! So when I call your hall, if you can give me the number of people representing your hall, how many RHSA shirts you have on, how many NRHH shirts you have on, how many Conference shirts you have on, and a hall report from your hall gov if you have one.

Hall Name	Number Present	RHSA Shirts	NRHH Shirts	Conference Shirts	Hall Report
Ashokan	1	1	0	0	Discussed future programs.
Awosting	2	0	0	0	We have a program tomorrow at 8pm in our main lounge.
Bliss	2	2	0	0	Discussed Halloween in the Halls, Alumni Weekend, our joint program with Collango, and we took a picture with Molly the Moose.
Bouton	5	3	0	0	Discussed Halloween in the Halls.
Capen	3	2	0	0	Discussed future programs and reflected on Spirit Week.
College-Shango	3	0	0	3	Discussed programs.
Esopus	3	1	0	0	Discussed Halloween in the Halls.
Gage	2	0	0	0	Discussed programs and Halloween in the Halls.
Lenape	6	4	0	0	We discussed programs, Halloween in the Halls, and Alumni Weekend.

Minnewaska	11	10	0	0	Discussed Halloween in the Halls and Alumni Weekend.
Mohonk	3	1	0	0	Discussed Halloween in the Halls, Homecoming, and Alumni Weekend.
Ridgeview	6	5	0	1	Discussed Halloween programs.
Scudder	4	3	0	1	Discussed Halloween in the Halls and programs.
Shawangunk	6	5	0	1	Discussed programming.

SENATE 9:09 PM

Salam: We didn't meet for last week, but we met the week before that. We discussed Homecoming, our initiative of unity, and Homecoming was a success. Thank you to everyone who came!

NRHH 9:10 PM

Emily: We didn't meet because of fall break, but we participated in Make a Difference Day. We are currently planning more volunteering opportunities, and going bowling for chapter bonding.

Funding Request 9:11 PM

Clare: I would like to invite Christine and Charlotte from Whatever it Takes. This is our first funding request, so I'm going to take you through it. This is your first time voting, but it's a lot of fun. They will present to you guys and they will have a 3 minute speech, a 5 minute question and answer that is extendable up to 3 times, and a 5 minute discussion period that is extendable up to 3 times. Only the people asking questions and discussing are your 2 AC Reps for this vote. You won't discuss this among on your hall. AC Reps make the decision. After the discussion, we will do an eyes closed, hands raised vote.

Lenape: What is a funding request?

Matt K: It's when an org asks RHSA for funding. We allot money in our budget to give to other organizations on campus. They send a form to me and I bring it Clare and then, to the Eboard, and we vote on it. If we pass it, we bring it to you guys, and you decide where the funding goes.

Presenters: I'm Chirstine and I'm Charlotte and we are part of the recognized interest group, Delta Phi Lambda, the Asian interest sorority on campus, so we want to host an event this Friday in SUB 62/63 from 7pm to 10pm for a Halloween/haunted house themed party. There is no cost to attend, so there will be raffle tickets for people to purchase if they want to win prizes. There are \$25 gift cards. It's a haunted house theme, there is a photobooth and we recommend for people to dress up. If you show up in costume, you will get a free raffle ticket. We will have different stations. There will be pumpkin painting, origami, face painting, a ring toss, stained glass decorations, and the projected cost is around \$185. This money will go towards the decorations, some of the food, some snacks and it's all for the benefit of you guys. To keep track of our attendance, we will have an attendance list with people's names, which hall they are from, whether or not they are a commuter and what year they are. The reason why we want to host this

program is, like Clare said, this is the first funding request of the semester and we wanted to reach out to RHSA and collab with other organizations because our organization is pretty small. We wanted to get our name out there, collaborate with the campus and host an event for everyone.

Motion to Open Question and Answer: Ridgeview
Second: Esopus

Ridgeview: How long have you been preparing for this program?

Presenter: Three weeks.

Mohonk: Since it's for this Friday, why didn't we do this earlier?

Clare: When it was presented, we had the break in the middle, so it was presented with a sufficient amount of time, but the break delayed this.

Shawangunk: Besides the poster, how else are you advertising for the event?

Presenter: We will advertise on our social media, we have a Facebook, and we will email other orgs.

Lenape: Has this program already been advertised?

Presenter: It's been advertised since last Friday. The issue was getting approved by RHSA, but we wanted to get the word out, too.

Johnathan: Will you have dietary restriction options?

Presenter: We were considering gluten free, vegan, and general snacks.

Mohonk: How much is it for the raffle tickets?

Presenter: \$1 for 1, \$3 for 5, and \$5 for... (*Secretary Matt couldn't hear the ticket amount*). This is only if you want to.

Shawangunk: What are the examples of gift cards?

Presenter: We will a \$25 Amazon one, and a \$25 Starbucks one.

Ridgeview: Do you have anything else you want to add?

Presenter: Since it's a bigger event, we are looking for volunteers.

Ridgeview: How do you plan on advertising for that and reaching out to people for volunteers?

Presenter: We were emailing people.

Gage: To clarify, are you raising money through the raffle for the sorority?

Presenter: Yes.

Mohonk: What time is the event?

Presenter: 7pm to 10pm.

Minnewaska: How much is the price for the gift card?

Presenter: Two \$25 gift cards.

Lenape: How much funding is available for this?

Clare: We won't tell you how much we have because it's not necessary. We use the funds for other organizations.

Presenter: We requested \$185.

Motion to Exhaust the Speaker's List: Ridgeview

Second: Capen

Motion to Close Question and Answer: College-Shango

Second: Shawangunk

Clare: I just wanted to remind you all that there should only be two people talking. That's also for voting, too. Let's make sure who is the voting AC Rep for the night.

Lenape: If this gets approved, is there a lesser chance for others orgs to get funded?

Clare: No.

Motion to Open Discussion: Capen

Second: Lenape

Ridgeview: I like the idea of the event. It feels inclusive. It reminds me of an SNF event. My one thing is that it does feel a little rushed since it is this Friday. It's a great concept.

Esopus: Since they had three weeks to prepare and get funding from their org, I feel that it will go fine.

Serena: They had to go to us first and it had to get approved. They came to us weeks before.

Matt K: I oversee the funding requests and they did meet the deadline, which is three weeks ahead of time.

Ridgeview: Funding wise, they may have been good, but it's Friday and they need volunteers.

Clare: About elections and stuff like that, you as an AC share what you feel is best, when you are presenting, and you will notice the Robert's Rules on the back of your placard. You will say your hall name when you speak (e.g. Ridgeview feels...).

Lenape: I have seen no advertisements and this is new to me and we feel that it may not get much attention because the event is in SUB 62/63.

Clare: When in discussion period, we should make points of what they said. Talking about posters is not valid, but talking about the SUB is.

Lenape: We still agree that we have not seen advertisements and they said that they have.

Esopus: We have definitely seen advertisements.

Awosting: We feel that this program fits the mood of Halloween very well. Point of clarification, is \$185 a high number?

Clare: No.

Awosting: We also feel that they put emphasis on community and bringing people together.

Minnewaska: We agree but they did come to us as a big group and we do know about it now. They are small and we should help them.

Esopus: We would like to agree with Minnewaska. We should be encouraging those types of events.

Gage: We agree with Esopus and Minnewaska because they emphasized that they are small and that explains why they would need the funding.

Ridgeview: We feel that their heart is in the right place. The event could be beneficial.

Shawangunk: We appreciate that they put work into it.

Minnewaska: We feel that \$185 is a humble amount, it's not much of a risk.

Motion to Close Discussion: Awosting

Second: Lenape

Voting

Give them the full amount: 25

Give them a partial amount: 0

Give them no funding: 0

Abstain: 0

Clare: We have agreed to give them the full amount!

OLD BUSINESS 9:37 PM

Motion to Open: Ridgeview

Second: Capen

Historian

Noah: Hey guys! I don't have any social media challenge results tonight because of the break, but I do want to remind you all that your Creative Photos and Memes of the Month are due to our email by next week's meeting, which is on October 28th at midnight! Don't forget to get those in!

Secretary

Matt O: The results to the riddle in the minutes: third place was Shawangunk, second place was Collango, and first place was Lenape. The answer was that President Clare's office hours are Mondays from 2pm to 4pm.

Apology

Clare: As an organization, we always want to stay completely transparent with all of you, so we would like to apologize for an oversight that we had made in regards to our last AC meeting. We hosted our accessibility student concern talk at College-Shango lounge, which is an inaccessible location. This is an oversight that we never meant to happen, and moving forward we will be going above and beyond to assure that all of our meetings and programs are accessible, so that no student on campus feels excluded. Since it's not always easy to find out the accessibility of a lounge or building, I will be speaking to Student Activities to see if there could be a solution to this issue. Either way, we will be working hard to make sure issues like this are avoidable.

Campus Communications Coordinator (CCC)

Johnathan: Hi everybody, just a few quick things to clear up some confusion and make programming easier for your Hall Govs. First, I heard that some people had trouble accessing the PUP Sheets and GFP Packet because they were a Google Doc so pretty soon they'll be posted to the website as PDFs. Second, your Spirit Buddies are different from Hall Buddies and I never told y'all those so that's my bad. Your Hall Buddy is basically your partner in crime for the semester and doing a program with your Hall Buddy earns more GFPs than a regular tandem program. It's an easy way to earn some extra GFPs without going HAM and they are as follows:

Bliss + Bouton

Scudder + Capen

Lenape + Shawangunk

Esopus + Ridgeview

Awosting + Minnewaska

Mohonk + Ashokan

Collango + Gage

Remember GFPs and programming are a way to get to know your Hall's community while also improving the community. Don't feel any pressure to exhaust yourself over programs or GFPs. There are fun, easy ways to earn them and we'll be revealing some pretty soon.

Alumni Weekend

Matt K: Hey everyone! Great work at Alumni Weekend. It was nice to see so many happy alumni. Thanks for the help and keep up the good work.

Motion to Close: Lenape

Second: Capen

NEW BUSINESS 9:41PM

Motion to Open: Shawangunk

Second: Esopus

Labeling Pizza Party

Kevin: This Wednesday, October 23rd from 12pm to 3pm in Capen B-16, the RHSA office, we will be doing a labeling pizza party.

Halloween in the Halls

Sarah: So, Halloween in the Halls will be this Sunday, October 27th from 3pm to 5pm in all of your halls. As you know, kids from the New Paltz area will come to trick or treat on our campus! As Hall Govs, you get to decide what activities or events you want to put on for the kids in your main lounge during that time. You should hold sign ups for the rooms that want to give out candy, and you can either use the passport systems that your RD's have offered to you, or come up with your own system to decide how to let trick or treaters know which doors to go to! We have one bag of candy for each hall, but your hall gov is required to buy whatever other candy

you'll need for the event, so make sure to plan for that! We can't wait to see all your fun costumes and stuff! See you then!

New Paltz Leadership Conference

Serena: NPLC is going to be on Sunday, November 3rd, and if you open up the envelopes in your folder, you will see an invite to bring back to your hall with the date and time. There is also a mini url, that you are all going to need to go to, tinyurl.com/nplc2019, and sign your hall up for programs, I know it seems like a long time, but there is a big break for you to chill and we serve both lunch and dinner! Now I'm just gonna hand out clothespins. These should basically be decorated to adhere to the theme of The Greatest Showmoose, so it will be somewhat circus themed. All in all, it's just like a mini-conference and a lot of fun! You will also need to do a digital banner, since all of you have already done physical ones. It should also adhere to the theme and include your own hall's mascot.

Mohonk: Should we dress up?

Serena: No, but I would recommend it.

Clare: People dress up for the banquet.

Shawangunk: Point of information, when was the break?

Serena: From 4pm to 7pm.

College-Shango: How many programs can you submit?

Serena: At least 2, but as many as you want!

Scudder: What's the url for?

Serena: The packet to sign your hall up and say who's coming and what dietary restrictions you have.

Ridgeview: When is the packet due?

Serena: Next Monday.

Clare: Next Monday at the AC meeting.

Ridgeview: Where do you sign up again?

Clare: The mini url and it will be in the Instagram bio.

Gage: Who is required to attend?

Serena: We would love for your whole hall gov to attend, especially Eboard members.

Ridgeview: Can liaisons attend?

Serena: Yes.

Sarah: None of our events are mandatory, but we really want to see you there because it means a lot to see you come through.

Gage: Point of clarification, what are the programs we are submitting?

Serena: The four¹ categories are diversity, self, social, sustainability, and teamwork and there are awards for the best programs.

Ridgeview: When is the banner due?

Serena: At conference in the morning at 10:30am.

Advocacy & Inclusivity Committee

Matt O: Matt K and myself would like to start an advocacy and inclusivity committee for all students who are interested. We are looking to further discuss student concerns, raise awareness

¹ Serena said that there are four program categories, but she would like to clarify that there are actually five.

for important topics relevant to our campus, and trying to bring positive change to the school community. If you are interested, come see Matt and me at the end of the meeting so we can get your email address and send out a Doodle Poll to find an appropriate meeting time.

Condom Casino

Johnathan: It's almost that time of year everybody! The time for safe sex! Not that it's not all the time, but Condom Casino will be November 9th, at 7pm in the SUB MPR. Come get some free condoms, candy, and interesting prizes *wink wink*. Additionally, since this is a such a big event and we have thousands of condoms to give away we're gonna need some volunteers. Volunteers will get a free t-shirt and some GFPs for their time. If you're available to volunteer and you don't have to do the entire time, please come see me after the meeting to sign up.

College-Shango: What do the shirts look like?

Clare: We don't know yet.

Lenape: If you volunteer, can you also participate in the games?

Clare: Yes.

Ridgeview: Is this the only time that volunteers can sign up?

Johnathan: You can come during my office hours or next meeting or email

Evals

Johnathan: So, Spirit Week has come and gone and we're already planning for next year. I know you're all so excited for it and we would love to hear back from everyone to improve it moving forward. A link was sent to your liaisons for the evaluation, so be on the lookout for that. Please put some time and consideration into the survey so we can read through them and make the appropriate changes up until next Spirit Week.

Ridgeview: When is the deadline to submit the evaluations?

Johnathan: There is no deadline. We will always read them.

Advertising Committee

Kevin: Last night, Noah and me sent an email out. We are working on picking a meeting time this week. We want to improve the way we do things.

Programming Committee

Sarah: Hey guys, so programming committee will be starting up soon, so anyone who's interested in putting on programs on a campus-wide scale, or has some fun program ideas should absolutely come join! If you're interested or want to learn more information about it, come up to me after the meeting and we'll work together to find a meeting time.

Regional Leadership Conference (RLC)

Serena: We picked people and they are here. When I call your name, please stand up and we will applaud for them after I call of their names. I would like to congratulate Kaitlin M., Emily A., and Callie Q., for being chosen to attend RLC!

Motion to Close: Minnewaska

Second: Ridgeview

UPCOMING EVENTS 9:59 PM

- Labeling Pizza Party (Wednesday, October 23rd from 12pm to 3pm in the RHSA office)
- Halloween in the Halls (Sunday, October 27th from 3pm to 5pm)
- New Paltz Leadership Conference (Sunday, November 3rd 10:30am to 8pm, break from 4pm to 7pm)
- Condom Casino (Saturday, November 9th at 7pm in SUB MPR)

HALL CONCERNS 10:00 PM

Clare: If there's something wrong in your hall that you have already talked to your RAs and RDs about and nothing has been done, this is your time to tell us.

Bliss: We talked to our RD and SRA, and we put a work order in, but our second floor exit sign is hanging by its wires. It's been like that since August.

Clare: Where is it near?

Bliss: It's right in front of the elevator.

Esopus: We have a vending machine that is not accepting card. I put in a work order two weeks ago with our SRA and it still does not work and the other one does not accept card.

Clare: I will talk to CAS.

Awosting: We have a ton of mice in the hall. We put in a lot of work orders. Our RD gives us the spray for it, but it doesn't seem to keep them away. My suitemate bought mouse traps that I have to empty at least twice a day. They are consistently in our rooms.

Clare: Is it the same mice that keep coming back?

Awosting: I empty them and put it outside far from our building to throw them off. Someone in our hall gov had a lot of mice and they had to come and completely redo her radiator to keep them away.

Clare: Is your RD aware of it?

Awosting: Yes. She gives us spray and she is trying to do what she can, but I don't know if there is anything higher up that you can do about it.

Clare: I'll find out what I can do.

Lenape: We are still having issues with our vending machine. I know CAS has been talked to, but that was weeks ago.

Clare: I am aware. I will keep talking to them.

STUDENT CONCERNS FOLLOW-UP 10:03 PM

Clare: A few meetings ago, we had the concern that when students are transported to the hospital, whether in the day or late at night, it's challenging to get back to campus sometimes. There is a service that's provided by campus. It is not free, but I wanted to let you know about that. Also, SA and RHSA are working to see if we can get a service to provide free transportation back to campus after you have a trip to the hospital at any point in the day. We don't want students to be stranded. If you do have a transport to the hospital, and you can't get a ride back because you don't have friends or the Uber costs too much, if you call UPD from the hospital, they can give you a list of taxi services from New Paltz, they will come and pick you up. They will take you to UPD, and they will give you a voucher to sign off with you and the taxi driver. You had that ride back, but eventually, CAS will come to get the price of the taxi ride back from you. It's a temporary thing. Moving forward, we are trying to provide ways to get people back to campus from the hospital without having to pay.

STUDENT CONCERNS 10:06 PM

Clare: If you have general concerns for things going on campus wide (something's broken, wrong, administrative concerns, faculty concerns), this is your moment to tell us so we can relay the information to the administration. However, if you have any food concerns (type, quality, price, location, etc), we will not hear them at this point but you can email us at rhsa@hawkmail.newpaltz.edu.

Lenape: I have two vending machine concerns. The one in the lecture center that sells expired soda is broken. Also, the one in Coykendall by the DMJ Com area, does not take card. The one downstairs.

Clare: Which one is it?

Lenape: It's the drink one. The downstairs one.

Clare: What about the lecture center one?

Lenape: The lecture center one is the one closest to the library. The drink one.

Ridgeview: In Humanities, in the girl's bathroom, there are no female hygiene products in there.

Clare: Okay. Thank you. I will look into that right away.

Minnewaska: In that same bathroom, the garbage piece in between the stalls is missing, so you can see the toilets.

Minnewaska: With the entire contaminated water thing, can they just shut off the water?

Clare: You all should have gotten a few emails about it. They are testing all the fire hydrants and things like that across campus and if you read the email, it is okay to shower and wash hands your hands in, they said it is okay to drink. They said they recommend to not do laundry in it. The stuff in the water is not harmful to ingest, but it does possibly stain.

Capen: The email said 8am to 4pm today and tomorrow.

Clare: If that's it, then, that's what it said.

Ridgeview: I went to go get water at 1pm and saw it brown, but during the evening, the water cleared up.

College-Shango: This happens every year, if you let it run a little bit, it's fine on its own, but you can't let a laundry machine run before you use it.

Awosting: Is the water safe for people with sensitive skin?

Clare: I'm not sure, but I would check the email.

Capen: In the email, it says you can email them back.

Lenape: Do you know a timeline for the Haggerty and CSB entrances and the orange netting at Old Main Quad? *What is the first RHSA event of November this year?*

Clare: I will find that out for you.

Esopus: Can they give us this information ahead of time because some of us can't do laundry?

Clare: They said they sent an email in the past week, but they actually didn't. It might have been a spontaneous decision.

RD Analysis: Point of clarification, as a pro staff, I didn't read the email until today, but it was sent out Friday to faculty, staff, and students.

Clare: We did get one, but in the future, I will try to see if we can get more of a heads-up in the future.

Bliss: I checked my email and I didn't get one Friday.

Clare: I'll ask them for the specifics about that.

OPEN FLOOR 10:14 PM

Clare: If you have a program, meeting or any other announcement that you would like to share with the associate council, now is your time to share by raising your placard.

Ridgeview: Ridgeview Hall gov is hosting a survivors of midterms self-care seminar on Thursday night at 7:30pm in our main lounge. You can relax, we will have face masks, relaxing music, and you can write encouraging messages.

Awosting: Our hall gov is pairing up with RA Vishesh at 8pm tomorrow for a casino night in our main lounge. There will be refreshments and snacks.

Ridgeview: Do you like eating at midnight? There will be pancakes and grilled cheese, so come over to Ridgeview tomorrow.

College-Shango: Come to Shango tonight for some cupcakes at midnight.

Shawangunk: This Friday, we are doing a program called Ice Scream at 7:30pm, I think. We are watching a movie and eating ice cream.

Minnewaska: Who has an invention they want to invent? In this very room, we are hosting a Shark Tank event coming up. Our Eboard are going to be the sharks and we might buy it. November 7th.

Scudder: If you like scary movies and halloween movies, come to Scudder at Friday at 9pm for a spooky or halloween movie.

Bliss: On October 30th at 9pm in the Shango basement, we are collabing on a scary stories night.

College-Shango: We are hosting a couple of scary movie nights. On Tuesday at 9:45pm in Shango C-lounge we are watching Scary Movie. Then, we are going to watch Halloweentown Thursday at 9pm in College main lounge.

Ridgeview: This Thursday, we are doing Nightflix this Thursday at 9pm. We will pick a movie.

Lenape: This Thursday at 8:30pm we are watching Hocus Pocus and having food.

Gage: On Monday, we are thinking at 6:30pm of doing a pumpkin painting activity in the Gage main lounge with apple cider.

Ridgeview: We are having an event every night until Halloween, check our social media for the schedule. On Halloween, we will be showing the Exorcist.

Kevin: This Thursday, October 24th in the Ashokan main lounge at 9pm, there will be a self-care event.

PASSING OF MOLLY THE MOOSE 10:23 PM

Clare: Who's got Molly?

Bliss: We put on a custom Bliss Hall scrunchie! Molly is going to College-Shango!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK 10:24 PM

Serena: "If you focus on what you left behind, you will never see what lies ahead." - Gusteau, *Ratatouille*

ADJOURNMENT 10:25 PM

Motion to Adjourn the Meeting: Minnewaska
Second: Ashokan

Next meeting will be in Ashokan Hall!

