RESIDENCE HALL STUDENT ASSOCIATION

ASSOCIATE COUNCIL MEETING

Date: 03/18/24

Location: SUB 409

CALL TO ORDER 9:05PM

Abby: Alright everyone! Let's lock in, we've got a lot to get done tonight!

FOOD CONCERNS MEETING 9:06PM

Scudder: Love the addition of Krishna's, give's a lot of new good options on campus!

Gage: In the dining hall there has been occasions where there is no silverware and its a significant amount of time before the silverware is replaced

Mike: I will look into that, no excuse for running low.

Lenape: There are not a lot of kosher/halal options, in the dining hall a lot of options have some sort of pork.

Mike: We have met with the Muslim Student Association and interviewed a Halal vendor and we are considering all options for Halal. Last sememster we added Kosher options, like Kosher corner in Peregrine with frozen Kosher meals with its own microwave. We increased our Kosher frozen meals at the roost, but it is challenging to go deeper.

Bouton: What's the deal with food labeling? For those with celiac they struggle to eat on campus due to not knowing what has gluten or not.

Mike: I don't think thats accurate. Our food labeling has increased significantly, we have an allergy chart for all of our locations that says what has gluten and what does not. For those with celiac it is important that they meet with our dietician, Kelly Pearson, so that she can help them with our special diet order form.

Bouton: What about cross contaminon?

Mike: As I understand it, it is not a cross contamination issue, but a cross contact issue when it comes to gluten. We have dedicated stations in our locations that are supposed to be utilized, if they aren't being utilized I would love to know. Specific instances are more helpful. Anyone with allergens or food issues, please email me or Kelly so we can have a better one on one discussion and get through the problem, it's all about reaching out!

Lenape: With the roost, the prices are really expensive, almost 2x retail price, which makes it hard for students to work within their meal plans. Is it possible to lower the prices?

Mike: Our pricing is generated through where we buy, what we buy, but we don't have the buying power as Tops or something. So the profit margin on anything we sell is minimal, its

challenging, its there as a convenience for the students. It's a difficult market for us to be in, but we appreciate it is hard to go off campus, but with some items there is nothing to be done.

Lenape: I understand, but it is no longer a convenience when it costs this much. Also, with the dining hall, sometimes we have found ther eis not proper labeling on the food in regards to whether it has gluten or not. Also, when it is late night, there is only the option of burgers and fries, and no gluten free option. So, those who are gluten free go hungry since there is no where else open and no gluten free options. Is there a way for more inclusive options at late night?

Mike: At late night when you go, is the salad bar open?

Lenape: No.

Mike: So, that should be open every late night. Thank you for telling me. The salad bar and fruit section, pizza, and grill should be available. If that is not happening, I will go and address it. I can try and come up with better options for gluten free for late night.

Lenape: Also, the dishes tend to be dirty. I understand they're cleaned in bulk, but it's become a serious problem. I find it hard to trust that the plates are clean, which makes me not want to eat there.

Mike: I will address these concerns.

Bouton: Why is the meat pink sometimes? Why is it undercooked? Why do I know a lot of people who have gotten food posioning?

Mike: I don't know, I haven't met them. If there is people who are getting food poisoning, they need to be sure to come forward so that we can file the proper reports and be aware of it. We take food poisoning very seriously. As for undercooked meat, some people like their meat rare, if there is an issue, please bring it to somebodys attention so that it can be addressed as it is happening.

Steve: It is more helpful to us if you are able to give us specific instances rather than generalizations.

Lenape: In the dining hall, the uncovered bake goods are concerning. There sosmetimes are flies all over the food. It was particularly an issue for the EOP program over the summer. Also, with the ice cream machine in the dining hall, sometimes it looks moldy and it doesn't make it appetizing.

Bouton: Just a quick question. For national crepe day you seem to do really well, is it possible to make it a permanent item?

Mike: We do specials for a reason, since they get that excitement. I don't know if it will ever be permanent, but we can definitely do it more often.

Gage: My favorite place on campus is Krishna! First, for two places (Krishna and Perrys) for Krishna past 12:00pm a lot of menu items stop being an option. This also happens at Peregrine. Also for those with dietary restrictions when they run out of their food they have to sit and wait for 20-30 minutes until their food is replensihed.

Steve: I appreciate you understand the issue about not wasting food. We throw out about 30-40% of the food we make. We are just trying to keep your costs down and reduce our food waste. Mike will look into options regarding more food options.

Mike: To add, they only have a certain amount to go through each day, and Krishna does not cook on campus. For Peregrine, we cook based on how many people are there, so if there is a sudden rush it may take a few minutes to catch back up.

Gage: Another point, for commuter students since the 3rd floor is closed that is where the commuter lounge is, there was a microwave and it has vanished. We were wondering if there was a way to have an accessible microwave for commuters somewhere in the SUB without having to go to Wooster.

Steve: So this hasn't been our responsibility in the past. We at one time had a microwave at the SUB it is possible one could go in in SUB 100N once construction is done, after this conversation I will reach out, but it historically hasn't been our responsibility.

Gage: For Atrium Brew, if you are getting something that isn't a bagel, the only way to get cream cheese is to walk up and specifically ask for it and pay 99 cents. Is there a way to add that as an option to add extra cream cheese onto Grubhub?

Steve: Seems like an easy fix.

Gage: Next, the awareness of food disorders. Some people have issues with SUB connection with having the subs be cut too big, I don't know too much. Is there a way to put in the notes or something a specific way to cut the sandwiches or something.

Steve: So you want some kind of modification in Grubhub?

Gage: Maybe, but like the notes sections could work, but they're being ignored.

Steve/Mike: So we will address the notes being ignored, but please keep using them for these problems.

Gage: For WOW, the only place to get veggies is at the salad place. Is it still the same WOW distributor, on the website it says they are able to distribute brocolli to their locations (Curly fries too!!)

Mike: We did bring it up, I can't remember the reasoning, but I can bring it up again. It is on their main website but for some reason it is not in our menu cycle. The menu's they distribute to us are different from their full menus

Gage: Last thing, I know two years ago Peregrine had breakfast hours on the weekend until 11am or later. For the past semester at 11 on weekends it quickly moves into lunch, is this suppose dot happen or

Mike: Saturday and Sunday is supposed to be a brunch option for that time period. I'll address if they haven't had breakfast items out.

Lenape: With the salads at element, theres no options to not have tomatoes and I have to put it in the notes, which sometimes get ignored. Is there a way to add the option for no tomatoes. Is there a way to add that to grubhub? Also, when you go to peregrine, they charge you for another meal when you use a green container. For those who don't have the unlimited plan it makes it hard to ration out food, and having to use another meal swipe is difficult. Why are students charged extra for the container?

Mike: So when you take a container you are getting charged a second time?

Lenape: sometimes when you come in and eat and then go for a container they still charge you, but it depends on the person who is standing there. But majority of the time I am getting charged.

Mike: we are working on improving the green container program, I will look into this cause it does not make sense to me.

Shawangunk: I heard whispers that the dining hall is going to be renovated. Which is awesome, but what is the plan once it closes?

Steve: Yes, next year the dining hall will be shut down for three years. We are doing a total renovation and it will be amazing when it is finished. Unfortunately most of you will not be here to see that. The building was built in 1969 and hasn't been touched since. So this will be nice for students. There are a lot of plans in the work for the interm. Has any of those been taking the surveys?

(yes)

Steve: We're thinking of bringing a national brand on campus, so taht is the point of the survey. We are adding the empanadas into the sutdent union building. There will be work in the student union to allow more food options to be available. Our all you can eat and cafetria line will be in the College Terrace, and Element will be open in the evenings as well.

Bouton: For Hugos Fresh Nest, for the smoothies is there a way to add an option for a single fruit smoothie instead of having to be multiple fruits or flavors?

Steve: This stuff is super easy, it's all about manipulating Grubhub. What I would suggest, she (Kerry) should meet directly with Grubhub changes and go through menu items and see what can be done. If you wouldn't mind reaching out to Mike.

Gage: One, that kind of option exists at WOW with the sauces so you guys can base off that. Also, at Pomodoros the pizza is frequently extremey floppy and everything slides off.

Mike: We'll work on it.

Lenape: So, at Pomodoros there is no option for a gluten free pizza meal swipe. Is there a way we can add it and make it a meal swipe?

Mike: I will definitely take a look at that.

Abby: Alright, that seems like everything. Thank you all so much for coming and participating!

ROLL CALL/HALL REPORTS 9:46 PM

Abby: Hey everyone! So when I call your hall, if you can give me the number of people representing your hall, how many RHSA shirts you have on, how many NRHH shirts you have on, how many Conference shirts you have on, and a hall report from your hall gov if you have one.

Hall Name	Number	RHSA	NRHH	Conference	Hall Report
	Present	Shirts	Shirts	Shirts	
Ashokan	2	2	0	0	St paddys day jeopardy on
					wednesday 8pm
Awosting	0	0	0	0	-
Bliss	2	0	0	0	-
Bouton	11	8	0	0	-
Capen	3	0	0	0	Paint and switch wednesday at 8
Collango	3	1	0	0	-
Esopus					-
Gage	4	1	0	0	-
Lenape	1	0	0	0	Destress tuesday at 6 slime
					thursday at 7
Minnewaska	2	0	0	0	-
Ridgeview	1	0	0	0	Arts and crafts part 2 april 1 7pm
Scudder	3	1	0	0	Collab with ra molly, self care
					night thursday 9pm
Shawangunk	3	3	0	0	Thursday 7pm collab w awosting
					for orgami night

Abby: Alright thank you, one more thing at the end of the meeting if you are not on the email blast please come up after so you can be added to it and get the minutes and updates on programs.

SENATE 9:49PM

Ann: Hey guys! 3 reports. First, the SA, RHSA collab is tomorrow! 6pm in the CSB audtiorium! The flyer in the daily digest has the wrong location, we will put a sign on LC 104 saying the location change, but if you hear or see confused people just help direct them to the CSB auditorium. You all have the flyers in your folders!

Second, SA elections are live! They run until Thursday at noon. How you vote is go on engage, click sign in, once you sign in a banner will pop up saying to vote, and explans what SA is. Yes you vote on student leadership, which is imporant, but also the student activity fee, it is the first

thing you vote on. It is the 105 dollars you all pay that funds many things on campus like clubs, Black Solidarity Day, free legal counseling, transportation services, and so much more. More than 500 of the programs were held by SA clubs and orgs. So, this fee is extremely important to student life. You are choosing between mandatory or voluntary. Mandatory means that everyone should pay for it, which is what we are vvying for. If it is made optional more than likely people will opt out (which is valid) but then there would be less funding for everything I mentioned before. So, everyone please vote mandatory! Also, there are a bunch of constitutional amendments that are important for you to understand, like a committee to oversee the menstrual products in the SUB. So please read them carefully and vote yes. Kerry is a good resource if there are any questions. We need 500 votes if we don't meet that, everything goes away, please vote!

NRHH 9:54PM

Eddie: NRHH Recruitment has begun!! If you would like to learn more about NRHH or learn about the application process, see me after the meeting!

RIDDLE IN THE MINUTES 9:54PM

Abby: Welcome back to Riddle in the Minutes! Our riddle this past week was "Who on the E-Board is graduating in May?" The correct answer is Abby, Faith, Ryan, and Fiona. We had three halls answer this week! Congratulations to Shawangunk who was first, and second was Bouton, and third was Gage!

NEW BUSINESS 9:55PM

Motion To Open New Business: gage

Second: Minnewaska

NPLC ANNOUNCEMENT *explain QR code and hand out clothespins* 9:55PM

Athena: If you have not grabbed your clothes pins yet, please grab them! You have 19 so you'll be able to trade with every hall. There is a competition for best clothespin, the theme is spring, so as long as it as your hall on it, and it's spring themed, you're all good!

In your folders is a QR code to the packet for easier access. The link will also be in the minutes and the email blast. If you need help or have any questions, just let me know! Remember to take a look so you know who youre presenting with. Try to make sure your partner hall is engaged so your presentation can be the best possible!

It's that time of year to get excited about the New Paltz Leadership Conference! NPLC is what the National Communications Coordinators of RHSA does to help not only educate Hall Government about NEACURH and NACURH, but also to help all of you build skills as a leader. New Paltz Leadership Conference is an event made to model what it would be like to be at a regional conference. Of course, a regional conference is done on a much larger scale and it is impossible to get everything that comes with a regional conference we will be doing everything together step by step. NPLC is a leadership conference for everyone living on campus to come out and meet people that you would not have known otherwise, show off your hall's spirit, learn how to be the best leader you can be and most importantly have fun! I have so many things planned for us! We hope to see you there! NPLC will be held on April 13th from 11:00 AM - 7:30 PM in LC 104.

Link to NPLC Packet:

https://www.canva.com/design/DAF9Xr551wl/gFDrP2g9MJvjUxxQMM71Cg/view?utm_con tent=DAF9Xr551wl&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=editor

HALLYWOOD 9:59PM

Eddie: Like the wonderful Hallywood video from last year you just got to watch, we'll be doing Hallywood this year! If you scan this QR code it will get you to the packet. Hallywood is something RHSA puts on every year. Each of your hall gov's get together to make videos based on a theme. This year's theme for Hallywood is going to be TikTok Virality! You're going to work with your hall gov to make an original video and compete against other residence halls to earn your star on the Hallywood walk of fame and show New Paltz who's the next big thing on campus. This video can be anything Tiktok themed. You must submit a sheet signed by your RA liaison announcing what your video will be about by April 1st. *Name one of President Wheeler's past careers* We've given you all a copy of that sheet, and it's also in the packet if you need an extra. We ask that you submit that by April 1st just so we can make sure your idea does not exceed a PG13 rating. It has to be 3 to 5 minutes long and cannot be outside those limits. All of these rules and guidelines are in the packet. The videos themselves will be uploaded on April 22nd during the AC meeting. The following week at the Associate Council meeting, we can show all of your videos! Then everybody is going to vote with a certain rubric where the highest average score will win the viewer's choice award, and then the E-Bard will view the videos and we'll vote with a separate rubric. The highest overall score from the viewers win the Hallywood Viewers Choice Award, and the Eboard will choose the Hallywood Walk of Fame Winners! Just for a quick timeline: April 1st is when your proposals are due, April 22nd is when videos will be uploaded and you must tag RHSA.NEWPALTZ on tiktok. April 29th is when the AC will view the videos, and the winners will be announced on May 6th!

Link to Hallywood Packet: Hallywood Packet Spring 2024.pdf

NOMINATIONS 10:06PM

Abby: As a reminder, secretary materials are due by the end of our meeting tonight. PR materials are due at the end of next meeting!

Jacob, you tabled for historian, do you accept table or decline? (Table)

Matthew, you tabled for historian, do you accept table or decline? (Table)

Abby: Are there any more nominations?

Motion to Close Secretary nominations until Spring 2025: Gage Second: Capen

ELECTION 10:08PM

Abby: We will now begin the Treasurer elections! Just a reminder that if you leave the room, you cannot reenter and there is to be no verbal communication and no technology. We will have an E-Board member keeping an eye out and if they catch you with technology, they will ask you to leave.

If you are running for Treasurer, please stand! We are going to ask the candidate to leave the room and we will invite you back in for your speech.

Faith: The roles of treasurer are:

- A. Responsible for maintaining accurate documentation of the current RHSA budget;
- B. Pays all approved expenses by following the procedure for Disbursing Orders (D.O.'s);
 - a. (D.O.'s must be handed in within two weeks or expense will be denied reimbursement)
- C. Works alongside the current President, President-elect, and Treasurer-elect to create the budget for the following year;
- D. Works with the President to review all Funding Requests submitted to RHSA and approves or denies each request;
 - a. Funding Requests shall follow procedures outlines in Article 13, Section 4;
- E. Maintains communication with the CAS office
- F. Holds a position on the CAS Board of Directors and attends monthly CAS Board meetings;
- G. Attends all President's Cabinet meetings;
- H. Maintains open communication with the Executive Board and Advisors about the current budget;
- I. Works alongside an Advisor to coordinate the Care Package program through On Campus Marketing (OCM).

Abby: We are now going to have 5 minutes to list expectations of the Treasurer, which begins with the first placard.

Expectations: 10:11PM

- Timely
- Good at math
- Transparency
- Trustworthy

- Approachable
- Organized
- A tad bit of experience

Motion to Close Expectations without additions: gage

Second: shawangunk

Micaela: Hi everyone! I will keep this as short and sweet as possible. For those who don't know me, I'm Micaeala i use she/her pronouns, im a sophomore psychology major with a minor in social justice educational studies. I've been involved in hall gov and RHSA in some capacity for two years. This year I am Shawangunk's RHSA rep. In my two years at New Paltz i have found a community in the hals and hall government. This is why I want to challenge myself by taking an RHSA e-board position. I am the current treasurer of the national residence hall honorary, RHSA's sister organization. Because of this I am very familiar with the proceedings and regulations at CAS, who all the treasurers work with. Last semester I was the treasurer of Alpha Phi Omega, the service fraternity, so I have a lot of treasurer experience already. Some other skills and experiences I have that would serve me well in this position are my organizational skills, my interperosnal and communication skills, working as a student ambassador giving tours has allowed me to solidify my personality as a people person which allows me to work with students with a diverse background. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Motion to Open Question and Answer: Minnewaska

Second: Capen

QUESTION AND ANSWER

Abby: We will now have 5 minutes of Question & Answer extendable up to 3 times. We will be using the speakers list for q and a it is 5 minutes and extendable up to three times i would like to see at least three questions asked to our candidate remember this is the candidate that you are choosing to represent you all for the next academic year so please make sure that you are asking things and not just like " what's your favorite color". You want to know what this candidate can do to their ability. Ok we will start with the first placard that is up in the air.

Scudder: What is the hardest issue you faced in a treasury position?

Micaela: In another club i was taking over the position when it wasnt in a good place. So I had to work on what was done incorrectly in the past. I am no longer treasurer for that organization but I still help the current treasurer to make sure that they are in a good placeand everything is going well.

Minnie: Question struck from record.

Collango: Do you think your position as treasurer in NRHH could be confusing for this position?

Micaela: Since we;re sister organizations, I can only be on one E-Board at a time, so I would step down from NRHH. In general, I'm very organized and good at keeping things separate, so I think I would be able to keep things pretty separate.

DISCUSSION 10:17PM

Bliss believes Micaela has a lot of previous experience, making us confident in her abilities

Scudder feels she is able to hold herself well.

Gage believes she is excited for the position and is appropriate for the position.

Motion to Close Discussion without additions: Gage

Second: Collango

Votes:

Micaela:18

No Confidence: 0

Abstain: 2

Abby: Congratulations Micaela on becoming the next Treasurer of RHSA!

Motion To Close New Business: Gage

Second: Shawangunk

UPCOMING EVENTS

- The Menstrual Movement | Tuesday March 19th at 6pm | CSB AUD
- New Paltz Leadership Conference | Saturday April 13th at 11am | LC 104

HALL CONCERNS 10:24PM

Abby: If there's something wrong in your hall that you have already talked to your RAs, SRA, and RD about and nothing has been done, now is your time to tell us.

Awosting: There are still a significant number of residents within Awosting with no microwaves.

Ridgeview: We have two machines down currently, I just wanted to bring it up so we don't have to wait as long as last time (hopefully)

Gage: handicap accessibility issues with zero waste room and laundry rooms

YTD from a bunch of halls on this, Abby will look into it campus wide.

STUDENT CONCERNS 10:27PM

Abby: If you have general concerns for things going on campus-wide (something's broken, wrong, administrative concerns, faculty concerns), this is your moment to tell us so we can relay the information to the administration. However, if you have any food concerns (type, quality, price, location), we will not hear them at this point but you can email us at <u>rhsa@newpaltz.edu</u>

OPEN FLOOR: 10:27PM

Abby: If you have a program, meeting or any other announcement that you would like to share with the Associate Council, now is your time to share! Are there any open floors?

Eddie: The Career Resource Center will be tabling in Perrys tomorrow Tuesday, March 19th from 1:30-3pm. We will be collecting data through surveys to better understand student needs and how to fulfil them.

Gage: Just another reminder about SA elections, please vote! It's super important!

PASSING OF MOLLY THE MOOSE 10:30PM

Back with E-Board for spring break!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK 10:30PM

"I'm just glad that you and I are alive at the same time" - End of the Water (FEEL) by Waterparks

ADJOURNMENT 10:31PM

Motion To Adjourn the Meeting: Faith

Second: Micaela

NO MEETING UNTIL MONDAY APRIL 1ST