CosmicWatch is an inexpensive “home-built” cosmic ray detector designed by physicists at the Laboratory for Nuclear Science at MIT. You can read more about it here: http://cosmicwatch.lns.mit.edu/about
The series of posts below describes my adventures in building one of these things (at work, not at home), as well as seeing just how “inexpensive” it actually is.
- CosmicWatch Project, Episode 1: Getting Started (7 June 2018)
- Cosmic Watch: Initial Cost Estimate (28 June 2018)
- Cosmic Watch: Purchasing the Parts
- Cosmic Watch: Circuit Boards
- Cosmic Watch: Silicon PhotoMultiplier (SiPM)