Submission: Hand in hard copy in class.
Details: Ideally, the essay will focus on the platform topic you chose for your photo essay (if you switch topics, let instructor know). In a 5-page paper, students will focus on the platform topic they chose, research a 2020 presidential candidate’s policy proposal/plan related to that platform (using their official website for the information), and analyze how the policy/plan would impact that feminist platform (thwart, support, limit, expand, etc). This is your paper’s thesis argument. Students may choose ANY presidential candidate–no restrictions on party affiliation. The essay is an opportunity to develop and then demonstrate your own feminist perspective on the topic. Keep in mind that although we often think about many issues as partisan (that is, identified with a particular political party), a feminist perspective is often broader and more intersectional than the perspectives typically taken up by political parties in electoral systems of governance.
- if a student chose to focus on the platform health, they might choose to think through Democrat Elizabeth Warren’s plan for addressing the maternal mortality crisis.
- if a student chose to focus on the platform environment, they might choose to think through Republican Mark Sanford’s position on conservation.
- Draw from at least two of the course readings to support your analysis, being sure to demonstrate full comprehension of the readings you utilize. (This means that you demonstrate a full understanding of the author’s overarching argument and are not simply quoting randomly to fulfill this part of the assignment.) Part of the evaluation of your essay will be based on the relevance and effective use of the materials you have chosen. One of the readings must be from the readings assigned on that topic, but the other can be from earlier in the semester. For example, with “family” you might incorporate readings from the “gender” readings.
- You will defend or prove your thesis by using specific evidence from your sources and analyzing them effectively.
- Use parenthetical citations in your paper and include a properly formatted works cited.
- Please use 12 pt. font (Times New Roman preferred) and double-space your essay with one-inch margins.
- Your essay should be appropriately titled in the header (your name, date, WOM 220, Platforms Essay).
- Please give a descriptive title to your essay, and center it above your essay.
- Please paginate your essay in the upper right hand corner.
|Possible Points||Criteria||Points Earned|
|8||Analysis: How you make your argument.|
|· paragraphs focused and coherent; logical transitions; introduction engages initial interest; conclusion supports without repeating|
|· analyze how the policy/plan would impact that feminist platform (thwart, support, limit, expand, etc)|
|· use of keywords and phrases from class/readings|
|8||Content: How you handle sources and evidence.|
|· argument supported with concrete and substantial evidence from relevant materials|
|· effective use of quotations from readings|
|2||Presentation: How your paper looks.|
|· formatting, grammar, composition, punctuation, and spelling|
|2||Style: How your paper sounds.|
|· tone complements subject, authorial persona, audience considered|
|5||Documentation & Sources: How your paper meets the requirements.|
|· 5 pages|
|· parenthetical references, works cited, margins, font, spacing, etc.|
|· 1 outside source/candidate’s website|
|· 2 of the course readings|